Accurate 3d printed First Order Stormtrooper

Johnny Karate

Hello all,

First of all, thanks for having me!

I've been lurking around the forum and seen some amazing builds. I grew up watching Star Wars with my Dad and made my first Vader suit when I was 12... from papermaché and cardboard. I couldn't find the picture of it but let me say... I needed some more practice :D

I've been doing props for 4 years now and a while back I decided to go for a 3d printer... find out to model my own stuff.

Over a year ago I wanted to make a File for the new Storm Trooper Armor for myself that would be approvable for the 501st. Reference was scarce (for polygonal modeling) and I just made the Helmet back then. It was pretty decent but some details were off and the shape of the dome wasn't 100%.
A buddy of mine sent me a low poly game model to look at and it came with textures. That was awesome because that gave me something to start with. A lot of details on the textures were just right and the overall proportions looked correct. I used it as a base reference to make my own model. I have sinced tracked down the origin of the model and I believe that it was JakeGreen163 on DeviantArt who made it available.
I've since had help from some dedicated Star Wars Costume Pros who pointed out various mistakes and things to improve at.
A lot of hours and dedication have gone into making this a very high quality model, as close to the real thing as possible.

501st, here I come :D

Some details on the model: 
- The hexagonal structure on the Helmet would have been really hard to model and post process, so I came up with two 3d printer-friendly solution. 
First: A glue-on solution: The hexagonal structure is printed flat and then glued in place. 
Second: The hexagonal structure can be inserted into a small undercut and is held in place by the "Nose"-section.
If you don't understand what I mean, look at the pictures.

- Visor-Stencil: I have a vacformer but I figured, since it is not a requirement for the 501st approval to have a bubble lens. I could just as well make a cutout for the visor since that is easier to apply a black tint to. So I made a stencil that would fit just right.

I already printed the helmet. I'm prepping the rest of the suit next. Progress on this will not be super fast because I print a lot for customers as well.

TFA Helmet:

ep7 3ep7 2ep7 1

TLJ Helmet:

ep8 3ep8 2ep8 1

Hexagonal inserts:

hexinsertshexespnghex

Rest of the suit:

ST13ST12ST10ST11ST9ST8ST7ST6st5ST3st2ST1

Helmet with undercut that even Anovos was missing until now:

undercut

Edited by Johnny Karate
  • Like 3

Interested in following this, I'm curious about the whole process from bottom to top.

What do you do make the file print it, mold it, than cast it or am I still thinking in terms of other types of props. Never 3d printed anything but keep thinking about getting into it someday

20 hours ago, Benjamin Low said:

Cool!... Another Sean Fields in the making.

Am I missing something here?

21 hours ago, heartstopper85 said:

Interested in following this, I'm curious about the whole process from bottom to top.

What do you do make the file print it, mold it, than cast it or am I still thinking in terms of other types of props. Never 3d printed anything but keep thinking about getting into it someday

I am just going to print the file and post process the printed parts (sanding, painting etc.) to make them wearable. No molding and casting required.

On 28.11.2017 at 10:05 AM, The5thHorseman said:

Won't say I'm impressed. Basically, all the most challenging and difficult work of proportions and shapes was done only thanks to the game model. At least you're honest about it.

Yes, a lot of the painstaking work was sidestepped, I agree. But having a good reference model, even with textures only goes so far. Creating a high poly 3d printable model with all the details (especially the helmet) was a long process that took quite some effort.

11 minutes ago, Johnny Karate said:

Am I missing something here?

Sean modeled and released a full Shoretrooper for 3D printing and used it to be cleared into the 501st.   He made the files available for free to those who wanted them.

On 29/11/2017 at 11:38 AM, Johnny Karate said:

Yes, a lot of the painstaking work was sidestepped, I agree. But having a good reference model, even with textures only goes so far. Creating a high poly 3d printable model with all the details (especially the helmet) was a long process that took quite some effort.

Of course, and believe me I understand that it still requires work. I'm just a bit bitter because so far I had to struggle for all my 3D models with reference pictures only, which takes twice more time, and makes things harder when it comes to interpret details. Actually, if someone was ripping the F-11D model from Battlefront II, he could probably create a better blaster model than mine in less than a week of work and without even bothering with reference pictures.

Also, I took a look at all the pictures you posted over the RPF, and my only advice would be to make the yoke proper. Instead of how you have it now (ANOVOS v1 style) it should be full across the chest like a second, inner chestplate.

On 1.12.2017 at 10:54 AM, The5thHorseman said:

Of course, and believe me I understand that it still requires work. I'm just a bit bitter because so far I had to struggle for all my 3D models with reference pictures only, which takes twice more time, and makes things harder when it comes to interpret details. Actually, if someone was ripping the F-11D model from Battlefront II, he could probably create a better blaster model than mine in less than a week of work and without even bothering with reference pictures.

Also, I took a look at all the pictures you posted over the RPF, and my only advice would be to make the yoke proper. Instead of how you have it now (ANOVOS v1 style) it should be full across the chest like a second, inner chestplate.

I modeled a lot of stuff now and I know how much of a pain it is by only going after reference pictures. I have recently finished the young Boba helmet from the animated series and that took me about a week.

final.png.e34aae1f12391c1f492fe03162daf67d.png

As for your idea about the yoke being an extra inner chest plate... that is actually not a bad idea. It would add stability as well. I might do that.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Over Christmas and New Years I've been busy with family stuff and friends. I did manage to squeeze in some printing and post processing time though. On the left is the first test print that I've made of the helmet. On the right is the updated version in ABS. You can see the registration shape for the "Nose" pretty well here. Don't judge me for not sanding the welding marks :D the nose will cover them up anyways.

IMG_20180103_152648

• Like 2

Over Christmas and New Years I've been busy with family stuff and friends. I did manage to squeeze in some printing and post processing time though. On the left is the first test print that I've made of the helmet. On the right is the updated version in ABS. You can see the registration shape for the "Nose" pretty well here. Don't judge me for not sanding the welding marks  the nose will cover them up anyways.

39503570002_b2ab3ca107_b.jpg  
Wow!!! Absolutely stunning!!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk