Santa Hat, where?

MLeech77

I have seen a bunch of posts as I was searching around with TKs sporting a Santa hat that actually fits. Where have y’all been finding them? I have looked at local stores like Walmart and Target with no luck. The “oversized” one I got off Amazon was just long, and not wide enough for my bucket. I have a few holiday troops coming up and thought I would be a festive addition.

I thought I saw a thread about someone making them, but can’t seem to find it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Have made a few ;). I use 1 and 1/2 hats which fits quite nicely. Just a case of unpicking seams and sewing in a new section. I fit elastic from on side to the other, then in the middle of that another piece attaches and fits in the middle of the back. When you put it on the helmet the T shape of elastic holds it there quite well.

Bu2W2Xf.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Pretzel said:

How much for a handful of Santa Hats!? I also require a candy cane. Standard Issue it appears to be ;)

I'd say shipping from down under would be pretty expensive.

For the canes $3 we only have one supplier here, which unfortunately have sold out but awaiting more stock.

Lights are $3 battery powered string, which are too long so I fold in half then twist and pull through with a piece of wire

Just a tip wait for the boxing day sales and you can usually pick up hats, canes and light quite cheaply ;) 

They do look cool in a pageant ;) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pretzel said:

Curious though, any tutorials out there that shows how to mend two santa hats to fit on a tk? Trying to find something, and my research is failing. lol

My hats get dropped off today, my sewing skills aren't the best, but if I come up with something usable I'll post something up.

• Like 1

I picked up this from amazon: Beistle 20731 Velvet Santa Hat with Plush Trim, One Size Fits Most (Red/White) [2-Pack] https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077BNW839/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_OYYjAb0E4Y2CQ

Using a seam ripper I split one of the two hats along one seam up to the ball on top. The other hat I split along both seams to remove one section of the hat. Using some safety pins I spliced in the removed section into the first hat and test fitted it on the helmet. It was a little loose, but close enough along the original seam lines. After that it always as simple as running a stitch line up the original seam lines of the hat to make the addition permanent.

My sewing skills suck, but it’ll do for a quick job.

9e3e1d87953a2a49522a1d538af4e266.jpg

• Like 3

A couple of extra things.
1) Flip the hat inside out to do the stitching.
2) Don’t run the stitch all the way up to the top, you need a small gap to flip the ball back outside of the hat. Once back on the outside just put a little dab of the glue of your choice to seal the tip of the spliced piece against the ball.

• Like 1

One of my garrison mates told me that he used one of those oversized red stockings to make his TK santa hat.  It looked fantastic!  

Magnets are a great idea to hold the santa hat on!  Why didn't I consider that option?  I ended up using velcro stuck to my helmet and sewn onto the hat in four 2-inch sections (one on the front, back, left, right).  I can easily remove the sticky velcro part off the lid after the holidays.  It stuck well and stayed put during (and after!) the parade.

27095644239_787dd19734_o.jpg

• Like 1