Anzo's TFA FOTK/TLJ Executioner Builds (KB) aka the Terrible Twofer!

Anzo

I'm almost to the stage where I start prepping the pieces for painting. Quick question about the biceps however.

KB's pulls on the ridges are a bit soft for my liking. 

N7eQZ14l.jpg

Would it help if I took a file to the seams and trapezoid lines to give them more definition? I want them to "pop" a bit more through the paint.

Edited by Anzo

:blink: 

That is certainly the best option but perhaps biting off more than I can chew at the moment. I'll have to give it some thought if I want to tackle that method. 

• Like 1

First Test Fitting:

As I'm finishing up initial assembly, I felt it appropriate to do a test fitting to see how everything is coming together. Will the help of my wife, daughter, and copious amounts of tape, here is what we are working with. Keep in mind the following caveats:

1) There is no strapping going on right now.

2) I am wearing my upper body gaskets in these photos, which are just stuffed in-between the biceps and forearms, but not the knee/thigh gaskets.

3) I'm not exactly sure where the butt plate is supposed to line up in relation to the kidney plate so I don't know if it is too low or not.

WG4WRfYl.jpg2fVztXTl.jpg

FUq1Zmrl.jpgKYy1GAOl.jpg

Some things I see are:

1) I need to widen the elbow gaskets to fit the circumference of the bicep more. Geeky Pink sent them to me with a lot of extra material on the inside so that will be easy to do.

2) I also will need to bring the chest piece down a little. It looks like I have no neck in these photos. 

3) I might need to trim some more off the back of the legs and around near the cod. 

4) How would I prevent the posterior piece from flaring out like that?

Thoughts?

• Like 2

Wow, you're really getting somewhere now! :)

The belt holds the posterior in place in tandem with the elastic/snaps that will run between the kidney plate and the posterior plate. If you are still having problems with the posterior plate flaring out after the belt and snaps are in place, you can run a strap between the cod piece and the posterior piece between your legs that will pull the posterior plate in more snuggly. I cut my thighs down significantly to allow room between the cod/posterior plates, but I didnt make those cuts until I had the suit strapped.

To my eyes, it looks like your left bicep is pretty wide - you might want to consider tightening that up as it stands out to my eyes. Other than that, definitely a very strong first fitting! :D

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Anzo said:

3) I'm not exactly sure where the butt plate is supposed to line up in relation to the kidney plate so I don't know if it is too low or not.

The waist belt separates the lower edge of the kidney and the posterior upper edge or horizontal section.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ruthar said:

Wow, you're really getting somewhere now! :)

The belt holds the posterior in place in tandem with the elastic/snaps that will run between the kidney plate and the posterior plate. If you are still having problems with the posterior plate flaring out after the belt and snaps are in place, you can run a strap between the cod piece and the posterior piece between your legs that will pull the posterior plate in more snuggly. I cut my thighs down significantly to allow room between the cod/posterior plates, but I didnt make those cuts until I had the suit strapped.

To my eyes, it looks like your left bicep is pretty wide - you might want to consider tightening that up as it stands out to my eyes. Other than that, definitely a very strong first fitting! :D

I'll have to double check the circumference of the left one when I get off work today. If you recall that is the one I shimmed because I thought it was too small compared to the right. Perhaps I was incorrect and that accounts for the extra wideness. Good catch and thank you!

4 minutes ago, ukswrath said:

BTW looking awesome, can't wait to see this finished

Thank you! I was surprised myself when I saw the photos. Really coming along. I should be painting by next weekend hopefully.

I would be for certain but when I began to assemble the thighs last week I noticed that KB did not include the holster rail when I received the kit in November and I failed to recognize that until now. Now I have to wait on him to send me a new one. He said he would ship it on Tuesday but I never got a confirmation number. Then again I didn't when he sent the TD plate he forgot as well so fingers crossed! 

• Like 1

@Ruthar I measured the biceps again and yes, the left one was about 12 mm wider than the right one. It was on account of the bicep shim I had made previously. So I removed the shim and reglued and they are equal in size now. Thanks again for the input!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Anzo said:

@Ruthar I measured the biceps again and yes, the left one was about 12 mm wider than the right one. It was on account of the bicep shim I had made previously. So I removed the shim and reglued and they are equal in size now. Thanks again for the input!

No worries, glad it was a simple fix! :)

I'll have some updates this weekend once I get a bit more time. I've just been filling in seams, sanding them down and prepping all the pieces for painting.

I have one dilemma I would like some input on however. As I mentioned earlier, KB failed to send me the ABS holster mount (I have the holster). I was also negligent and lost one of the chest greeblies.

GdytvwOm.jpg

He has promised that he would send a replacement greeblie and the rail "today" for nearly 3 weeks now. I was hoping to paint starting early next week and I'm starting to stress a little bit about that. My kit arrived after 8 months of "shipping today" so I don't want a repeat of that. I have two garrison mates with 3D printers and had the thought that they could print me a replacement rail and greeble but I don't know where to find files for such specific parts. 

Any thoughts?

Edited by Anzo

1 hour ago, Anzo said:

I'll have some updates this weekend once I get a bit more time. I've just been filling in seams, sanding them down and prepping all the pieces for painting.

I have one dilemma I would like some input on however. As I mentioned earlier, KB failed to send me the ABS holster mount (I have the holster). I was also negligent and lost one of the chest greeblies.

He has promised that he would send a replacement greeblie and the rail "today" for nearly 3 weeks now. I was hoping to paint starting early next week and I'm starting to stress a little bit about that. My kit arrived after 8 months of "shipping today" so I don't want a repeat of that. I have two garrison mates with 3D printers and had the thought that they could print me a replacement rail and greeble but I don't know where to find files for such specific parts. 

What should I do?

Wait

Seam Filling-Arms, Shin Boxes, AB/Kidney:

With initial assembly mostly completed, it was time to fill in the seams that shouldn't be there and smooth them out in preparation for painting. To do so I used PPG DFL1, a one process automotive spot putty.

Fr5O5GOl.jpg

I strapped on my ventilator and got to work. The application process was pretty simple, apply just enough to the putty spreader and apply it evenly along the seams. Try your best to thin it out as it will make the sanding down process easier. I then left it to set overnight.

NOTE: This is the first time I have ever used something like this so it may look a little messy to those more experienced with the substance. *cough* Tony *cough*

wV3GYgwl.jpg

TkvYUbQl.jpgBLqB7nul.jpg

Vm0DzEAl.jpgJpkpDkgl.jpg

The next day I began to sand down the seams with a bucket of water and Wet/Dry 220 grit sand paper initially and then W/D 400 grit for the fine tuning. My goal was to sand it down such so that

A) There was no seam and

B ) I could run my finger across the surface and not feel any bumps.

After I was satisfied with the work, I sanded down the rest of the pieces with W/D 400 grit sand paper and taped off the areas where I will affix the greeblies.equbwlal.jpglwxpNhgl.jpg

I68Dymdl.jpgtSiQJ7ml.jpg

tqXsNPOl.jpg

Recall that I had to fix the upper forearms with some shims, as such I needed to fill in those parts as well. Here they are after being sanded down.

0fTpegsl.jpgqSuEICzl.jpg

• Like 2

Seam Filling - Yokes:

To fill the seams/gaps of the TK and Executioner yoke, I opted to use the same materials and process as outlined in Ukswrath's build thread.

Using Devcon Plastic Welder II, an epoxy gun and associated tips, I applied the glue into the gaps left from both yoke assemblies.

1ntrImZl.jpgkMihtCwl.jpg

After letting that cure for a few hours (I believe it sets much faster than that, I was just busy doing other things) I applied the DLF1 and used the same process as described in the above post.

Before:

pgw0xSgl.jpgRpqaWjXl.jpg

After:

feEZy78l.jpgL30BsQol.jpg

• Like 2

Spats Pt 2: Accuracy and Snaps

More paint prep, this time with the Spats. They are tricky to line up and in doing so you will get little "fangs" that hang down at the connecting points. I forgot to take a decent picture highlighting this but you can see it on the right spat here. It is more pronounced at the clasping end as well.

R6lGhcAl.jpg

Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong here, but this is NOT necessary for approval, but it does give the spat a cleaner look. This method is highlighted in great detail in Ukswrath's thread. Since I essentially followed that tutorial I'll just refer you there. 

It can be tricky to glue the connections down in preparation to sand the fangs but keep at it due to the wonkiness of the pieces. Be sure to glue them down with E6000 and NOT anything more permanent! You'll want to eventually separate this connection.

21RA0C0l.jpg

Post Fang Removal:

QMt3KI2l.jpg

I also installed the female snaps in each spat per Tony's method described in the linked post above, who in turn borrowed it from Clint's build. I don't know who Clint is but thank you good sir. Does this make me your spat grandson? :laugh1:

XbsIWixl.jpg

b8T06D3l.jpg

Pv3abHGl.jpg

Spats are ready for painting. 

Edited by Anzo

Thigh Holster:

KB came through and delivered the holster rail yesterday! Time to get down to business. I trimmed the rail down to about a 1/2" on the front facing side and slightly longer on the rear facing side to account for the slight curvature of the leg.

zrkhI8Al.jpg?1

I had marked where the greeblie will go previously but I double checked the distance. Mine was 44 mm from top edge to the marked line. Others have said 2 inches down from the top but it just looked a little low for my liking. 44 mm is just about 1 3/4". Somebody correct me if I'm wrong about that but I think as long as you are in that ball park you are good to go. All that to say that I measured down 44 mm from the greeblie demarcation to install the rail as well. I then applied some devcon glue to the edges and affixed the rail to the thigh.  I opted for the devcon glue because A) It could be applied to a smaller ledge more easily than the Weld-On and B ) I had a good amount left over still, might as well use it! 

ggxyMe7l.jpg

It should sit as close to the seam as possible, without covering it. 

KB provided a 3D printed holster with the kit and I'm content to use that since I'm not aiming for a functional holster. I cleaned it up a bit, applied more devcon and affixed it to the rail.

tP561Qbl.jpg

SUJ7bzvl.jpg?1

Edited by Anzo
  • Like 3

Paint Prep:

I snagged some scrap wood planks from a contractor friend of mine and mounted the greeblies, ab boxes, knee plates, belt boxes and hand guards.

rv2CtXCl.jpg

I also sanded down the helmet so that the paint matches head to toe. Thankfully the nose bridge of the helmet is slightly elevated so I was able to wedge in tap under that to get clean lines. I also used an exacto knife on the neckline features. You may be wondering about the tape stuffed in the vents. Wellllll, long before I switched to KB's kit, I had the Anovos kit on order, thought its arrival was soonish had already installed Tony's FOTK audio kit. I gave one corner a tug to see how easily the foam backing might dislodge and...nothing doing. So that is to hopefully protect the speakers from the paint. Fingers crossed or else Tony might get another sale as a result!

xzzGPRSl.jpgjQBQqKSl.jpg

2t89hbKl.jpg

Finally, I taped off and covered with plastic grocery bags the black portion of the Executioner Yoke as that will be painted later.

YuenI4p.jpg

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, lucnak said:

Good to see you got the greeblies! :)

Yes! A big big thank you to lucnak for sending me his spare chest greeblies from his KB FO Tie build. Troopers helping troopers. :salute:

• Like 1