Wook's First Build - ANH Stunt TK (AP)

wook1138

On 2/7/2018 at 4:18 AM, Bud Spaklur said:

Amen to that. Being 5’7” makes the trimming and sizing of everything so much fun (sarcastic eye roll). I went to bed last night at 8 and my kids didn’t wake up until 5am today, so that means I should have energy to work on my gear tonight! Greg- since you’ll have nothing to post now for your build, that new-found time can go towards mentoring me!:P

I know how it feels!

6 hours ago, Pyrates said:

Absolutely stellar build thread Greg!

Your review process is under way - and you should be hearing from me very soon !

Thanks Aaron!  Got your message... so thank you for that too!

Approved! :smiley-sw013:

I have some EIB application pics to do this weekend. :D

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TheSwede said:

Congratulations Greg!:th_AnimatedBravoSmiley: Don`t forget (unless you already done so) to apply for 501st membership and get your TK designation - welcome Trooper:salute:

Thanks Daniel!  Membership application was sent and TK number is reportedly inbound.  I can finally finish the counter on my E-11 :)

I love the smell of "approved" in the morning.  It smells like... victory.

• Like 2

Thanks Aaron!  Got your message... so thank you for that too!

Approved! :smiley-sw013:

I have some EIB application pics to do this weekend.

Absolutely epic work mate and I look forward to seeing those EIB and Centurion approvals - I have no doubt that you can do it, and then I can add you to our Advanced Tactics Wall of Recognition!!!

Rock on Trooper
  • Like 1

Well, while I wait for my ID# to show up (10 days so far - just sayin'), I am picking away at a few things on the build - mainly the electronics.  I have a couple of fans and some tactical pads (from TK421propstop) as well as an Aker 1505 amp and an old iphone 5 with Troopertalk.  I wore my armor around the house the other day and realized that the fans need to go in pronto.  Until now, I had only wore the suit in our basement - where it is cool - the rest of the house is not as cool and I was a sweaty mess in no time at all.  I also need to find a lighter weight undersuit. 

Anyway, I rigged my helmet up with padding, fans, powersource for fans, and mic for talk assist system.  The only thing that didn't fit in the helmet was my head. :rolleyes:

So everything except the fans came out.  I've ordered a new USB power source, but I'm thinking everything will need to be located elsewhere.  Yeah, I have a big melon.  Pending adjustments will include:

• adding foam to fans so they are not so loud.  They are attached with Velcro and the edges are bumping up against the interior of the helmet.  I need to isolate them from the helmet with some thin foam (weather stripping or even poster putty).  Hearing will still be an issue but time will tell if I need to do something about that.
  • Cut custom pieces of soft foam for the padding.  The tactical foam pieces were just too thick for my melon.
  • I was wearing the mic when I tested everything - I will need to remove the mic from the supplied headset and mount in the helmet
  • trim back the screws that hold the helmet together and add caps of some sort to the ends. I wear a UnderArmor skull cap to catch sweat but it also does an awesome job at catching the screws as I try to cram my head into my bucket.
  • USB power source, iphone, and aker amp will either be installed within the torso someplace or I will come up with some manner of belt/harness to wear under the amour.  The 1505 amp is pretty heavy - I would rather attach it to a belt than have it stuck to the inside of the armor.

To be honest, as I look at what other troopers have done with their helmets, I am shocked that they can get their heads in there. 

By the way, if you are new to this and debating on whether or not you should bother with a voice system - debate no more.  Get one.  It really adds to the trooper persona. 

Anyway, gotta go check my email to see if my ID# has showed up yet.  :icon_beg:

• Like 2

Hi Greg,

I’m another one with a big head. ;-)

What you might find helpful is to put your lid on, then feel around with your hands to see where the space is.

For me, it was near my mouth and cheeks, so I put my cylindrical power bank near my right cheek (sort of).

Here’s a pic, if it helps. :-)

f9640226bbc019107d282a6403d01a75.jpg

80fc92b28e707501e3b4eb339acba954.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CableGuy said:

Hi Greg,

I’m another one with a big head. ;-)

What you might find helpful is to put your lid on, then feel around with your hands to see where the space is.

For me, it was near my mouth and cheeks, so I put my cylindrical power bank near my right cheek (sort of).

Here’s a pic, if it helps. :-)

f9640226bbc019107d282a6403d01a75.jpg

80fc92b28e707501e3b4eb339acba954.jpg

Thanks Dan!  Yeah, I was sort of thinking of putting my new USB power source somewhere in that general area.  I was hoping to put in along the back - I don't think that will happen - I'll see when it arrives.  I put my fans just below my frown, so I'll have to see what room is left.  I tried putting a piece of that padding at the back of my helmet like yours - my nose was mashed against the front and my eye lashes were brushing against the lens. :lol:

For running wires down towards the torso - do most just drop them down below the chin outside of the undersuit and neck seal (I tuck my neck seal in, but if I didn't I guess I could hide the wires behind the neck seal)?  They would be visible if I looked up - but I can't imagine that happening very often. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wook1138 said:

For running wires down towards the torso - do most just drop them down below the chin outside of the undersuit and neck seal

I’ve only got the one wire to hide, from my TRamp to my mic, so this just sits underneath the neck seal, straight down my front. As my TRamp unit is behind the chest plate, the cable is hidden nicely. :duim:

3 hours ago, wook1138 said:

For running wires down towards the torso - do most just drop them down below the chin outside of the undersuit and neck seal (I tuck my neck seal in, but if I didn't I guess I could hide the wires behind the neck seal)?  They would be visible if I looked up - but I can't imagine that happening very often. 

I run my mic wire under my neck seal. Everything else I have in the chest plate area.

• Like 1

Sorry it’s a grueling wait Matt, the approval process can sometimes take up to 3 weeks. I’m itching to introduce you to the rest of the Garrison - and you’re not alone either, there’s one other trooper that has been waiting for his ID as well - ugh.

I’m hoping they get back to us soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

I thought I would add a few pictures of me trying to decide on what to do with the electronics.

First I removed the mic from the headset that came with the Aker 1505 amp.
0ce090c4e6f945f4e20eccafc897cc24.jpg

Then mounted that right in the helmet. It was hard to squeeze my head into the helmet with extra things attached to it.
db512241f5bdc510212badc0649ba03b.jpg

Then i wanted to reduce the noise from the fans. I added foam to the backs and to the edges.

Remove old Velcro
e0265e8e8d27295b74df7882958e6c57.jpg

Cut out foam backing. Bought at Michaels. My 5 year old son proclaimed Michaels to be a “girl” store and questioned our presence there.
e884641624303eb1e94ae368058eec9f.jpg

I glued the backings on with this. I’m sure E6000 would work but I wasn’t sure about gluing the foam.
88513092138b980f0062ccebc659c108.jpg

Foam backing on
2de2b82b59940900c2ea1034c961d490.jpg

Added foam weather stripping to the edges and covered the back in Velcro.
1bffe503df417b96caebfebc7bd3de9d.jpg

Next was mounting the amp and USB power source. 2” nylon and 3/4” elastic glued to the inside of the chest.
900586fce0bc0555e1f5f691ecd00ce6.jpg

Add Velcro
edf2a7b176ea9b98a3840aca242ff38f.jpg

Aker amp in place
3e6790eedd473f408d8e5b1d715b97ae.jpg

USB power source on other side and iPhone will get attached to inside of ab behind small button plate (nice flat spot the right size).
7154da9fc331f3eb655622d987e46a61.jpg

Amp will be facing out. I can reach the volume for the amp for TrooperTalk and the power for the USB power (if I need to turn off the fans for some reason).

• Like 1

More audio testing today. Everything seemed fine until I put my armour on. There is a fair amount of static coming through the speaker as the electronics gets close to my body. In particular, my phone. Weird. My IS people always told me that my crappy computer performance was my fault - like I had a magnetic field around me that messed up electronics. I assumed they were either crazy or lazy. Anyway, it took some tweaking but I have the static reduced. The next thing was the fan noise coming through the mic. Turns out the arm of the mic picks up sound better than the mic itself. So I had to wrap foam around the entire mic.

b05579d3541f5ef4c2e8bb2b5616f01b.jpg

The whole set up (before I wrapped the mic in foam).
2d8462b1fbfc2595a9741850c47788ef.jpg

I need to figure out the wiring so I can actually get dressed and have everything plugged in. Oh, here comes my one-year-old daughter. Time to pack this mess up. She has a x-wing and not afraid to use it.

• Like 3