Wook's First Build - ANH Stunt TK (AP)

wook1138

What is that sewn-on snap piece for?

Attaches the shoulder bell to the shoulder strap (connecting the chest to the back). It is what keeps your arms on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, wook1138 said:

Oh yeah. I see. How did those guys walk around? Oh wait, they are just standing around getting berated . emoji2.png

Yepp:D I rather look good than move wellB)

Just now, Bud Spaklur said:

Is the sewn on snap needed for higher-level approvals?

No - interior strapping doesn`t affect any level of approval - then why the photos? To show others how you have done it so they can copy if they liked it.

But it`s a great felling knowing your suit is assembled just like they did it for the Movie, it is for me anyways:) and... it works really well:duim:

Trimming shins for size. The front got the standard 20mm coverstrip, so all the sizing is getting done on the back. Pretty straightforward.

Did a fitting and figured the overlap. Top of shin.
7a66d3a8b7d6268ca481a0ee244d8359.jpg

Bottom
c14065de1da3634ef19a441a908e4ec0.jpg

Measure overlap and divide by two. I always try to error on the large side, so I measure a little less than half.
8f6201aecbc95f3d4ab9883f6e4c5f9d.jpg

Apply to other side.
ca2deb0620925b8aad1c08321e53750c.jpg

Draw line and I cut with lexan scissors. Makes for a pretty clean cut.
c1cdec12a73caf4d8b8305a5a6abd393.jpg

Shins are sized (slightly on large side, just in case).
82532a2c0fa86764acfa303156ba0ad2.jpg

I will have to give the bottoms a hot bath to make the openings a bit more oval in shape. I think this is the right, my left shin is already a bit oval shaped.
a8429746744d1bcd97bdb26e4cc4f42a.jpg

Then I tackled the sniper knee and everything went... not as smooth.

Edited by wook1138
  • Like 1

Sniper knee plate - round one.

Once the shin was sized, I tried to shape the knee plate to fit the shin. I already offset the shin halves so now it was time for hot water bath.
7f1161c27adefd4d9e22b8712c125524.jpg

After a lot of bathes and trying to shape it, I tried to glue. I was making things worse with the hot baths and gave up.
24f1acd5d7026988822009808970de2b.jpg

I glued the front and right side first.
ef1dbb5b74a075cbcc3e541bae2708c4.jpg

I figured I could wrestle the left side later with the help of a heat gun
c79803febf11f8c47f8e47b3085e56f8.jpg

It wasn’t looking too bad.
9d11bdfdc5b5294e4e139d6b99490778.jpg

After I glued the left side (it was more than 24 hours since gluing the front and right side), things began to shift. I’m kind of a coward when it comes to the heat gun so I don’t think it did much. When I forced the left side into place, the rest of the plate moved.
06f66d08ad4891f6ab3e7525cf2c147a.jpg

Here is the result.
020bd1cf5648ff496b9ad4c63ff309e0.jpg

636ad2a0abb421214e7f3607a6d8545a.jpg

93bdb21ada04060876f9329723a20b29.jpg

My main concern is how it fits at the front. It is not centred and not fitted very well to the front of the shin. I think I will pull it apart and try again. I need another tube of E6000. That went fast.

• Like 1

Yeah. The sniper knee. Biggest challenge of my build. The left side is smaller than the return edge of the shin and will never look 100%. Mine is at an angle too from the front view. Couldn't be avoided. My only concern for you is the rather sharp corners I see from the underside shot. You might want to consider rounding them out a little to prevent it from splitting while you try to work it into place again. Here is a shot of where I got mine to after several hot water baths and removing almost the entire return edge on the bottom. I might have trimmed away even more. Looks like you've already done that. I'll get you a pic of my completed knee tomorrow.

.qu4pHKzl.jpg

Edited by Sean

Thanks Sean.  I got the trimmed kit, so there isn't much room to round those corners (that is pretty much the way it came) - but I'll certainly see what I can do.  I removed some return edge from the parts that wrap around the sides - there was extra material there and it was just getting in the way.  It is interesting to see how the piece looks when not attached.  How long did you keep it in the water each time?  I suspect my lack of patience is getting the best of me.

On 1/22/2018 at 2:25 AM, TheSwede said:

You can weather it - just not "Sandtrooper-style" here`s a great example on what you can to and still reach Centurion. (shout out to T-Jay):jc_doublethumbup:

That's great!  I thought I had read somewhere that you couldn't take a weathered TK to Centurion, but that level of weathering is exactly what I was thinking.  He did a great job with that!  Interesting... . 

This is never going to end, is it?

• Like 1

"Will this never end?" C-3PO. Yes, it will never end. So far I want to do a Sandtrooper and a Praetorian Guard. Oh, and a Death Star Gunner and a Biker Scout... Um, that's not what you mean, is it? That sniper knee! Dang it! I love the AP armour but the knee is, by far, the weakest link. It needs a re-sculpt to fit the shin. We have what we have to work with. The AP sniper knee has been approved many times before. You, Greg, are more than capable of doing this. It is frustrating but doable. I am going downstairs now to take a pic of my approved sniper knee. Be with you shortly...

"Will this never end?" C-3PO. Yes, it will never end. So far I want to do a Sandtrooper and a Praetorian Guard. Oh, and a Death Star Gunner and a Biker Scout... Um, that's not what you mean, is it? That sniper knee! Dang it! I love the AP armour but the knee is, by far, the weakest link. It needs a re-sculpt to fit the shin. We have what we have to work with. The AP sniper knee has been approved many times before. You, Greg, are more than capable of doing this. It is frustrating but doable. I am going downstairs now to take a pic of my approved sniper knee. Be with you shortly...

That is exactly what I meant :). Praetorian Guard would be awesome. My list includes sandtrooper, death trooper, and snowtrooper.

Here it is. My monstrosity.
WsBA02Ul.jpgClK2vgWl.jpg
This is the best I could get.

Thanks for that Sean. You got a better fit for sure, but overall I’m not that far off. I’m a lot less worried about the alignment in the front. I might go for approval as is or adjust once I’ve got some higher priority tasks out of the way.

Ugh never mind...realizing that’s SEAN’s sniper knee. But either way, can adding any pieces of ABS to the back of the knee help any or no? 

I’ve seen builds where people have done that. I did test with a few extra pieces of abs in various spots but I didn’t see the benefit in my case. As for the front trimming, I trimmed to 20mm strip width - which is screen accurate. So I would expect things to line up the best they should. But would a wider front coverstrip edge work better? Maybe.

I actually cut a notch in the centre of my sniper plate the width of the coverstrip, helps to keep central while the glue is drying also allows it to go backwards further so looks better on sides.

I also applied some heat to both sides as I hated the slanted look, don't panic about using heat on these as they are quite thick. I just applied the heat on the two front corners and applied a little pressure.

• Like 1

Thigh ammo pack. I hot bathed this piece earlier just to make fitting easier.

Just held the ammo pack up to the thigh and figured out the distance from the back return edge. I measured 6mm from the top edge.
a94681c23fabe7d7f5e8e5a9b21990b2.jpg

Drill hole and install split rivet with #6 washer
5853a5ff8d36c94f1472811cf334f6af.jpg

Wrap ammo pack around to other side and marked hole.
4d19961169ba2464f79792279980bf36.jpg

6mm from top
f5eb96221030236a1465f866c5edcf82.jpg

Install second rivet and I will add a couple drops of glue to hold ammo pack up to cover seam.
fc791f2e4e0a08cdd643321d169afa42.jpg

Add some tape to hold and let dry.
7bbfe38a42b5fbb8092fef9ec2d81eb3.jpg

Much easier than that f&@$ing sniper knee. Oh sniper knee, I shalt maketh thee my bit... .

• Like 3