Wook's First Build - ANH Stunt TK (AP)

wook1138

I added elastic strapping to the ab and chest. The pic just shows the snap bases and the clamps I used to hold it all together for measuring.
a17eb82787d74c36d2b477e63415500d.jpg

I quickly did this so I could try the torso on. The arms are not attached. Shoulders are sort of taped on. I have no help so I'm doing what I can. The right ab to kidney elastic isn't doing much. I think I lost weight. The pieces are getting pushed overtop of each other.

5738ae43877e09950ff61e517ba4b9e1.jpg

Question:  How is the neckline looking? The helmet is not my "real" helmet and it is sitting very high on my oversized head.

73d269f228ce186d2c6822bf7c711e85.jpg

I really need to replace the elastic strapping I have connecting the back to kidney with nylon - I think.
fcc96d6c414a4d4cf4a8f216d109e31c.jpg
e9bd520aac04c5c7258ce05d3ddb25db.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by wook1138
Clarify Text
  • Like 1

Added a snap to the cod elastic. I left plenty of extra material for adjustments as I'm sure this is an area where comfort is of paramount importance. 2afeb8b3d7a5553d00f89174636f6b89.jpg

I replaced the two outer strap (they were elastic) with nylon along the back to kidney.  This tightened up the seam but still allows some flexibility.  The middle strap is still elastic. 
c169119fe53a22aa0f077574f74ec475.jpg

By the way, I'm using new nylon that I bought at a local fabric store.  I was using stuff I bought on Amazon.  The difference in quality is amazing - the local bought stuff is almost twice as thick.  This new stuff is way better to work with - I'm seeing improvement along some of my seam already.  new stuff is the top sample.
2b65527eea02094e36ca11d040a8af40.jpg

My riveted left ab to kidney connections were done with the Amazon stuff - I will probably add new snap straps in between the riveted ones to firm up this seam.
b81571dbc73d4f2363afd96c23d63557.jpg

Yeah, these are the old elastic straps.  I measure and label everything.  I have real problems.
98d4dae1deb0a2f258f3e16f2d51b308.jpg

My new upper right ab to kidney strap.  the ends are extra long so I can reach in and un-snap this.  Works well, but I have to move the snap base closer to the seam and tighten up the connection a little.  I still have the over-riding problem I showed in my previous post - it is like the armor is way too big for me - yet it seemed fine when I did the original fitting with blue tape. 
488aa087f6bcd18ceb853a67baf3e48d.jpg

Edited by wook1138
added info

Excellent, then you`re all set to cut:duim:

1st- awesome work!!! 2nd- Hope it’s okay I hijack your thread for a question. Can I ask about these bump? I read in another post to remove them...but I’m not sure what they are?!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, batmanmike said:

1st- awesome work!!! 2nd- Hope it’s okay I hijack your thread for a question. Can I ask about these bump? I read in another post to remove them...but I’m not sure what they are?!

Thanks!  And feel free to ask any questions. 

The bumps are part of the ABS shoulder straps.  they are glued on to the top of the chest and extend over the shoulders to the back piece where they are just tied down with elastic.  They have ridges or bumps on them - the first bump on the front side is supposed to be larger than the others.  AP armor also has a big bump on the back side too - gives people more room if they need it.  But most can cut it off, plus one of the smaller bumps (for screen accuracy). 

Pretty much anything below the blue tape on those straps should be cut off.

1cD6uFE.jpg

Edited by wook1138
typo
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, wook1138 said:

I still have the over-riding problem I showed in my previous post - it is like the armor is way too big for me

Since you already installed the rivets and it`s a bit of work in removing and cutting the sides down, perhaps try some foam padding (high density-stuff) on the sides to bulk up? Try it with double sided tape and if that helps it`s easy to glue in with a glue-gun (some use velcro - but work fast or the glue melts the foam:smiley-sw013: and it can be a good idea to keep the outside suface cool so there`s no warping of the plastic (just in case)...I needed a bit of foam at the bottom of my left leg to keep it alligned - done the same on all 3 suits -and I applyed the glue to the foam and held it in place while holding the armor under the tap.

kSoIswzl.jpg

26 minutes ago, TheSwede said:

Since you already installed the rivets and it`s a bit of work in removing and cutting the sides down, perhaps try some foam padding (high density-stuff) on the sides to bulk up? Try it with double sided tape and if that helps it`s easy to glue in with a glue-gun (some use velcro - but work fast or the glue melts the foam:smiley-sw013: and it can be a good idea to keep the outside suface cool so there`s no warping of the plastic (just in case)...I needed a bit of foam at the bottom of my left leg to keep it alligned - done the same on all 3 suits -and I applyed the glue to the foam and held it in place while holding the armor under the tap.

kSoIswzl.jpg

Thanks, Daniel!  I was thinking the same thing.  I may add padding in a few places for various reasons but I wasn't sure how I was going to actually do it.  So, test with double sided tape and then add hot glue to the foam and quickly apply to chilled armor.  Best part is that I already have all those things.  :) 

And since I have you here, should the back piece be a little higher up on my back here?  Thanks! :salute:

fcc96d6c414a4d4cf4a8f216d109e31c.jpg

8 minutes ago, wook1138 said:

add hot glue to the foam

Yepp and just to be clear, some use velcro so that the foam can be cleaned/replaced easier, my setup is really high density and dosen`t absorb any moisture, only on the surface and that`s easy to just wipe down after a troop :duim:

11 minutes ago, wook1138 said:

Best part is that I already have all those things

Finally I could give a piece of advise that didn`t involve sending you to the shops:P:smiley-sw013:

13 minutes ago, wook1138 said:

be a little higher up on my back

If you can that would be better, looks like you can push the plate closer to your body? If so that alone would raise it a bit. 

Some reference pics to give you an idea

med_gallery_14191_18_187543.jpg

My Centrurion app

puF1lPAl.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Greg.

To quote you "The right ab to kidney elastic isn't doing much. I think I lost weight. The pieces are getting pushed overtop of each other." Well, it happened to me too. Except not the losing weight part :angry:. As soon as I put the belt on I had this issue. Except it's not an issue at all, I think. If I wasn't so tech inept I'd post a screen cap. I have seen this many times on the forum. Screen caps of this exact thing. Overlap on the bottom. When we taped our armour to ourselves the tape wasn't strong enough to pull the armour tight like the belt or we were just to scared to make it that tight being new to all this. I watched Star Wars on Jan 1 and I saw this often. Maybe The Swede can chime in here but I think it's ok.

Overlap isn`t mentioned in the CRL, it focus on the more common problem - gaps - however the seam is to my knowledge supposed to sit flush even though there is some overlap in the movie....this is a bit embarrassing but I´m  actually not sure if overlap will hinder approval (only ever focused on gaps) so someone in the know need to set it straight....but it looks alot better whitout overlap (and you want to look good rightB))  and...I remembered another set-up to avoid this...just gonna go look for it :salute: I`ll be back (of course said with an accent).

• Like 2

Thanks guys. I think the foam and new nylon strapping may work. Speaking of coming to terms with my OCD... I'm about to tackle this horror. 245c985f6202177bc9ae491312794824.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheSwede said:

Finally I could give a piece of advise that didn`t involve sending you to the shops:P:smiley-sw013:

Oh wait, "really" high density foam?  I don't have that.  ;)

6 hours ago, Sean said:

Hi Greg.

To quote you "The right ab to kidney elastic isn't doing much. I think I lost weight. The pieces are getting pushed overtop of each other." Well, it happened to me too. Except not the losing weight part :angry:. As soon as I put the belt on I had this issue. Except it's not an issue at all, I think. If I wasn't so tech inept I'd post a screen cap. I have seen this many times on the forum. Screen caps of this exact thing. Overlap on the bottom. When we taped our armour to ourselves the tape wasn't strong enough to pull the armour tight like the belt or we were just to scared to make it that tight being new to all this. I watched Star Wars on Jan 1 and I saw this often. Maybe The Swede can chime in here but I think it's ok.

Yeah, the taping process just does not do the fitting real justice.  On top of it, I was doing all the fitting by myself - makes it even harder.  The belt really throws things for a loop.  I would highly recommend to new people that if they have the means - go to an armour party or find someone who knows what they are doing.  I researched a lot of material regarding the building, but not a whole lot on fitting.  My bad.  Anyway, I suspect I will have the overlap on the bottom regardless of what I do - I'll be happy if I can get the top more or less straightened out. 

• Like 1

Third or fourth time gluing the thighs. I didn't show the right one, but that one is still giving me problems due to the funny shape of the coverstrip area.f4a9c2150f931e9409a750fe0a35330c.jpg

After much effort I finally managed to get this nylon base plate off. I'm moving it closer to the seam to help with the overlapping along the right ab to kidney seam
ac9c8da23a03f0cfb132b8737539ef37.jpg

New base plate. Glue is drying.
a3ac6df021a8f90aab4d4a0e9ff5196e.jpg

Edited by wook1138
add text
  • Like 1

Time to paint the tube stripes.  I have not been looking forward to this - and I'm not ashamed to say, it nearly broke me.  Okay, it wasn't that bad once I got the stencils on, but getting them placed right was a challenge for me.  024330fc19fbea2e2673fd013273703c.jpg

Cleaned the area first.  lots of marks from other painting and just getting knocked around my office.

fbae5e41fca39402469e67137dc4b966.jpg

The stencils come from Trooperbay.  The top is how they arrive on the card.  I would instinctively put the one on the right on to the left side of the helmet.  But I don't believe that is right.  So I switched them around - as per the cut templates below. EDIT: DO NOT SWITCH!  I got called on this - and it does look a little wonky if you switch. 

bb71fd8de83f3026b63dab91002b43b1.jpg

Pencil's width from the top return edge.

4688f997fddb386aa203154d90e541a5.jpg

The ears will cover the last stripe.  so I didn't paint that one.  I ended up with 14 stripes on each side.  You can see the bubbles on the stencil - these are pretty much impossible to avoid.  This is going to bleed.

e35f7e7a2fc5cc1840a566af4a76e9f6.jpg

Added extra tape and ready to go.  I will just say it here - I hate this paint.  for whatever reason, this blue tends to separate and needs to be stirred/shaken a lot.

2eb7558f5bc8221891d3ee334d8f6ee2.jpg

I am applying the paint in thin, dry coats.  This is about the third coat.  I put on 6 coats.  The 4th or 5th coat got a little thick - in started to loose patience and painted a thicker coat with a wetter brush.  that was probably a bad idea.

23ebb2c13c24cebe2510970394731a48.jpg

Not awesome.  Not as bad as it could have been, but not awesome.  I'm hoping I can scrap off the bleeds once it dries with a toothpick and maybe some mineral spirits on a cotton swap.

a8d6b0f4aec71196c1554500e5ecebd6.jpg

Right side of helmet.  By the way, this side of the helmet in this area is quite different than the left side.  These things really are wonky.

87701322b31b1bbb30d1d2f1b6ba65a4.jpg

Once it is dry, I will test the ears again and see if I need to remove the 14th stripe.  The left side (right in the pic) seems a little further forward, but... I'm not doing this again.83d0b08b14dbeb2d77860201e6bd9723.jpg

Edited by wook1138
bad info
  • Like 1

I´m back:P Found it and there are a few examples out there, this one I "stole" from Chricket`s thread (thanks Christine)

I finally wrapped up the "Jorge-inspired" tab stabilization system on my kidney/ab.  Glue was still curing on the bracket, which is why you still see the blue tape in there.

32540311195_4a93c3f2a2.jpg

The black ABS is flexible enough to curve easily on the ab plate.  Here's what it looks like from the outside when closed up with the inner tab fastened on the inside snaps:

32552545695_dcdd6f1354.jpg

Best part is that it doesn't shift up and down.  So I tried it on to make sure it actually works.

32512044226_3debab2cf9.jpg

Yup. It works great.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, batmanmike said:

That paint looks awesome!!

I second that! after some clean up it will look muck better than my tube stripes:jc_doublethumbup:

Edited by TheSwede
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TheSwede said:
9 hours ago, batmanmike said:

That paint looks awesome!!

I second that! after some clean up it will look muck better than my tube stripes:jc_doublethumbup:

Thanks guys!!  I'll try to clean it up today and take some more pics.  And thank you Daniel for that pic.  I think I'm going to add thick elastic to the lower/middle part of that seam.  Looks like she just glued it in - I was thinking of a double or triple snap, but glue would probably be more secure.  Sure makes for a nice clean seam.

38 minutes ago, wook1138 said:

Looks like she just glued it in - I was thinking of a double or triple snap, but glue would probably be more secure.  Sure makes for a nice clean seam.

She used black ABS for that big piece and white for the bracket-thing which the black ABS slides in to and that way the seam can`t shift to overlap nor can it go up/down, makes it super-secure:)

Edited by TheSwede

1 hour ago, TheSwede said:

She used black ABS for that big piece and white for the bracket-thing which the black ABS slides in to and that way the seam can`t shift to overlap nor can it go up/down, makes it super-secure:)

Oh.  Well, that is totally not what I was thinking, but yeah... that would do it!  Thanks.

• Like 1

Yes the old Tab and Slot. We have a girl in our Garrison and I recommended the same for her. It works like a charm with some foam padding to keep torso in place. 

Keep up the good work. These are just bumps in the road to the Death Star!;)

• Like 2

Cleaning up the tube stripes. Well, I have to admit I was worried, but after a little scraping with a toothpick, I am quite pleased. Right side done. Left side still has some wet spots.
851cb39398e0515ba0259980b73bdd91.jpg

• Like 1

Cleaning up the tube stripes. Well, I have to admit I was worried, but after a little scraping with a toothpick, I am quite pleased. Right side done. Left side still has some wet spots.
851cb39398e0515ba0259980b73bdd91.jpg

I did my tube stripes twice before I gave up and did decal. Yours looked exactly like mine. Never did the tooth pick come across my mind the simplest things. I’ll have to remember that.