Armor size issue/mod please help!

Hey good morning everyone. So I am trying to put my TK together and have run into a bit of an issue. I ordered a full commission set for a ANH Stunt from RS Propmasters about two years ago. Due to work and other life getting in the way, I am just now getting to a point where I can dedicate myself to trooping. Last night I went to try everything on, and while the chest/back armor are the correct dimensions, I am having a hard time snapping everything together on the sides. RS uses an extensive system of rivets to put the armor together. I would need to separate the distance between the chest/back armor by 3 or 4 inches, but I am by no means a handy person.  Any advice would be appreciated!

Hi Steven.  I'm having a hard time trying to understand what you mean so I would like to clarify it so I can give you a hand.  When you say you would like to seperate the Chest and Back, do you mean those two plates specifically?  Or are you referring to the ab plate and the kidney plate?  Would you be able to provide pictures of the section you are referring to?  Using a site like Imgur works very well for posting photos.  I would just like to see how RS put it together for you so I can give you the best way. 

If it is the kidney and ab armor like I suspect you mean, then I would hope it should be as easy as replacing the elastic there that is holding it together.

This is the left side of the armor with the split rivets

8oruLjo.jpg

This is the left side of my armor where the above sides meet.... spacing seems appropriate

0s7uzOj.jpg

Here is my issue:  This is my right side (Taken in mirror).  The inside is attached by a male meets female connector.  I ordered this armor when my waist was 4 inches smaller (before I became a cop and the donuts got the better of me). I can get them closer if using two hands but not enough to fasten shut.

Rf4hDGI.jpg

This is how the right side fastens shut.  Needs to be extended.

BYxm4eH.jpg

Like I said, I am not a mechanical person by any means.  It seems like in order to extend my left side I would also have to extend the right to compensate.  Aside from ordering a new set of chest/kidney and back armor to match I'm kind of at a loss.  What a difference 4 inches makes.  If anyone has any creative ideas

Hi Steven,

I fear there are only two options for you if you want both sides properly closed. 

1: Install shims at both sides of your kidney plate to make it bigger. 

2: Reduce your waist 4 inches. 

While working on solution No 2 you can simply extend the three elastic bands on the left and the one at the right side which are holding the armor together. 

That should be quite easy because RS used split rivets to install the elastic. 

It will cause in a gap at both sides but it should ok for basic approval. And once your waist is small enough the gaps disappeare and you are good to go for EIB and Centurion. :jc_doublethumbup:

All the best!

Christian

Steven, 

Exactly as Christian said. I would just replace the elastic on the hinge side. You can try and reuse the split rivets that are there or if you need to get new ones just check with Joseph on here, He has them. 

Then just adjust the elastic on the opposite side to give you the same size gap. But as said earlier this will allow you basic approval but will have to close the gaps for EIB and Centurion. 

Good luck. 

Yup you got all of the info you need here!  I would take a pliers or a wrench and open up the split rivets.  Then install a longer set of elastics.  Then install a new elastic piece on the right side as well.  I know you say you aren't too mechanically inclined this shouldn't be too difficult.  And if you feel you still can't do it, then ask a squad mate to meet you in a quiet sector and bribe him/her with lunch to do it. 

I’m not that technical too, I sometimes find pictures help. This is how I fitted my split rivets, your elastic will be longer than mine, I also doubled mine up for added strength. I needed a 3” long elastic, so I cut 6” so I could double it up. You will also need something to punch a hole in the elastic for the rivets to go through

Rivet placed through hole and elastic

Outside

6512ae81676531970b1781dfeaaa3d82.jpg

Inside

1c251dbc4679d5a0202c525f89f1ba1b.jpg

Washer added

1c9ea5c0b27a2d5576c3729641f2cb6d.jpg

Prise the rivet apart with a flat head screwdriver, resting the head of the river on a piece of wood for support, or something similar

5c49fdbd84703a1d24e783dc9d4d8b53.jpg

Use pliers / hammer to gently tap the prongs of the rivet flat... I tapped the pliers with the hammer

c6ca79c7579db93cc90a942d50ae8d2a.jpg

Job done

Outside

5b81be4f4f0ff55c1ad08b765c4e901b.jpg

Inside

0ddce7fa3fc956f0365cd2de8d8d13b5.jpg

Obviously because your elastic will be longer the sides will not butt up against each other

Hope this helps

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 11/21/2017 at 11:20 AM, mcgillicuddy said:

before I became a cop and the donuts got the better of me

Glad it’s not just me. I’ve got the same problem as I’m building mine from the ground up. I’ve been up and down since I got hired 13 years ago. Some things are just too hard to give up.