Weathering question

Pledford

You could, but its acidic.  I'd suggesting using black wash or woodland scenic paints.  Some people like acrylic better, but I prefer to build my weathering up and also that it's easier to wipe away mistakes.

While I was wondering what to do my weathering with, I happened to be in a "Dollar store" and passed the women's make up section and saw a small container of what I am assuming is black eye shadow of some sort.  I thought "what the heck", and bought that along with a puffy "blush" brush.  BINGO!

It has stayed on really well for the last few years, needing only the occasional touch-up.  I went back and picked up a few extras of the powder, and will send you one (no charge) if you like.  You will have to get your own blush brush, though, but like I mentioned they are only a buck at the dollar store.  If interested, just PM me your complete shipping info.

Remember when weathering your HWT that sometimes "less is more".  You don't have to go crazy with it.

• Like 2

So true, less is more when weathering.  Always start very minimal. You can add more if needed. And NEVER EVER be in a hurry to get it done. Research and test on scrap plastic before applying to your armor that cost a lot of time and money. 

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Re: weathering...do you apply the eyeshadow and/or charcoal and some other product to set it?

i seem to recall hairspray being mentioned but won’t that make your armor sticky?

With the eyeshadow you will not need to "set" it with anything.  Like I mentioned, you may have to touch it up a bit once every 7-8 troops or so, but it stays on really well.  If you uses fleece lined helmet bag, but sure to wrap your bucket in a plastic bag before inserting it, as it may rub off some.

To remove the eyeshadow for shiny white trooping, just use a household degreaser like 409.  Comes off easily!

One of the best HWT weathering jobs I've seen is from my buddy Charles of the GA Garrison.  Not too much, not too little:

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/30336-tk-72627-requesting-hwt-eib-status-fx3/?tab=comments#comment-388242

6 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

With the eyeshadow you will not need to "set" it with anything.  Like I mentioned, you may have to touch it up a bit once every 7-8 troops or so, but it stays on really well.  If you uses fleece lined helmet bag, but sure to wrap your bucket in a plastic bag before inserting it, as it may rub off some.

To remove the eyeshadow for shiny white trooping, just use a household degreaser like 409.  Comes off easily!

One of the best HWT weathering jobs I've seen is from my buddy Charles of the GA Garrison.  Not too much, not too little:

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/30336-tk-72627-requesting-hwt-eib-status-fx3/?tab=comments#comment-388242

Thx much!  I keep flip flopping but think I’m going to give acrylic paint a shot just to keep the powder mess to a minimum since my kit comes inside (vs a garage) after troops

8 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

Any ideas where this came from?  I really like this look...(credit to whomever this is...can’t recall where I snagged this pic)

(cross posted from FB)

C94A9773-BAA3-4BB5-8498-8C5DA8BB9899_zps

Edited by Ru4scuba
  • Like 1