Timberwoof's Anovos ANH TK Build Thread

Timberwoof

Looking good! Your shins do seem to be riding a bit higher than mine, but not egregiously so:

re: the thighs, a lot of people stick foam in various places of their armor to make it fit better. If it helps, the thighs don't look too big, even though they may feel that way. 

Having just gone through the approval process with the GGG in October, I'm guessing Adam (our GML) might mention the potential pinch/armor bite points at the tops of your thighs:

1rtHbJU.png

So maybe just have whoever's helping you with your submission photos be aware of that, and try to even out the spacing for the photos. Submission photos aside, you may want to adjust the strapping or do a bit of trimming just for mobility. Can you walk okay? Go up/down stairs?

As far as dressing yourself, I can put my entire kit on myself - the hardest bits are connecting all the snaps between my right ab/kidney, and snapping both shoulder bells on. And, as you said, getting the belt straight can be a challenge. It gets a bit easier with practice, but on troops you'll also have your handlers/other troopers helping you. :)

Anyway, don't think you should have an issue getting approved - don't be distressed if it takes a re-submission or two. Looking forward to trooping together soon!

• Like 1

On Monday I got a friend to help with checking fit and taking pictures. After the first bunch I went back to my car to fetch my backpack and lappy. Walking around was comfy enough: there were some steps and a garage door to duck under. 
TK-60361_walking.jpg

The biggest problem was the biceps; we made that strap a lot tighter. I suspect that this backpack is not canon: https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Storm-Trooper-Backpack/dp/B0118E28YM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1516122719&sr=8-1&keywords=stormtrooper+backpack+for+men :P

31 minutes ago, Harbinger said:

No problems with stairs with your thighs going all the way to the cod?

That photo was after the first attempt at fitting. Walking around revealed problems, which we addressed for the second try. Very important for me was to completely tighten up the shoulder joints. It's a three-handed task, so I pressed in my chest piece while my friend pressed in on my back and tightened up the shoulder connections. (Velcro is a good first step: It's adjustable.) With the shoulders  joined up the whole chest-cod-back-kidnet-butt assembly rode higher. We were then able to lower the thighs a bit. The shins keep riding up; I think I will reduce the return edges at the bottom end. 
I'm beginning to think that there needs to be a collection of TK Armor Fitting Wisdom (I suppose I could forage through these threads for material), or that The Collection of TK Armor Fitting Wisdom, which I have not yet found, needs to be pinned somewhere. 
I'd be pleased if there were a patch for TK Armor Technicians which handlers and helpers could be awarded and wear with pride and recognition. 

1 hour ago, Timberwoof said:

That photo was after the first attempt at fitting. Walking around revealed problems, which we addressed for the second try. Very important for me was to completely tighten up the shoulder joints. It's a three-handed task, so I pressed in my chest piece while my friend pressed in on my back and tightened up the shoulder connections. (Velcro is a good first step: It's adjustable.) With the shoulders  joined up the whole chest-cod-back-kidnet-butt assembly rode higher. We were then able to lower the thighs a bit. The shins keep riding up; I think I will reduce the return edges at the bottom end. 
I'm beginning to think that there needs to be a collection of TK Armor Fitting Wisdom (I suppose I could forage through these threads for material), or that The Collection of TK Armor Fitting Wisdom, which I have not yet found, needs to be pinned somewhere. 
I'd be pleased if there were a patch for TK Armor Technicians which handlers and helpers could be awarded and wear with pride and recognition. 

That would be a great thread, I'll put that in my idea book (TM).

Re: shins, I had the same problem. Some people make stirrups, I ended up using velcro ties to keep the shin/boots where I wanted them.

6 hours ago, Harbinger said:

That would be a great thread, I'll put that in my idea book (TM).

Re: shins, I had the same problem. Some people make stirrups, I ended up using velcro ties to keep the shin/boots where I wanted them.

I like this too.  We have a TIPS/HOWTOs area but this sounds a lot more specific and it would be much easier than looking at build threads.

BTW, the Go to Work photo is awesome :)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Daetrin said:

I like this too.  We have a TIPS/HOWTOs area but this sounds a lot more specific and it would be much easier than looking at build threads.

BTW, the Go to Work photo is awesome :)

I'll tell my photographer. He'll be quite pleased. 

7 minutes ago, shashachu said:

For your biceps, do you have anything keeping them up? A lot of people make bicep hooks; I connected mine to the shoulder bells via elastic and snaps.

The Anovos kit has elastic straps with velcro at each end; fuzzy velcro goes in the shoulder bells and the bicep. Same for the bicep-forearm joint. In the photo with the car, that had not been adjusted yet. The point of that trip was to fetch my MacBook so I could review the photos and spot such problems. My friend helped tighten up those straps and fixed the problem, then took a new set of photos. Getting that right made a huge difference in mobility. That's one of those non-obvious secrets, so I added it to my Wisdom page. 

Edited by Timberwoof
  • Like 1

I've been researching which return edges need to be trimmed and which don't. Some things are clear; some are ambiguous. 
At the bottom end of the shins, there should be no return edge. I was worried that I had too much on mine, as they ride up, but when I examined closely, I saw that I had done it mostly right. I got rid of some less-than-nice edges: the file is my friend, as is a 20-grit and a 320-grit 3M sandpaper sponge. 
At the bottom end of the forearms, return edge is optional for levels 1 and 2, but banned for level 3. So I decided to trim these edges off. It was easier than I expected. With my right (dominant) hand I reached in with an Xacto knife and scored the return edge as I rolled the forearm along on the table. The tricky parts were at the joints.  I cut the edges smooth across the "thick" part with the ribblies. With square pliers I snapped the thin return-edge and filed and sanded them smooth. 
What do do with the bottoms of shoulders and tops of biceps is ambiguous, with some recommending these be trimmed. The shoulders on mine have 2-3 mm return edge, reasonably smooth, which makes sense to keep as that's supposed to be a thickish piece of armor there, so I left those alone.
The tops of the biceps are hidden, so this is entirely a question of fit and comfort. As I am an elf, I will leave them be fore the time being. 
One builder trimmed the edges of his codpiece, for reasons, but my thinking is this: it is an armored area and ought to be thick (even if no one will admit to looking at it), and it needs some structural strength. (I understand the reasons. For other reasons, I wear a cup when costuming, so that takes care of that. :D)
All the other return edges stay; I had already smoothed them all with file and sandpaper during construction. 
The one issue that remains is the top end of the thighs. I've seen a lot of approaches to trimming them and I'm not sure I like any I noticed. IMHO the shape needs to match. Of course, if the wearer is shorter than the intended model, something must be done. But I' a standard-issue Elf: 5'10", 145#, so this ought to fit without a lot of change. I had success with making sure the shoulders were cinched up good and tight, lifting the whole torso up a good inch, and making sure the shins are low on the boots. These things can be adjusted … after some walking around under the keen eye of an experienced trooper. 

Congratulations trooper, once you get those numbers make sure you request a status upgrade to access previously unexplored areas ;) 

Everybody needs a shiny crate. This is mine, a Sterilite 32 gallon container. It's big enough for my entire TK armor kit. It has lovely moldings that just beg to be painted. 

I liked it so much I got another one for my fur suit. Wheels are so much nicer for dragging around a con hotel. 
TK-60361_Crate.jpg

• Like 1