Helmet mic set up.

Hi Mike,

I you are looking for a microphone for voice amplification I would recommend a good throat microphone.

I have tested various types of microphones but the only one that is absolutely immune against feedback or picking up the sound of the audience behind me is the throat mic.

No matter how loud the speaker and where you install it your voice is loud and clear without any feedback.

The bad thing with this solution: a professional throat mic is not cheap and you might have to change the plugs because the good microphones are for professional radio devices and don´t fit into an Aker or smartphone.

But that doesn´t mean that all the other solutions are crap. I´m still trooping with a wireless microphone transmitter/receiver system from time to time. Some adjustments are needed before I can start trooping but it is comfortable to wear with no wires. And you can get one for under 30$.

Cheers

Christian

I use a Pyle Pro (bought used on Amazon) in my chest connected to a wireless mic mounted to the inside of my bucket. No wires, no fuss, no muss.

Pyle Pro (used) on Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B005I2YJPM/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

Wireless Mic: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HOB5SKE

15 hours ago, tydirium1 said:

Take a look at  TKTALKIE.COM also. It's a great addition to a voice amp set up.

COMPLETELY AGREED. Brent is a great guy and when you're ready for voice FX, it's a great system, and cost effective to boot.

Also, the Pyle Pro includes a wired mic, so the wireless mic is up to personal taste :)

Edited by TKSnake

• 3 months later...
On 11/9/2017 at 11:16 AM, Novak Dimon said:

Hi Mike,

I you are looking for a microphone for voice amplification I would recommend a good throat microphone.

I have tested various types of microphones but the only one that is absolutely immune against feedback or picking up the sound of the audience behind me is the throat mic.

No matter how loud the speaker and where you install it your voice is loud and clear without any feedback.

The bad thing with this solution: a professional throat mic is not cheap and you might have to change the plugs because the good microphones are for professional radio devices and don´t fit into an Aker or smartphone.

But that doesn´t mean that all the other solutions are crap. I´m still trooping with a wireless microphone transmitter/receiver system from time to time. Some adjustments are needed before I can start trooping but it is comfortable to wear with no wires. And you can get one for under 30$.

Cheers

Christian

I got a throat mic and it picks up every little fabric movement and breath. Do you use PTT on yours?

Had the same problem with a cheap one. A squadmate is using this type with voice activation without any problem: LINK

It’s quite expensive and you have to solder a new plug because it is coming with a connector for professional radio equipment, but it is working perfectly. 

Cheers

Christian 

Edited by Novak Dimon

13 hours ago, Novak Dimon said:

Had the same problem with a cheap one. A squadmate is using this type with voice activation without any problem: LINK

It’s quite expensive and you have to solder a new plug because it is coming with a connector for professional radio equipment, but it is working perfectly. 

Cheers

Christian 

Thanks for the info. I got the ixradio one which wasn't cheap. :/

I'm waiting on my TKtalki to arrive and will try out the VOX feature on that. Hopefully that cuts some of the noise down.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a very similar mike to TKSnake's recommendation- I like it.  IF you get too close to another trooper with the same set up you  might cross-voices through, due to the signals being the same.  

Use a good amp- buy a real Akers the first time, not a cheap one or a knock off, you'll save yourself headache and money later (I speak from experience).  Also, if you want to add to the voice effect you can use an iComm chatter box.  Expensive, but worth it, in my opinion.  Akers and iComms can be found here: http://store.voicebooster.com