ANH Stunt build

Frank75139

So the excitement has begun and the armor has arrived. No idea how to do this and no clue where to begin. If anyone can help with some direction that would be great. I’ve watched a few videos and they skip over some things. Just don’t want to mess up and have to redo it all. 
92F2AEC4-7E1E-4540-B3D8-CD629C5C6790.jpeg.a4bd856573dc2566cd5570bd6e25b1a4.jpeg
Frank start with hand guards to get used to trimming armour with lexan scissors if that's what you will be using to cut the armour sections. Then probably look at arms and go from there. If in doubt ask for help. No question is a stupid question believe me it's more than likely been asked many times before

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JamesMapes2017 said:

Frank start with hand guards to get used to trimming armour with lexan scissors if that's what you will be using to cut the armour sections. Then probably look at arms and go from there. If in doubt ask for help. No question is a stupid question believe me it's more than likely been asked many times before emoji6.png

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

HAHA, i guess late help is better than no help? this acutally helped me though. Frank has been finished with his build and is already 501st approved. But i will take the Hand Guard tip and run with it!

So I decided to make some abs paste and fill in the to small issues I had on the thigh and calf piece where the connection above the cover strip wasn’t the best. Yes I got basic, and yes it wasn’t that bad but the thigh bothered me and I figured why not do something until I can convince my wife to let me start a scout trooper (yea she thinks I should have at least one troop in before I build again to make sure I like it... she just doesn’t get it, supportive, but doesn’t get it) I’ve put in before and after pics, the paste was a fun little smelly science experiment and came out nicely (I think it did). Question is what is the best grit paper to sand this with? I’m assuming a fine grit but wasn’t sure if anyone had a preference for a certain one. Also how long does this stuff take to completely dry? I don’t want to sand when it’s soft underneath.

IMG_2529.JPGIMG_2527.JPGIMG_2530.JPGIMG_2528.JPG

Next up is reworking the knee ammo belt. I’m not very happy with it as you can see in the pic I have it permanently positioned up cause it wanted to come down all the time and looked awful. I know it’s cut short and AM doesn’t have a replacement at this point to swap it out. I’ve looked at a few others and the color doesn’t match so I’ve got to leave it or do something with it. Any suggestions?

Also been working on restrapping the kidney/cod pieces to try and eliminate the gap in the middle to attempt centurion without shimming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To sand the ABS paste, start with a low grit and work your way up, even wet sanding when you get to fine grit. Then give it some Novus to get the shine back in!

Can you clarify what the issue is with the knee ammo belt? It's positioned up over the ridge in the front, as it should. Yeah, looks a bit short on the sides, but it's not a deal breaker. You're just looking for a solution to get a new knee ammo belt that is longer at the sides?

• Like 1

To sand the ABS paste, start with a low grit and work your way up, even wet sanding when you get to fine grit. Then give it some Novus to get the shine back in!

Can you clarify what the issue is with the knee ammo belt? It's positioned up over the ridge in the front, as it should. Yeah, looks a bit short on the sides, but it's not a deal breaker. You're just looking for a solution to get a new knee ammo belt that is longer at the sides?

It’s permanent positioned upwards. I have it rigged that way cause it wasn’t flat against the knee when I did it, it kept falling down which would cause a gap between the thigh and top of the ammo belt. I could take it off and heat it and get it flat but then my rivets wouldn’t line up on the end of the belt like they should cause the ends wouldnt be able to catch the knee armor. So I think that would hold me up from a higher level if I decide to go that route. Everyone else’s just looks flat and neat around the knee. Any of that make sense?

Okay, I see. I went back in your build and see what you're talking about. It's angled upwards. What do you mean that the ends wouldn't be able to catch the knee armour? Can you post a close up photo of a side view? I don't think I quite get why you can't just change the attachment point.

Okay, I see. I went back in your build and see what you're talking about. It's angled upwards. What do you mean that the ends wouldn't be able to catch the knee armour? Can you post a close up photo of a side view? I don't think I quite get why you can't just change the attachment point.

Ok gonna try and do this without taking it out and taking a pic. Here is a close ups from pics I had on my phone.
Right side of knee
IMG_2537.JPG
Left side of knee
IMG_2536.JPG
So if I flatten it out a bit the sides will push back so the rivets would have to be pushed back as well. EIB and Centurion specify it must be connected in the upper corner. I would be able to make it work on the right side but the left side wouldn’t sit properly and I wouldn’t be able to get the rivet places in the upper corner.
So do I leave it, or flatten it out and rivet it flat but not up to the extended CRL, or wait it out until I get a new knee belt?

Ideally you would have a new belt as it should be a right angle in the top corners and rounded like you have in the bottom corners. Your rivets are placed in the top corners already, so you would just be making a new hole in the thigh and attaching it there. Looks like it would move a fair amount.

My thoughts on this are: you're approved, you can troop. Order the new knee ammo belt that you're going to be ordering anyway and then just trim it and place it correctly all in one go.

Ideally you would have a new belt as it should be a right angle in the top corners and rounded like you have in the bottom corners. Your rivets are placed in the top corners already, so you would just be making a new hole in the thigh and attaching it there. Looks like it would move a fair amount.

My thoughts on this are: you're approved, you can troop. Order the new knee ammo belt that you're going to be ordering anyway and then just trim it and place it correctly all in one go.

Thanks. Guess I’ll wait it out until AM has an extra knee belt.

Side note: This is something that only 501st members would notice. The general public will probably never notice. You will, however, be able to recognize yourself in photos and your garrison mates will be able to tell you apart too if there are many TKs of similar build. :) Silver linings!

Side note: This is something that only 501st members would notice. The general public will probably never notice. You will, however, be able to recognize yourself in photos and your garrison mates will be able to tell you apart too if there are many TKs of similar build.  Silver linings!

Very good point!

So after repairs and some tweeking I went to put it all back in my bin and I can’t seem to remember how I had it all in there. I’ve got the Husky 50g rolling tub from Home Depot. Can everyone fit it all in there including the tray? I had everything placed in there including helmet and had no issues now nothing is going in properly unless I leave the helmet out. What does everyone else do?

Arm go into shins, shins go into thighs. That's the biggest thing that lets me fit everything into a 25gal!

Helmet and boots as well?
I’ve got the biceps, arms, shins in each thigh. I’ve got the chest, back, kidney, butt still together, boots, helmet, gun, belt and tray. And it fit like a week ago. Wasn’t sure if it actually wasn’t fitting and maybe I was imaging it. Maybe I’m crazy.

Hey Frank, sorry to be a pain but the cover strip goes all the way up:salute:
IMG_2540.thumb.JPG.06a6a60abdfc09bce40d4bfd97fa284c.JPGgallery_12157_59_74442.jpg

Well that’s not gonna happen. Guess that’ll take moving up in ranks a no go. Your not a pain though, thanks for the info.

There`s no way of salvage or a replacment shin? 

Might have just enough to do 1 cover strip. I used a lot on my original mess ups. I know I saved what I have so I’d have to check the box and see if there is enough to do 1 more. Good news is everything is out of the box cause I can’t fit it all back in.

Also a question about centurion. My sides are angled cause my buttIMG_2580.JPG is big. You can see it a bit in the attached pic. Can I shim that on an angle or do I have to straighten it all out and shim?

Shin cover strip -

NOTE:  Some GMLs are strict enough to deny your basic approval with the cover strip being incorrectly installed. 

If you don't have enough, place a shorter section at the top, mix up a little ABS paste and fill the gap. Polish and go.

• Like 1