ANH Stunt build

Frank75139

What’s the purpose of a plastidip  interior? 
It's optional. It's a cleaner look. Others claim that it keeps out the glare to help you see.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, troopermaster said:

That's too bad. I guess screen accuracy is not a priority for the 501st :rolleyes:

Agreed. Perhaps it`s possible to ad another "tooth" to the CRL. My thought is that they intended to cut out all teeth but do to "need for speed" they just made do.

5 minutes ago, Frank1769 said:

but I gotta play by their rules if I want to troop.

That`s correct if you want to be an approved Stormtrooper as per the CLR as it stands right now and join the 501st. I for one really like the look of that helmet and would like to have that option for when my stunt kit arrives so I will ask a question if the CRL can be updated allowing 6-10 teeth to be cut out due to the fact that is varies alot on screen. If not - no problem:) 

13 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

It's optional. It's a cleaner look. Others claim that it keeps out the glare to help you see.

Exactly. It simply looks better and more than an in-universe helmet. I guess, an in-universe TK helmet would be black inside ;)

And it helps to keep the light out to hide your face from beeing seen through the lenses from the outside. It is not necessary for EIB or Centurion application. Sorry for the confusion.

17 minutes ago, TheSwede said:

Agreed. Perhaps it`s possible to ad another "tooth" to the CRL. My thought is that they intended to cut out all teeth but do to "need for speed" they just made do.

That is what I think too. The CRL is somewhat like a standard to ensure a uniform appearance of our TK armours when we troop together.

On the other hand there are several exceptions (as we can find on the screen shots) due to lack of budget and time during producing ANH :)

You have to remember that ANH is more like a low budget film than a block buster, but that is exactly why we love it :)

2 minutes ago, Schmetterhemd said:

That is what I think too. The CRL is somewhat like a standard to ensure a uniform appearance of our TK armours when we troop together.

On the other hand there are several exceptions (as we can find on the screen shots) due to lack of budget and time during producing ANH :)

You have to remember that ANH is more like a low budget film than a block buster, but that is exactly why we love it :)

You are correct and I agree but like stated earlier no one will really notice if you have 3 or 5 teeth cut/side exept for us die hard-fans:) and if it`s in the Movie I would like it to be an option as it`s quite common as this picture shows.....and...if you just look at it "normaly" you woulden`t even notice the difference. I´m all for a uniform look and in my opinion this woulden`t get in the way of that:) 

ANHSTUNTfrown2

That brings a question to my mind: Would a trooper lose the EIB and Centurion, if the armor is being altered AFTER the approval of levels 2 and 3?

Not thinking about doing this, just curious to know.

Edited by T-Jay

6 minutes ago, T-Jay said:

That brings a question to my mind: Would a trooper lose the EIB and Centurion, if the armor is being altered AFTER the approval of levels 2 and 3?

I would assume if someone where to bring it to the attention of the people who bestow the EIB and Centurion status on you. But what’s the odds of someone altering it or telling on you. 

As far as I know there is a kind of "conservation of the status quo" (Bestandsschutz in german :) ), means you will keep your status concerning your 501st basic approval even if the CRL is changed. If you are set to "inactive" you have to modify your costume according the new CRL guidelines to get an active member again. If you have been an active member always (means you take part of one event at least) you don't have to modify your costume if the CRL changes but you are highly recommended to do so to ensure a uniform look.

Regarding the EIB or Centurion status I don't know, but I think this would be handled in a similar way. To be sure you should ask Tony or Andrew ;)

Edit:

I hope, Frank is not angry to much because we captured his build thread for this "off-topic" discussion :)

Edited by Schmetterhemd
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Schmetterhemd said:

Edit:

I hope, Frank is not angry to much because we captured his build thread for this "off-topic" discussion

I love it, makes me feel relevant lol. And it hides all the questions and issues I’ve been having. Plus its a lot easier to see what people think when it’s right there. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Frank1769 said:

Starting to think the same way, but I gotta play by their rules if I want to troop.  After seeing all the screen shots of original and realizing pretty much they are all similar but different, it’s been an eye opener. I can patch it, it’s not a big deal but if I were to leave it and put the paint on and frown mesh in there I highly doubt some kid is gonna ask why I have too many teeth...

I don't think that the 501st or FISD are against screen accuracy, just that - especially in the case of ANH TK's - they were built so haphazardly (we keep forgetting that Star Wars was a low-budget '70s film) that if they were to allow every variation that showed up on screen it would devolve into 'anything goes'. There are troopers with 10 teeth, troopers with 6, troopers missing tube stripes, TKs with unpainted ab buttons, stunt troopers with four rivets on their belts (instead of two), missing holsters, missing thermal detonators, troopers with shoulder covers put on backwards, some held together with nothing but duct tape... so instead the focus is on the majority depiction in the film.

TL;DR: Yes, there was trooper with 10 teeth. Doesn't mean it has to be approvable. My two cents.

Edited by Harbinger
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Harbinger said:

I don't think that the 501st or FISD are against screen accuracy, just that - especially in the case of ANH TK's - they were built so haphazardly (we keep forgetting that Star Wars was a low-budget '70s film) that if they were to allow every variation that showed up on screen it would devolve into 'anything goes'. There are troopers with 10 teeth, troopers with 6, troopers missing tube stripes, TKs with unpainted ab buttons, stunt troopers with four rivets on their belts (instead of two), missing holsters, missing thermal detonators, troopers with shoulder covers put on backwards, some held together with nothing but duct tape... so instead the focus is on the majority depiction in the film.

TL;DR: Yes, there was trooper with 10 teeth. Doesn't mean it has to be approvable. My two cents.

Any reason why it shouldn't be approved?

Really, if you want to replicate a certain trooper on screen then you should be free to do so. You are still instantly recognisable as a Stormtrooper so what's the big deal? Take a look at this photo. What do you see? Stormtroopers! So what if some helmets have more teeth cut out than others, or they are wearing duplicate arms or incorrectly assembled shins - they are all Stormtroopers. All these quirks give them character. And regardless of what you are force-fed by the CRL's making you all look like boring clones, these guys on screen look super cool :P

mW1vEyz.png

6 hours ago, Schmetterhemd said:

I hope, Frank is not angry to much because we captured his build thread for this "off-topic" discussion :)

Back to the regular scheduled build thread. Keep up the good work Frank.  

• Like 2

At the end of the day, it is a simple matter of what do you want to achieve with your costume?

If your goal is to join the 501st as a Stormtrooper variant, you must make the decision as to which one you want to replicate, and follow that particular CRL.

If however, you choose to build a screen accurate (and for the record, Legion TKs aren’t really screen accurate, as mentioned above, too many variables) Stormtrooper for your own personal enjoyment whether that is for display purposes, or for a Halloween costume, or whatever you choose to do with it, then pick one on screen, and knock yourself out.

People here will support you and help you as best as they can, but in order to do so you have to say up front what it is that you are doing, so that they know what type of help and which references they should use to offer their help.

You will find no shortage of experts here.  

There are experts in screen built/used costumes who will definitely chime in should you say that you’re building one for a replica for display purposes.  They’ll be able to tell you exactly which type of snaps were used in various connections even.

Far more numerous are experts in the costume requirements for joining the 501st Legion, who will be happy to assist you in either endeavor with a positive attitude and support.

Please recognize the difference in who is making Which comments, and apply their advice as it suits your needs.  There is no need for bullying, bashing, or putting down of either group, as each has gleaned their individual expertise by their own merits, and each can offer you advice that is tailored to helping you achieve your goals.

Regardless of your intended purpose, I wish you the best of luck with your build! ;)

• Like 9

Really up to you how you want to build, stick to the CRL to gain basic approval then once approved emulate a screen version, it's a bit like adding EIB and Centurion details to a base build ;) For me some of the screen accuracy I would like in my kit but how often and hard I troop it is really not feasible for me to do so.

Good luck with what you decide, hopefully it won't be too long until you have those ID numbers :) 

• Like 2

This reminds me of my own internal conversations watching ANH recently (it only had a two-word title when I saw it the first times, btw); right at the beginning this trooper goes by with no TD and I’m like, “why do I have to get all nit-picky about screw heads?” But as I watched the film, and read the various threads here, I realized it was about an ideal. All the 501st are well-done, some are just highly detailed. I definitely want mine to turn out well-done. At the least.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Jethro Skull said:

I definitely want mine to turn out well-done. At the least.

Just remember to pull your armor off the grill when it hits 165°F. :P

Edited by Harbinger
  • Like 1

Frank it is unfortunate that your build thread has gone in a different direction then it’s original intention.  I think Tim has made a very well done post. Just to reiterate that you are surrounded by experts in all directions. If you would like to join the 501st then the experts in the CRL will shine. If you are not interested in the 501st and are more interested in screen replication then the screen replication experts will shine.  Don’t be afraid to let everyone know and you will be steered in the right direction. I hope you enjoy your build. 

Disclaimer:  This is Franks build thread. Let’s keep it that. If there is any off topic bashing or snide remarks by anyone moving forward, it may send you to the time out chair.

Move Along. Move Along...

• Like 4

13 hours ago, T-Jay said:

Once you have earned the distinction of EIB or Centurion, those titles are yours, as long as you own that costume.

If you sell it to someone else, the title does not transfer.  

As mentioned above, if you are a Centurion, and retire, or go to an inactive status, you will have to submit that costume for basic level approval under the CRL that is current at the time of application.  If there have been drastic changes to said CRL, you will have to upgrade to meet standards.  The same applies for EIB and Centurion.  You would need to resubmit the costume under the current standards for consideration.

• Like 1

At the end of the day, approval for 501st membership comes down to the GML, who more often than not are not members of FISD and they judge costumes by their own heart and the CRL. The CRL tries to be balanced between accurate and uniform across the whole club. That also goes for the higher levels, although those emphasise accuracy, uniformity is still key.

That being said, sometimes our members here do go a bit overboard with what they think should be "required". I think a lot of us are guilty of that, myself included. The key think to remember is that most of us have no real influence on who's approved and not.

Personally I don't have any issue at all about the amount of teeth cut out of a helmet as long as it's done for the right reasons, like having studied real helmets and choosing to emulate a specific one due to personal preference.

• Like 1

Nice build thread Frank, looking forward to seeing more images of your progression and then your application for EIB

Carry on.

• Like 1

Did some work on a thigh the other day. That’s been my hold up. Hopefully once it dries I’ll be able to get the second one done faster. Pretty much have everything I need just saving the money up for the amplifier system and a hearing assist. Got some model mold to fill the last tooth so it’ll be a non issue soon. 

• Like 1

What are you doing for your voice system?  RomFx is doing one last run currently if you haven't made a purchase.  It is a very good set.  Otherwise there is the Icomm which I use and I like that as well.

7 minutes ago, starsaber25 said:

What are you doing for your voice system?  RomFx is doing one last run currently if you haven't made a purchase.  It is a very good set.  Otherwise there is the Icomm which I use and I like that as well.

Not sure yet. I’ve grown fond of Ukswrath’s hovi mic system with the icomm cause I think it’s real cool. And his hearing assist looks good too. Just trying to get the money together. Don’t think I’ve seen the RomFX, I’ll have to check it out too.