TheDon's Build: BSP/KB Props TLJ FOTK

TheDon

I needed another project like I need a hole in my head! But I sold off my ShoreTrooper and decided ita time for something clean and pristine.  I'm very happy the new FOTK in TLJ has a better bucket that is more true to its origin and I ordered a lid from BSP and I am very impressed at its quality and lightness.  

Compredto my shoretrooper bucket this thing will not give me a headache after wearing for a long time 

7f12aqB.jpg

i was reading the CRL and it states the frown has to have black mesh behind it. So I guess I have to cut them out and use the mesh that's available? 

xPaaCEG.jpg

Im also going to be different when it comes to painting. I'm hoping to use the same brand of paint I used for my ShoreTrooper, Montana Gold. It's amazing the quality you get when you stop using krylon or rustoleum grade crap.  I've got a can of black at home.  Hopefully my test is successful and I can use these paints on my armor. They worked out beautifully on my shore. 

also, I uploaded these from my phone and they were fine on the mobile version of the forum but now on my laptop I see they are rotated.. thanks iphone...

Edited by TheDon
  • Like 1

I think it means the mesh pattern continues between the teeth? BSP doesn’t have them though, not sure. CRL photo looks like it’s just the same honeycomb mesh pattern between the teeth

BSP does not have the honey comb in the teeth area. I think KB's does

Also I think the helmet used for the CRL is a Jimi bucket, which has the mesh molded into it. Dang it BSP

Edited by TheDon

39 minutes ago, TheDon said:

BSP does not have the honey comb in the teeth area. I think KB's does

Also I think the helmet used for the CRL is a Jimi bucket, which has the mesh molded into it. Dang it BSP

oh yup, on closer inspection of your purchased bucket from BSP, it appears that you are missing the mesh between the teeth.  Oh my!

yeah Jims has the Mesh already cast in but its also not see through or breathable like the OT is.  its solid on the backside. 

So i wouldnt bother cutting that area out but instead just cut and glue in the mesh.

Lastly i also used Montana Cans on my build and love the stuff!  my Only complaint with it is that its on the softer side of paint and if you leave something against the painted surface it tends to dent over time.  not hard like Enamel.  

Yes...BSP rushed it and didn’t pick-up in the mesh behind teeth. You should be able to find something to suit or get someone to 3D print the mesh for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So where can I find the hex mesh to match? I paid well for this bucket and now I'm a little upset BSP missed that detail 

Jim sold mesh with his original FOTK. You might also be able to find the correct size in gardening mesh. Just make sure it’s hex mesh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I was going to buy frown mesh from trooper bay. I do have a 3d printer but I can't get that fine of a detail. 

I emailed my detachments GML for clarification on that line. I'm hoping I can just cut out and glue mesh behind like we do with the classic TK. it's all black, no one will notice it. 

Edited by TheDon

Items still needed

• neck seal
  • Gaskets
  • consumables (glue, paint, etc)
  • Helmet fans
  • voice/com system
  • soft pouches for belt
  • metal holster

Items in my possession

• BSP Bucket
  • mesh for frown
  • F11D 3D printed parts to assemble and paint
    • started working on it today 11/23/17 (so much to paint!)
  • Husky bin
  •  Belt
  • Helmet fans 
  • Imperial Boots Gloves
  • Imperial Boots T7 boots
  • gaskets 
  • neck seal 
  • KB Props FOTK armor
  •  

sooo much to order

Edited by TheDon

Interesting, might look a bit after its cut up to have actual mesh instead of molded. will be following with great interest.

I know on my TK I like the cut out and mesh backing. It's a place to add fans and pull air in, which you can do with the side vents as well

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy. Ran into the mesh problem on my BSP and KB props helmets so spun up this hexagon mesh file to replace them. I'm probably going to back mine with a fine mesh but you could also back it with a sheet of plastic or print with a raft. 

*Updated* Changed the file to have wider walls.

BSP FOTK Mesh.stl

Edited by Cordaite
  • Like 1

On 11/14/2017 at 6:50 PM, KellwolfB6 said:

I just ordered a KB TLJ bucket if you wanna do a side by side comparison at some point. I'm still thinking build party at MakerFX......

I'm thinking we'll have a helmet build day one Saturday soon if you're good with Saturday's or Sunday afternoons 

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Justin96039 said:

Do the KB helmets not have the mesh also?

KB props has the mesh

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I decided to not sell the stuff and began trimming at an armor party we had yesterday for our local squad 

mXPlA32.jpg[/img]

0foDj5G.jpg[/img]

U2PyVLQ.jpg

I screwed up this forearm. I over sanded and got into the little pill shape.  The pull on some details is a little soft but the armor is a lot thicker than anovos.  Hopefully I can fix this.  I’m stuck on how KB’s forearms go together.  I’m going to put those aside and deal with them later. 

Might start doing body work and paint on the bucket.  The lenses aren’t dark enough for my liking so I’ll put Limo tint over them 

I'm also working on my F11D and I'm almost done painting the parts I have printed and I realized I have been using gloss white and black instead of matte. I'm going to have to clear coat it with matte clear to solve the gloss issue. I also got tired of sanding and sanding and filling.... so what I end up will have to do. I did get rid of 95% of the print lines. The matte clear should also help hide some imperfections. 

I'm eventually going to make a heavy F11D 

I actually used automotive acrylic paint as the finish it gives a satin look especially when you don't clear coat. On my second blaster I used gloss paints which where easier to obtains then went over with a satin clear.