I finally started a claim today with my credit card company against Anovos. I cancelled my Anovos order October 23 and was told 12-15 business days. Anovos is no longer returning my emails. Imagine that. My AP armour is almost completed and I expect to be applying for the 501st early next week. 

Order of events:

Anovos ANH TK orderd January 12th

Anovos cancellation request email sent out October 16

AP ANH TK ordered October 17

Anovos Cancellation confirmed October 24

AP armour delivered November 2

AP armour construction start November 24

AP armour almost complete December 8

Anovos refund?   Nope.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2017 at 11:13 AM, Daetrin said:

Yup.  ATA does a lot of orders for ANOVOS replacement parts, e.g. ANOVOS parts that wear out and break.  His prices for parts are excellent.

This is good to know, I been wanting to redo my thighs for my anovos kit and finding replacements is difficult to do

Thank you ATA! We wouldn't know what to do without you.

This kit is so durable, I've trooped in mine for almost ten years now. It finally needs a coat of paint. A couple cans of gloss white Krylon Fusion after a good rubdown with vinegar. Good as new.

• Like 1

I ordered my Anovos TK kit in April 2015 as part of the "first wave" offering...and I just opened the box a couple of weeks ago to finally start building (life kept getting in the way).

Looking at the biceps, I noticed I had two #15 parts and no #14. I figured I was toast. But, I went on Anovos' site and figured I'd try the live chat, not expecting much. I ended up very impressed: I had the #14 part in my hands exactly 1 week later.

I know Anovos takes a lot of bashing, and I can't argue with that. But, in my case, they went out of their way to make it right...even though I ordered over 2 years ago. If you can get Charlie on the live chat he was very helpful.

Edited by aramis
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/2/2017 at 3:52 PM, Evil Robot Ted said:

As far as replacement parts go, is their a particular alternative manufacturer that is close?  In other words, are the color of whites different enough to notice?  I need a new butt.  :mellow:

My furry friends want me to adapt my Anovos suit so I can wear my wolf head and tail. To do that right I'd get a separate butt piece with a tailhole. (I mean a hole in the butt plate, not the anatomical reference! :lol:) Come to think of it, I might have to adapt the neck opening, too. Spare parts are useful. 

Silliness aside, last November I ordered an Anovos ANH TK kit from a seller on eBay. I received it in good time; it looks like it sat around unbuilt for a long time. The instructions were in the best Ikea tradition, but with the help of Ukswrath's build thread and others, I got my kit together. So the seller is not vetted until they get their act together, but the kits, properly built, are. 

Edited by Timberwoof
Added Anovos story.

On 7.11.2017 at 7:45 PM, R2BLDRTK said:

Anovos at first was expensive; but wow does it look sharp and comes with almost everything! I’ve got AP now, but it may be time to upgrade later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sharp pulls usually result from thin material. I got one of the first anovos classic TKs, it's fine work, but I'm not sure if it'll last long. Also I had a very very bad experience with their customer service. If you're looking for an upgrade, you should rather consider TM, RS or one of the other vetted makers.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey there,  I have been considering joining the 501st for a while. A close friend of mine got me an original trilogy stormtrooper helmet (version 2.0) from Anovos. Would this be considered ok? I hear a lot of members stating as long as the looks are accurate. My concern is if this company has a track record for their helm meeting with 501st standards. 

1 minute ago, VicSage said:

Hey there,  I have been considering joining the 501st for a while. A close friend of mine got me an original trilogy stormtrooper helmet (version 2.0) from Anovos. Would this be considered ok? I hear a lot of members stating as long as the looks are accurate. My concern is if this company has a track record for their helm meeting with 501st standards. 

Hi Lauren, you will see lots of members approved in Anovos kits. It is considered accurate enough for approval though most make some modifications such as cutting out some of the flashing in the eyes, painting the inside black, etc. Take a look in the Centurion applications subforum to see some of the best built Anovos kits!

• Like 2

Just now, VicSage said:

I am also wondering if it is OK to seek for the rest of the costume build through other businesses. I know my friends did this with kind intentions, I just want to make sure this is done correctly before I act on anything furher.

You just need to be aware that the whites will not likely match perfectly. I have a friend who uses an Anovos helmet and chest plate with his FX kit and you don't really notice.

3 minutes ago, lucnak said:

Hi Lauren, you will see lots of members approved in Anovos kits. It is considered accurate enough for approval though most make some modifications such as cutting out some of the flashing in the eyes, painting the inside black, etc. Take a look in the Centurion applications subforum to see some of the best built Anovos kits!

Ok, will do. Thank you for the direction. 

3 minutes ago, lucnak said:

You just need to be aware that the whites will not likely match perfectly. I have a friend who uses an Anovos helmet and chest plate with his FX kit and you don't really notice.

Sounds good. Just checking out options.

2 hours ago, VicSage said:

I have never heard of anyone having issues with Anovos gear not meeting 501st standards when assembled correctly. Their track record problems are more on the fulfillment side of things - they make a good product for the price but you will be waiting for it, sometimes a year or more.

• 1 month later...
On 2/27/2018 at 4:50 PM, Harbinger said:

I have never heard of anyone having issues with Anovos gear not meeting 501st standards when assembled correctly. Their track record problems are more on the fulfillment side of things - they make a good product for the price but you will be waiting for it, sometimes a year or more.

I ordered an Anovos ANH TK kit at last Star Wars Celebration myself. The wait has surpassed a year now, but I personally do not mind the wait at all. I am much much more concerned about the quality of the product.

It seems there is much ambivalence surrounding Anovos— probably a result of their alledgely poor customer service; however, I am having trouble discerning between customers upset with the lack of replacement parts (which they added to the site recently), poor customer service, and long shipping times, and customers actually disatisfied with the product they received. If I do end up cancelling my first TK kit order ever, it won’t be because of the long wait. Instead, it’d be because someone testified against the quality of Anovos armor. 

Edited by Erice3339

14 hours ago, Erice3339 said:

If I do end up cancelling my first TK kit order ever, it won’t be because of the long wait. Instead, it’d be because someone testified against the quality of Anovos armor. 

The quality of their molds is good (but not as good as some much more expensive armorers), the armor looks great when built accurately. The belt on the other hand...*cringe*

Anyway, the main quality complaint people have is the thickness of the plastic. It is VERY thin, especially when put next to a more substantial plastic like that in TM, AP, and many others. This means it is more prone to cracking or warping. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2018 at 2:22 PM, Neb Sgird said:

The quality of their molds is good (but not as good as some much more expensive armorers), the armor looks great when built accurately. The belt on the other hand...*cringe*

Anyway, the main quality complaint people have is the thickness of the plastic. It is VERY thin, especially when put next to a more substantial plastic like that in TM, AP, and many others. This means it is more prone to cracking or warping. 

Thank you for the feedback. A recent kit update by Anovos changed the belt from being assembled upon delivery to coming in pieces. I intend to purchase a better, canvas belt from Kittle. As for the thickness, there are ways to reinforce problem areas, no? Another question I have is, if I do follow Wrath’s build closely, will I still be likely to skew the accuracy of the build (again noting that I am a first-time builder)? 

3 hours ago, Erice3339 said:

Thank you for the feedback. A recent kit update by Anovos changed the belt from being assembled upon delivery to coming in pieces. I intend to purchase a better, canvas belt from Kittle. As for the thickness, there are ways to reinforce problem areas, no? Another question I have is, if I do follow Wrath’s build closely, will I still be likely to skew the accuracy of the build (again noting that I am a first-time builder)? 

@TKittell's belt is great, I troop with one myself. Yes, you can definitely reinforce problem areas (corners of the chest, top of the shins, etc.) from behind with strips of ABS, sackcloth, or the like. 

If you do plenty of research, check build threads and centurion approval pictures, post any questions you might have around here somewhere, and always measure twice and cut once, you aren't likely to mess up anything irreparably. There's a treasure trove of resources and helpers here on FISD (and in your local garrison, I'm sure) that will help you through. 

You can't go wrong following Tony's (ukswrath) build, Eric, especially if your are (hopefully) aiming for Centurion.  

I would highly recommend reinforcing the inside of some of the areas that are prone to cracking/splitting on the Anovos armor, especially in the areas seen in red below:

nFy89kM.jpg?3  basJPqm.jpg?4

A word of advice on strapping systems:  The "strapping" kit that is included with the Anovos armor consists of Velcro.  Using this to build the kit will work, but is really not all that practical for trooping in the long run.  Pieces can fall off, and the Velcro will eventually wear out from repeated use.

If you don't feel up to going with the "classic" (bracket) system that Tony used, I suggest using the nylon strapping method that most of us use.  It costs a little more and takes more time to construct, but it is well worth it.  I have a tutorial here that will help:  https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/44617-snap-setting-101/

If you haven't done so yet, you should sign up at the Florida Garrison boards, https://fl501st.com/.  You are located in the Everglades Squad area, and there may be someone in that area that can help you out with your build on a local level, but always feel free to ask any questions here that you may have.

Also, I recommend getting all of the items you will need for your build together before your kit arrives.  It will make life easier not having to scramble around at the last minute, believe me.  https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/31404-supply-list-for-your-tk-build/

• Like 1

On 4/28/2018 at 5:34 AM, justjoseph63 said:

You can't go wrong following Tony's (ukswrath) build, Eric, especially if your are (hopefully) aiming for Centurion.  

I would highly recommend reinforcing the inside of some of the areas that are prone to cracking/splitting on the Anovos armor, especially in the areas seen in red below:

nFy89kM.jpg?3  basJPqm.jpg?4

A word of advice on strapping systems:  The "strapping" kit that is included with the Anovos armor consists of Velcro.  Using this to build the kit will work, but is really not all that practical for trooping in the long run.  Pieces can fall off, and the Velcro will eventually wear out from repeated use.

If you don't feel up to going with the "classic" (bracket) system that Tony used, I suggest using the nylon strapping method that most of us use.  It costs a little more and takes more time to construct, but it is well worth it.  I have a tutorial here that will help:  https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/44617-snap-setting-101/

If you haven't done so yet, you should sign up at the Florida Garrison boards, https://fl501st.com/.  You are located in the Everglades Squad area, and there may be someone in that area that can help you out with your build on a local level, but always feel free to ask any questions here that you may have.

Also, I recommend getting all of the items you will need for your build together before your kit arrives.  It will make life easier not having to scramble around at the last minute, believe me.  https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/31404-supply-list-for-your-tk-build/

Thanks Joseph! We had spoken on FISD almost 8-9 months ago, and I obtained similar information from you then. I’ve since followed it best I can, and have made contact with a TK named David, a 501st builder. Long story short, with the preparation near done, I am just waiting on ANOVOS (which, to me, is fine). It’s been a year and change so far, but I am in no rush. 

I intend to use the snap system over the classic or ANOVOS-supplied setup. I’ve already gotten most of the supplies to do so from Joann’s and Tandy Leather Factory. David uses the same system too. As for reinforcements, should I just purchase ABS plastic from Lowes or Home Depot, cut/shape it, and then glue it with E-6000 underneath the armor? What about sackcloth like Neb suggested? 

Thanks again for the help! 

On 4/27/2018 at 5:36 PM, Neb Sgird said:

@TKittell's belt is great, I troop with one myself. Yes, you can definitely reinforce problem areas (corners of the chest, top of the shins, etc.) from behind with strips of ABS, sackcloth, or the like. 

If you do plenty of research, check build threads and centurion approval pictures, post any questions you might have around here somewhere, and always measure twice and cut once, you aren't likely to mess up anything irreparably. There's a treasure trove of resources and helpers here on FISD (and in your local garrison, I'm sure) that will help you through. 

I’ve been doing my best to do that and more; there are many intricacies associated with armor builiding it seems. I was also relieved to find out ANOVOS now offers replacement pieces should I mess up, but I will be sure to measure thrice before cutting. 

Thanks for the replies, reinforcement suggestions, and other advice!

Thanks Joseph! We had spoken on FISD almost 8-9 months ago, and I obtained similar information from you then. I’ve since followed it best I can, and have made contact with a TK named David, a 501st builder. Long story short, with the preparation near done, I am just waiting on ANOVOS (which, to me, is fine). It’s been a year and change so far, but I am in no rush. 

I intend to use the snap system over the classic or ANOVOS-supplied setup. I’ve already gotten most of the supplies to do so from Joann’s and Tandy Leather Factory. David uses the same system too. As for reinforcements, should I just purchase ABS plastic from Lowes or Home Depot, cut/shape it, and then glue it with E-6000 underneath the armor? What about sackcloth like Neb suggested? 

Thanks again for the help! 

No worries about extra ABS, you'll have plenty once you start trimming out your kit when it arrives

I wished I had reinforced mine initially, as after almost two years of trooping with my Anovos kit, I've added several pieces and repairs with ABS paste fixing those cracks

Sent from my Imperial TK communicator

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Erice3339 said:

I’ve been doing my best to do that and more; there are many intricacies associated with armor builiding it seems. I was also relieved to find out ANOVOS now offers replacement pieces should I mess up, but I will be sure to measure thrice before cutting. 

Thanks for the replies, reinforcement suggestions, and other advice!

Some spot-on info. from Jim there, Eric.  There should be plenty enough ABS scrap to make all the reinforced areas, and I would also highly suggest making inside cover strips in the calves.  Those get opened and closed a lot, and the wear and tear can eventually lead to the E-6000 failing on the front ones.

Be aware that although Anovos is advertising replacement parts, they are out of stock on many if not all of them for the foreseeable future.

19 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

Some spot-on info. from Jim there, Eric.  There should be plenty enough ABS scrap to make all the reinforced areas, and I would also highly suggest making inside cover strips in the calves.  Those get opened and closed a lot, and the wear and tear can eventually lead to the E-6000 failing on the front ones.

Be aware that although Anovos is advertising replacement parts, they are out of stock on many if not all of them for the foreseeable future.

That’s good to hear; I had forgotten about the inevitable ABS scrap. Do you think I should reinforce these areas as I build or, after I have everything assembled and ready for wear, should I go back and reinforce the areas designated in the photos you posted earlier? I imagine it might be easier to do the reinforcements and extra cover strips after I have the parts assembled, no? 

As for the ANOVOS extra parts, you are right, but, absolute worst-case scenario, I could order parts and wait. I rather take my time and do this right; however, if that means waiting on extra parts provided I make an irreversible mistake, then so be it.