Bri's Jimmi FO TK Build

Tee-Kay Fisto

Hello my White Clad Brothers and Sisters

It's ages since I was active on here but it feels like coming home after a holiday.

Been busy building ...... sorry for this , Black Armour!!!! After I got my approval and started trooping my wife saw what it was all about and decided to join the empire. We got hold of ....... again sorry for this, a Tie Pilot kit. We put the helmet and chest box together and Lynn sourced the rest of her costume and after making sure it was all done right she submitted and was cleared. She now troops at my side as TI91810. She has been bitten by the bug now and is now working on a Jawa. Boy how things have changed around here recently :jc_doublethumbup:

Anyway I digress. Like so many on here I had paid my money and (almost) happily waited for Anovos to ship their FO TK kits. With the delay announced I thought STUFF ANOVOS!

I'd been gathering the parts for the build hoping against hope that Anovos would deliver. I know, I should have known better but I like to be optimistic.

Imperial boots and gloves from a fellow garrison member who was selling.

37584396076_98d6afbe58_c.jpgImperial Boots by brian.mcdavid, on Flickr

36962334463_a21e3a1eac_c.jpgImperial Gloves by brian.mcdavid, on Flickr

Imperial gloves were a wee bit big but luckily another garrison member was parting with a pair of Endor Finder gloves in a better size.

37374430460_6378fee1a4_c.jpgEndor Finders Gloves by brian.mcdavid, on Flickr

Looked at a couple of options in ABS and read reviews of several different kits and eventually settled on Jim Tripon's fibreglass kit.

Ordered the kit and was surprised how quickly this happened

36922874944_2461b2f477_c.jpgBBB Day by brian.mcdavid, on Flickr

37584394656_b75011c7c6_c.jpgTLJ Helmet by brian.mcdavid, on Flickr

37374430360_0a5c79c140_c.jpgArmour by brian.mcdavid, on Flickr

The chest plate was damaged in transit when it collapsed inwards. I contacted Jim to let him know that the kit had arrived and advise about the damage. Chest collapsed and a couple of cracks in the edges of some pieces. Jim immediatelly offered to replace the chest plate. The cracks are easily fixed but the chest would have been more difficult. New chest arrived less than a week later in perfect condition

• Like 1

Hello Again

Another installment already.

After ordering the kit from Jim started sourcing and ordering more goodies.

Undersuit from Strormtrooperundersuit. As everyone has said about this suit, order bigger than you normally take. I ordered an XL and it is a good fit.

37886285971_6d6bc42787_c.jpgUndersuit by brian.mcdavid, on Flickr

I am excitedly awaiting the arival of my gaskets and neckseal from Teresa ( GEEKY PINK'S PHANTASTIC GASKETS). Hoping they will arrive this week to allow me to start sizing the armour.

Ordered a leg holster from R2Dan and waiting on shipping.

Contacted Darren (JAFO) about one of his fantastic belts and waiting on his next run.

Ordered a machined aluminium Aerator from Vaderpainter, really nice piece of work.

37166445433_e1913fa8b5_c.jpgAerator Tip by brian.mcdavid, on Flickr

Anyway on with the armour.

Sprayed the armour with a filler primer

37886288681_31e2a74136_c.jpgArmour Primed by brian.mcdavid, on Flickr

Bit of a shocking look but good as it really shows up any imperfections once you start sanding

24034272488_a541514b2a_c.jpgSanding Started by brian.mcdavid, on Flickr

24034276158_744ebb6bc5_c.jpgTest Finish by brian.mcdavid, on Flickr

Tested a bit of white paint on one shin to get an idea of the surface finish in that last photo. Need to have more tests to get the finish how I want it. This means more sanding. Just great fun sanding armour. Three hours of sanding and two really sore arms later my helmet turned out nice and smooth

37166446623_7072e7f765_c.jpgHelmet Sanded by brian.mcdavid, on Flickr

Made my first cuts to the armour by rough cutting the eyes and vent holes. Very therapeutic after all that sanding.

37855217512_4a4a7fb08c_c.jpgFirst Cuts by brian.mcdavid, on Flickr

Made repairs to the cracked limbs so that I can get started on finish sanding before priming and initial trimming. Got to say that I'm not looking forward to trimming this armour. Never worked with fibreglass before so a bit nervous. Bit like my TK build I suppose but got more confidence now.

37629289770_eed5734e7c_c.jpgRepairs Starting by brian.mcdavid, on Flickr

That's where we are now my friends. Starting nightshift tomorrow so not expecting much progress over the next 4 days.

Oh, before I forget, we bought a 3D printer and it has been getting worked hard over the last 2 weeks. Been printing Germain's F-11D and SE-44C

37855217292_3f9fc41161_c.jpgBlasters, Blasters, Blasters by brian.mcdavid, on Flickr

With unquestioned loyallty

Brian

• Like 1

Coming along nicely mate! Look forward to further progress :jc_doublethumbup:

Thanks Darren.
Now it will slow down for a few days with work getting in the way. Gotta try and keep the momentum up as got my sight set on being able to troop the midnight premiere of TLJ.
Me and my big ideas always seem to just pile the pressure on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is looking very promising! :D You can definitely do this before the premiere. I want to see many pictures! :salute:

10 hours ago, Bri_McD135 said:

37886288681_31e2a74136_c.jpg

giphy.gif

• Like 1

This is looking very promising!  You can definitely do this before the premiere. I want to see many pictures! :salute:

giphy.gif

Thanks for the encouragement. Not had time to post update lately but I'll try and get something up later.

Hi

Here is another small update. Hard trying to get the time to have a good run at this. Anyone who has assembled this armour will know how much work is involved.

Got time off booked from work to give me a good 10 days or so to break the back of this build

Happy start for this update as my gaskets arrives from Teresa (Geeky Pink). I have to say right out that I have never received anything that has had such care and personal touch put into it, and that's before I unwrapped it to find fantasic craftwomanship in every part of my order. It all fits like a glove. Now I can start sizing the armour to fit better.

37337129894_bd71cd086d_c.jpgSweet delivery by brian.mcdavid, on Flickr

38046298651_e954387f79_c.jpgBest packaging ever by brian.mcdavid, on Flickr

37337129934_323cd94ff1_c.jpgBaskets, harness and neck seal by brian.mcdavid, on Flickr

Now that's out the way onto the build. More filling and sanding. Luckily I'm not finding very many places that need filler. Filled where I have found so far and once the filler dries sanding back to 800 grit. Couple more small cracks found when doing initial sanding so repaired them with fibreglass repair tissue and resin.

Had some left over resin mixed up so painted it onto the inside of my replacement chest piece. After it dried it has strengthened the chest without stiffening it much and has made me consider doing it to the whole armour.

Thoughts? Has anyone else done this?

I'm not going to post lots of pictures of filled and sanded armour. We all know what it looks like ;)

In saying that, here is the helmet only because I filed out the tube vents and eyes.

Do the eyes look OK or do I need to take them into the middle a bit more?

26269953649_04fbfa6f76_c.jpgVents filed out by brian.mcdavid, on Flickr

26269953719_39bd69a97d_c.jpgEyes trimmed out by brian.mcdavid, on Flickr

Going to keep at this every time I get a chancebut I've come to the conclusion that I am not going to be able to paint this myself. I even bought a tent as suggested by Daniel (Ensi) but the way the weather is turning in Scotland it is not an option. I even tried putting the tent up in my garage but the fumes going through the rest of the house were pretty mean. Struggling to find a paint I was happy with too. Tried a couple of different types/brands but nothing I was happy with. Probably just the conditions that spoiled it for getting the finish I wanted.

Tomorrow I am going to visit a local bodyshop to see if they can do it. The guy on the phone laughed when I told him what I wanted painted and asked if they actually made stormtrooper armour in my size!!!!! Lets see how it goes in the morning  :6:

Started sanding and painting the parts of the F11d when I found a quiet ten minutes during nightshift last week. Bonus :duim:

Thanks for looking

Brian

• Like 1

Ask Anna who painted short trooper’s battle buddy - they seemed to make a good job of that.

Thanks Mark. I'll see how I get on today. There are several places near me so I'll try a couple of them first. I'd rather get it in someplace local for ease of transport

On 31/10/2017 at 2:43 AM, humperdingle said:

Ask Anna who painted short trooper’s battle buddy - they seemed to make a good job of that.

Reached out to Anna today as nowhere locally can help on this. As soon as I mention what I need painted the tone of convesation changes. Even people I've shown the kit to don't seem to know how they would go about the task of painting it.

3 hours ago, Bri_McD135 said:

Reached out to Anna today as nowhere locally can help on this. As soon as I mention what I need painted the tone of convesation changes. Even people I've shown the kit to don't seem to know how they would go about the task of painting it.

Cool, hope you get it sorted :)

• 1 year later...

Hello there

Sorry for being away for so long but so much going on and only so much time.

SPOILER ALERT

Managed to get this armour finished in time for the midnight premiere of TLJ but my clearance didn't come through until December 19th 2017. I was TLJ FOTK number 8 in the world.

I will get the rest of the build thread completed as I have the full build over on the UKG. I was in so much of a rush to get the armour finished in time for the premiere that the online stuff kinda fell to the dark side. (the only way to go)

Since then there has been a smelly filthy Jawa for my wife, the start of a Shoretrooper, many blasters and the beginning of a Clone now.

I will try to get this build thread finished soon and get my online presence back up to where it was.

See you all soon

Bri

ps. This is how I trooped the midnight premiere of TLJ with a young friend (with great taste in costumes)

47996091972_0b029fa147_z.jpgUntitled by brian.mcdavid, on Flickr

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Looking sharp trooper, congrats on your approval

Thanks Q.

Wish it still looked that good but after 18 months of trooping it's in need of some much needed TLC. Need to spend some time fixing up the paintwork.

Never ending trooper troubles :laugh1:

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bri_McD135 said:

Thanks Q.

Wish it still looked that good but after 18 months of trooping it's in need of some much needed TLC. Need to spend some time fixing up the paintwork.

Never ending trooper troubles :laugh1:

We all go through it ;) 

Scotland’s finest! Great to see you here Brian! That ‘Mini Me’ pic always raises a smile. Love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Scotland’s finest! Great to see you here Brian! That ‘Mini Me’ pic always raises a smile. Love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks Darren. I think that photo is my absolute favourite ever. Like you say it always raises a smile with everyone who sees it (even people that don’t like Star Wars!!!)

• Like 1

Great photo Brian and welcome back to the boards.

Thanks Andrew. It’s nice to be back among family and see what’s happening with everyone

Awesome photo Brien :jc_doublethumbup: Both are looking great

Thanks Tony.
Unfortunately my little friends family have moved away so we don’t get to see her at events very often now. She has also outgrown her FO so is rocking a Dinky Darth at the moment

• Like 1