NotRookie

NotRookie’s slow motion R1TK build (Jimmi)

Hi everybody!  DS-55305 here, hoping to become TK-55305. Although we have a lot of TK’s in my garrison/squad, I’m the first one to try an R1 down here. I doubt I’ll be there first to finish, though. I can only work on my TK about 2-4 days a month, so this is a marathon, not a sprint for me. 

I ordered my R1TK from Jimmi about 3-4 months ago, and it arrived about 2 weeks ago - cheapest shipping option ftw!

37611695900_73b0c32964_b.jpg

I was way too happy when I saw this. Unreasonably happy. Like “I’m an adult, I should not be this happy over a costume kit” happy. Unfortunately, I couldn’t really go through it until today. 

37611748510_5af04463fb_b.jpg

Unfortunately, there was some damage to the codpiece and right thigh (and minor damage to the butt plate). 

37869137341_23470cb885_b.jpg

I’ve sent a message to Jimmi, but if I can’t get a replacement, I’m not sure how to fix it. I think I can fiberglass the inside, then use bondo to smooth over the crack, but if anyone has a better idea, please let me know. 

In in the meantime, I’ve plastidipped the inside of the helmet, put some primer on it, and used spot putty to fix the (very few) imperfections in the helmet. I also drilled out and filed down the area between the teeth, so I feel like I’ve made some good progress here. 

24016116148_e7d8ef964c_b.jpg

Next week I hope to paint the helmet. I’m thinking of buying some oil-based paint pens for the blue inside the vents and the black lines in the tears/traps. Am I overthinking this? Would a paint brush be just as good?  I have basically zero artistic ability, but I’m willing to keep trying until I get it right. 

Side note: I’ve decided to prime and (white) plastidip the insides of the armor rather than sanding the interior because I HATE sanding. Hopefully it works out. Fingers crossed. 

Edited by NotRookie
  • Like 1

Hi mate 

When my kit arrived i had a large crack in the top of the chest piece.  Jim sent me out a replacement straight away so Im sure he'll look after you, I know he's in the process of changing shipping companies though.

While I was waiting I decided to see if I could repair the damage though.  I started by using superglue in the crack to hold it together.  Then I used Araldite 2 part epoxy resin, smeared thinly on the front, more thickly on the back for reinforcement.  Once sanded down the result is quite smooth, I'll be interested to see how it comes out when I paint it.

I was able to put in a few hours on Sunday and managed to prime almost every piece (ran out of room on the tarp again :/ ). I also put on a few coats of gloss white on the helmet. Another light sanding and 1-2 more coats and I think it’ll be ready for painting the details. The “glue the crack Andre epoxy both sides” method seems to have worked. I’ll bring in my power sander next week since I maaaaaayyyyy have put way to much epoxy on the armor. 

I also managed to try on most of the pieces, and I think I’m going to have to do some trimming. Specifically, the shins seem a bit too long - I got the tall shins since I’m 6’0”, but that seems to have been a mistake. I’m not sure how to recreate the layered look for the cover strip edges, but I suppose I’ll burn that bridge when I get to it. 

It looks like I’m going to have to trim and re-glue the thighs to make them slimmer and shorter. I’m no expert, but I’m pretty sure I shouldn’t be able to fit my hand between my thigh and the thigh armor. 

Jimmi’s kit looks like it can only be assembled via the overlap method. Should I stick with E6000?  I’m unsure of whether there would be any benefit to it since it feels like the armor would tear if I tried to pry apart two pieces that were E6000’d together. 

Ok. I just got mine a few weeks ago. You’ve put this off long enough. Let’s finish our kits!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk