Jump to content
NotRookie

NotRookie’s slow motion R1TK build (Jimmi)

Recommended Posts

Hi everybody!  DS-55305 here, hoping to become TK-55305. Although we have a lot of TK’s in my garrison/squad, I’m the first one to try an R1 down here. I doubt I’ll be there first to finish, though. I can only work on my TK about 2-4 days a month, so this is a marathon, not a sprint for me. 

 

I ordered my R1TK from Jimmi about 3-4 months ago, and it arrived about 2 weeks ago - cheapest shipping option ftw!

 

37611695900_73b0c32964_b.jpg

 

I was way too happy when I saw this. Unreasonably happy. Like “I’m an adult, I should not be this happy over a costume kit” happy. Unfortunately, I couldn’t really go through it until today. 

 

37611748510_5af04463fb_b.jpg

 

Unfortunately, there was some damage to the codpiece and right thigh (and minor damage to the butt plate). 

 

37869137341_23470cb885_b.jpg

 

I’ve sent a message to Jimmi, but if I can’t get a replacement, I’m not sure how to fix it. I think I can fiberglass the inside, then use bondo to smooth over the crack, but if anyone has a better idea, please let me know. 

 

In in the meantime, I’ve plastidipped the inside of the helmet, put some primer on it, and used spot putty to fix the (very few) imperfections in the helmet. I also drilled out and filed down the area between the teeth, so I feel like I’ve made some good progress here. 

 

24016116148_e7d8ef964c_b.jpg

 

Next week I hope to paint the helmet. I’m thinking of buying some oil-based paint pens for the blue inside the vents and the black lines in the tears/traps. Am I overthinking this? Would a paint brush be just as good?  I have basically zero artistic ability, but I’m willing to keep trying until I get it right. 

 

Side note: I’ve decided to prime and (white) plastidip the insides of the armor rather than sanding the interior because I HATE sanding. Hopefully it works out. Fingers crossed. 

Edited by NotRookie
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi mate 

When my kit arrived i had a large crack in the top of the chest piece.  Jim sent me out a replacement straight away so Im sure he'll look after you, I know he's in the process of changing shipping companies though.

While I was waiting I decided to see if I could repair the damage though.  I started by using superglue in the crack to hold it together.  Then I used Araldite 2 part epoxy resin, smeared thinly on the front, more thickly on the back for reinforcement.  Once sanded down the result is quite smooth, I'll be interested to see how it comes out when I paint it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was able to put in a few hours on Sunday and managed to prime almost every piece (ran out of room on the tarp again :/ ). I also put on a few coats of gloss white on the helmet. Another light sanding and 1-2 more coats and I think it’ll be ready for painting the details. The “glue the crack Andre epoxy both sides” method seems to have worked. I’ll bring in my power sander next week since I maaaaaayyyyy have put way to much epoxy on the armor. 

 

I also managed to try on most of the pieces, and I think I’m going to have to do some trimming. Specifically, the shins seem a bit too long - I got the tall shins since I’m 6’0”, but that seems to have been a mistake. I’m not sure how to recreate the layered look for the cover strip edges, but I suppose I’ll burn that bridge when I get to it. 

 

It looks like I’m going to have to trim and re-glue the thighs to make them slimmer and shorter. I’m no expert, but I’m pretty sure I shouldn’t be able to fit my hand between my thigh and the thigh armor. 

 

Jimmi’s kit looks like it can only be assembled via the overlap method. Should I stick with E6000?  I’m unsure of whether there would be any benefit to it since it feels like the armor would tear if I tried to pry apart two pieces that were E6000’d together. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s been a while, but I’m back!  I’ve had to deal with some family issues and general laziness for a depressingly long time, but I’ve finally built up the energy to get back to this. I’ve spent a few days researching everything I’ve forgotten and all the new stuff you all have discovered since I’ve stopped working on my kit. I’m currently ordering some resin to strengthen up parts of the kit that others have noticed were weak, and have been making snaps by the dozen in preparation for a quick trial fitting to make sure I don’t have to retrim (and more importantly, repaint) any pieces. No pics today, unless you all REALLY want to see some snaps. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here you go. I picked up a soft plastic “For Sale” sign and cut it into squares. I made sure to put the colored portions on the side that will eventually get glued to the armor. The other side of the snaps will eventually be formed around my strapping system or whatever needs to be attached. 
 

I also took the opportunity to add a chinstrap to my Kylo bucket, since I’ve been meaning to do that for a while now. 
 

50065443441_7c70933438_b.jpg

 

50064906248_38e44ba83e_b.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...