Dyops TLJ FOTK Build (Jimmiroquai)

dyops

It has begun... well, opening the box at the very least. I got the whole set which includes the gaskets and soft pouches.

I already bought some accessories:

-Fans from Henry's Fans

-Gloves and Boots from Imperial Boots

-Neck seal and Undersuit (and spare gloves) from Stormtrooperundersuit

-Belt and White Pauldron from Imperial Gaskets (haven't finalized order yet, waiting for the pauldron to cure)

-Metal Holster from R2Dan (still waiting it to be shipped out)

-F-11D from Etsy (Have to modify it as it looks 3D printed)

-Nerf SE-44c which I will repaint and use to play with the kids

-Helmet Paddings from Amazon and I have some spare from my bike helmet

On my list:

-Heavy Artillery Vest from Anovos (what? May have to wait for ep. 9 to get it)

-Spare comm system? I might just use the one on my TD as it's all velcro mounted.

-F-11d hardware and decals (any suggestions?)

-Armour decals (Trooperbay)

-Black cloth for the cut out parts (decals are backup)

Anything else I'm missing aside from the snaps, straps, glue, sandpaper, ...patience??

24005837028_3550a9d00f_c.jpg

I only live in an apart with no room so this make take a while! Also I live in Vancouver where it rains 70% of the year!!

Edited by dyops

I think I'm about a week ahead of you with my build. Got my kit from Jim last week and at the priming and sanding stage. Scottish weather is about as good as yours so I have the same issues for painting.
Good luck with your build

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, dyops said:

Anything else I'm missing aside from the snaps, straps, glue, sandpaper, ...patience??

Some sort of filler for the surface imperfections, paint, and more sandpaper! :laugh1:

Great to see another Jim kit in the works :) 

Some sort of filler for the surface imperfections, paint, and more sandpaper! :laugh1:

Great to see another Jim kit in the works  

Change that to LOTS more sandpaper (800 grit wet/dry is my first go to then up to 1500)
I got a filler/primer spray paint for first coat and it was great for showing up imperfections as is is yellow and sticks in any cracks that you will have in the armour

I do have bondo filler. Have to get the spot putty... and more sand paper. BTW, what's the ideal start for sandpaper - general sanding (to take out the nasty fibers too) 1 person started with 220. Is 400 too fine?

Places with fillers for sure I'll start with a coarse grit -120 or 220.

11 hours ago, dyops said:

I do have bondo filler. Have to get the spot putty... and more sand paper. BTW, what's the ideal start for sandpaper - general sanding (to take out the nasty fibers too) 1 person started with 220. Is 400 too fine?

Places with fillers for sure I'll start with a coarse grit -120 or 220.

320-400 is fine for the first step of sanding the outside, might take a bit longer but better safe than sorry. I used 320. For the inside of the armor i'd recommend 120 then 220 grit :) 

Thanks! I haven't started yet because it's a bit overwhelming! :laugh1: And girlfriend gets more priority! :P I'll start by buying the sandpaper and spot putty!

Btw, I've seen your builds! Great job! :duim:

• Like 1

Still haven't started as I feel a bit sick and I've been working overtime at work. But I have some questions:

- Do you spray the inside of your armour? With what and what colour? I'm assuming black.

-I know it's an expensive product but what do you think of using Plasti Dip for the inside parts? For sure I will use it under my helmet like I did with my Sandtrooper one.

On 10/23/2017 at 4:19 PM, dyops said:

Thanks! I haven't started yet because it's a bit overwhelming! :laugh1: And girlfriend gets more priority! :P I'll start by buying the sandpaper and spot putty!

Btw, I've seen your builds! Great job! :duim:

Piece by piece! In the blink of an eye you'll be cursing spray cans instead of sandpaper! :laugh1:

2 hours ago, dyops said:

Still haven't started as I feel a bit sick and I've been working overtime at work. But I have some questions:

- Do you spray the inside of your armour? With what and what colour? I'm assuming black.

-I know it's an expensive product but what do you think of using Plasti Dip for the inside parts? For sure I will use it under my helmet like I did with my Sandtrooper one.

Been sick here as well, and in my first free weekend in a month.. I didn't spray the insides of my armor, I don't see the point really. No one's going to see it and it uses a lot of product, it can also compromise adhesion for snaps/straps etc. When bending my arms people can see the insides of the forearms, but I just lined that with some matte black gaffers tape.

Definitely plastidip/spray rubber the inside of the helmet! :)

Did an initial sanding and started cutting out the eyes and stripes from my helmet and pill boxes on the chest and biceps.

26254418169_20a1ef93c9_c.jpg

What else can be cut out to be covered by gaffer tape or fabric aside from the center chest piece?

Also, just curious if bubble lenses are more screen accurate than the lens that Jim provides. I'm deciding whether or not to buy bubble lenses or not.

BTW, I accidentally dropped my helmet and there were a few cracks at the back of the head. :( I managed to fix it with some bondo but it's still uneven. So I may just bondo the whole back side and try to smoothen it out.

Next step after cleaning up the holes is to start cutting up some of the pieces for resizing as they are a bit too big for me (biceps, forearms, thighs, calves, and abs... pretty much most of the pieces. :P) I'm 5'9" average build so the pieces are loose.

On 10/25/2017 at 9:43 AM, First0rder said:

Has anyone tried the PlasticDip version where you can Dip / Blush on?   Not the Rattle Can,  was going to test that out brushing it on so dont have to worry about masking and or taping. 

look into liquid latex. You can pick it up at most art supply stores.I used it on my shoretrooper for weathering and tried to use it for masking but it was difficult to clean up. 

What else can be cut out to be covered by gaffer tape or fabric aside from the center chest piece?

The only other pill holes that are usually cut are the ones at the bottom of the shin. You’ll only want to do that once you’ve confirmed how your shins fit with spat over boot.

Also, before you start cutting/sizing any of the major pieces like biceps, etc make sure you’ve tried everything on with undersuit and gaskets. The latter fills quite s lot of room in some pieces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

14 minutes ago, dyops said:

True! I forgot to mention the resizing of gaskets first! :lol: I may have those done professionally as I do not have a sewing machine handy.

Find a relative that has one and kidnap it for several weeks, that's what I did :D

• Like 1

I cheated and got mine from Teresa (geeky pink) and they were a perfect fit straight out the packaging. My next step is resizing the parts too so I'll be watching with interest how you get on

• 3 weeks later...
Can anyone tell me the height of the end cap of the TLJ Thermo Detonator? In other words, how much do I cut off from the spray paint cover?

I’ve made mine 33mm. Feels/looks right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

I sand everything by hand. You don't have to sand much initially as the armour is pretty smooth. The most I'll use is a block so the sanding is pretty even.

Also I don't really trust power sanders because you don't want to accidentally sand more than needed. On my armour at the least, some parts are thinner than others. They are not even all around.

And a brief update (pictures to come), I had my cloth gaskets resized and started trimming the shin parts (which broke my lexan scissors). I have to buy another "industrial/model" scissors to start cutting the biceps, forearms and thighs. Any recommendations for scissors aside from the lexan?

Not much photos and not much progress. I was surprised to see some people who started a week or 2 earlier than me finish their builds already. Wow! I was busy this past few weeks and cold, rainy weather doesn't help!

I finally bought elastics and webbing so I can start making snaps. I finally got my gaskets resized but the tailor did a poor job as he or she didn't really cut out the excess material but just folded them in. So they are still bulky. But at the least it gave me the opportunity to do the dreaded thing... cut up the pieces so they fit better.

38455139816_1edb21d1f5_c.jpg

38455139636_3f4d85581c_c.jpg

Sorry I don't have more pics than that. I am going to do the overlap on my biceps and thighs. But I have a question to those that did it. Did you glue them on or use velcro? I know to use velcro for the shins but the thighs and biceps too?

If you noticed the thigh, I outlined where I am going to cut to make them a bit more screen accurate. It will also help a bit with mobility.

How are the biceps attached? Velcro also and to the gaskets?

Hopefully I will have more progress this weekend and the coming weeks as I really want to get this done for the premiere! Roughly 4 more weeks!