ShadyP's FOTK built thread (Backstage Props - preorder FOTK)

ShadyP

I'm thinking that EVA foam, not sintra (my mistake), coated in epoxy or fiberglass resin would survive the rough and tumble land of trooping.   The photo Tony posted looks like the return is about 1/2 inch.. is there a specific length I need to strive for?   

Width varies at different sections of the arc. Range of ~10mm to ~16mm. Someone with their kit accessible will be able to be more specific. Here are a few screen used kits...

e1c8aaed6cccb5c61e08c4a911d09c33.jpg

23d00c9b60df2eba3cf29f1cca70f1f2.jpg

95e628e306a8e3a0867088b8b73ed97f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, ShadyP said:

thanks Tony.  I'll have to figure out how to add one back.  I certainly have a ton of scrap ABS to work with.  

I think I have your metal shoulder tabs in my pile of supplies.  Is that tab in the photo the same way yours are attached?

You can try and add it back on with plastic welder or similar, worst case scenario you buy another yoke. There is no requirement for return edge thickness in that area. 

Metal shoulder tabs were designed from the movie suits so yes that's how they will look when installed correctly. My build thread has more info on that when you get to the installation part. You can also hit me up with any questions.  

Keep up the great work :duim:

• Like 1

well, at least the TK shown getting killed in the RoS trailer has a very minimal return edge on the yoke.   
image.png.e5b48522cc7d085acc3ad85615e99446.png

I've decided that I'm going to assemble the yoke/back as is and then sort out what to do about the return.  No sense in adding it back to 2 pieces separately.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RBT88 said:

Thanks for the informations. BSP will fix the inner chest armor mould to make the R-corner. More info will update on FB BSP  page. 

Not just the inner chest but the back needs it around the arms too Roberto.  

• Like 1

Halloween time is incredibly busy at my house so I haven’t had as much time as I hoped to worked on this kit after getting home from Pittsburgh last week. Oh well.

I finished trimming everything except the upper back ridge, TD halves, and belt/AB boxes. I’ll trim those when it’s time to build them.

I had an oh shucks moment after trimming the shoulder bell lip. There was an odd trapezoid shape in the trim line, I cut it. I definitely should not have. Oh well, I can trace these parts on any of the large scraps I have left and make new ones. Could be worse, could be the yoke return edge.

03047b61a26c899b6d85048c3514b227.jpga16c868c7a264349b21a0e4d23683419.jpg

I had hoped to turn the 8 forearm pieces into 4 today but I couldn’t locate half of my clamps and magnets. They’re here somewhere. I glued this half of the forearms and will have to give the E6000 24 hours or so to cure before I join the halves.

bb28d77a67cacb203803b468fa1acff8.jpg

I’m an likely going to need to order more magnets or gluing all of this is going to take months. Not to mention the bondo work I’ve got coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I don't see this return edge in the shoulder lip on any of the CRL shoulder images.  I'm not convinced it needs to exist.  

I'm honestly surprised that this part isn't included on the shoulder bell in the mold.  There's not a whole lot of sense in adding this one as the seam would look much better if it was included on the mold.   It is what it is and I'll be corrected my mistake tonight either by reattaching the trapezoid with ABS paste or just cutting out a new one.  
image.png.fc6f74b75c6d7f18cc10a5532395275e.png

File:TFA TK shoulder gasket.png

File:TFA TK shoulder bells.png

• Like 1

@JAFO or @ukswrath - do either of you know a good source for the assorted decals we're going to need?  I just ordered 3 sets of Tony's black mesh and gaffers tape.  Looking for the other black decals we need. 

Edited by ShadyP

[mention=27002]JAFO[/mention] or [mention=21566]ukswrath[/mention] - do either of you know a good source for the assorted decals we're going to need?

Trooperbay created a decal set specifically for Jim’s kit. There’s a slim chance it could work for the BSP kit.

https://trooperbay.com/tfa-first-order-stormtrooper-armor-decal-set

If you want to PM me measurements of all pill holes, etc I would be happy to do a size check.

Pinstriping Vinyl Tape May also be your friend moving forward but let’s take one step at a time.

Just now, JAFO said:

Trooperbay created a decal set specifically for Jim’s kit. There’s a slim chance it could work for the BSP kit.

https://trooperbay.com/tfa-first-order-stormtrooper-armor-decal-set

If you want to PM me measurements of all pill holes, etc I would be happy to do a size check.

Pinstriping Vinyl Tape May also be your friend moving forward but let’s take one step at a time.

I'll measure the decals spaces that aren't cut out for the black mesh.  The chest pill holes and bicep, lower wrist ovals are cutout aren't they?   I've been under the impression that the Chest "V", ab boxes, forearm boxes and the rest are decals.  

I'll measure the decals spaces that aren't cut out for the black mesh.  The chest pill holes and bicep, lower wrist ovals are cutout aren't they?   I've been under the impression that the Chest "V", ab boxes, forearm boxes and the rest are decals.  

If you want to be screen accurate only the chest pills are cut-out. These are backed with a piece of Airtex that has a layer of black material sewn over it.

Some have used automotive decal sheet and cut to size as needed, once you work out sizes you can reverse print on the backing of the decal sheet then cut around, most decal sheets will fit in a standard printer. You could also try to find someone local with a decal cutter, we are lucky to have someone in the garrison which makes life a little easier for custom decals ;) 

Thanks. I’ll look into those ideas when the time comes.

I’m back to forearms tonight and I found the rest of my magnets. These forearms are incredibly wide as is. I’m going to need to trim the sides down.

d24052c539ef0730c9a4e90909cc6edd.jpg

The clearest edge I see to trim is the straight edge that won’t be seamless. The clip side is my concern. How much space between the edge and the recessed spaces for clips is necessary? In these photos, the purple line is where I’m inclined to trim, the green line the point of concern.
d0679a206fade31b15f0a58fadf4df23.plist
531aabaee6afcf179b67aec2a97c29c2.plist

At the end of the day it's entirely up to your GML as they will be the one ultimately approving the costume.

I would have a look with gaskets on as well, can make a big difference, I do have some room in mine and I added some foam in a few places to fill the gaps, gaskets fill the excess areas ;) The don't need to be snug on your arms.

Clips are pretty close the top plate

d0xemcQ.png

• Like 1

Ok, got out my gaskets and checked the sizing of the forearms. I need to keep reminding myself that these parts will fit differently than my current TK. These forearms aren’t nearly as enormous once the gaskets were in place.
0deeb78b4599c3646e2a7a55134b620a.jpg
43c4cc1079c2ef0f0fc8558140bff78a.jpg
eceafc372205c84ff7dad1cb51bef97c.jpg

I glued 1 of the remaining edges on both forearms. I also glued one of the seams on the biceps. Tomorrow night, I’ll close up the arms.
7d5e1a6782f26c5bdfff063a30e8c2e1.jpg
f583d139ac63848284c05a4ea14d61d1.jpg
62b9192c347aaa8dec45749ab2ec1f91.jpg

I had never actually unpacked the gaskets. Figured I’d put the shoulders on and see what the fit was like with the hot suit and tactical vest. The thighs and abs will be supported off the vest. I’m copying the support system used by one of our GML’s. I need to tighten up the top strap on the gaskets.

35f54645721cb5b6c7b82d2ca2d18db3.jpgf7b0e9464dec07b8da3ca3770d133073.jpg

If only we had zippers inside our forearms like the screen used kits! Life would be a lot easier.

Pretty sure your gaskets need to be flipped - the double strap goes to the front.

• Like 2

If only we had zippers inside our forearms like the screen used kits! Life would be a lot easier.

Pretty sure your gaskets need to be flipped - the double strap goes to the front.

Noted. Thanks.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ShadyP said:

@JAFO or @ukswrath - do either of you know a good source for the assorted decals we're going to need?  I just ordered 3 sets of Tony's black mesh and gaffers tape.  Looking for the other black decals we need. 

The mesh and gaffers will cover chest pill holes, the arms and shins, vinyl sheet and cut the rest. Unless the armor supplier provides you with exact decals matching your armor anything you buy from other 3rd parties may not be exact.

8 hours ago, JAFO said:

Really? photo please

Edited by ukswrath

not a ton of progress in the last few days.  And I don't have any photo's at the moment so show of what little I did get accomplished.  

I've finished gluing the biceps and I'm rather surprised at how well they fit.  I didn't make any sizing adjustments to the BSP trim lines, they just fit.  Yay.

I've finished gluing the forearms.  They fit just fine with the gaskets at the elbow, but they are very wide at the wrist and it feels awkward.  I've seen posts/threads/comments about adding some foam inside to make them sit properly on my arm, but I still question whether or not I should rip these apart (used E6000) and trim the sides a little to tighten up the hand side of the forearm.   I'll get a photo showing the width at my wrist the next time I sit down to work on this.

Next I plan to tackle the legs.  My question for folks is whether or not I should add the holster and other parts to the halves before gluing the shells together.  I'm leaning toward assembling the part and then adding detail bits but I'm not sure if that's the most effective angle.  

Our Riot Shields arrived from Backstage Props.  They were supposed to be included in the original shipment as an added bonus for all the preorders.  BSP shipped them out with the replacement ab boxes that were originally shipped with a corner cut off.  

• Like 2