ShadyP's FOTK built thread (Backstage Props - preorder FOTK)

ShadyP

57 minutes ago, Ilnino said:

Yeah i read that this morning. Did BSB get back to you via message? They replied to me. My mates looking at going down the Diversity props route. They are doing fibreglass and abs.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

One of my squad mates reached out to BSP this morning for details and either hasn't gotten info yet or hasn't had the chance to share it with the rest of our build group.  I sent a message to Diversity props and he promptly asked me to give him a little bit of time before he could send me all the details.  

It seems like all established FOTK vendors are going to be hammered this week with the fallout from KB.  According to Hal @the Sandbox, Kevin was behind 40+ kits of assorted trooper armor.  It's a shame and a sad situation for such a trusted/established vendor to have gotten into.   BUT, I guess it was predictable after his posts last week about recasting black series TK helmets making them Solo trooper variants.  It's better for him to cut and run than get sued by the mouse/hasbro.

Good lord that sucks; I was all happy this morning when I got update from MIMIC that he finished ALL the molds. Has been a hell of a waiting game but glad I stuck it out.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. I have 3 troopers locally with PETG kits and they have a ton of bad pulls that are being reworked in bondo and a bunch of parts that are missing. I'm doing what I can to track down suitable replacement parts to make the kits they have complete. Just a shucksty day for everyone my heart is broken for everyone.

1 minute ago, heartstopper85 said:

Good lord that sucks; I was all happy this morning when I got update from MIMIC that he finished ALL the molds. Has been a hell of a waiting game but glad I stuck it out.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. I have 3 troopers locally with PETG kits and they have a ton of bad pulls that are being reworked in bondo and a bunch of parts that are missing. I'm doing what I can to track down suitable replacement parts to make the kits they have complete. Just a shucksty day for everyone my heart is broken for everyone.

I've been following your stuggles with those incomplete kits on facebook.  The whole situation stinks.  BUT I'm glad Mimic is rounding the corner on finishing those kits.  In hindsite, I should have been more patient with him.  In fact, I may peek in on that thread now...

I've been following your stuggles with those incomplete kits on facebook.  The whole situation stinks.  BUT I'm glad Mimic is rounding the corner on finishing those kits.  In hindsite, I should have been more patient with him.  In fact, I may peek in on that thread now...

He has one spot open again lol.

He has help and is almost done. Has really responded well to feedback. And I do love what I received so far

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, heartstopper85 said:

He has one spot open again lol.

He has help and is almost done. Has really responded well to feedback. And I do love what I received so far

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

There's no chance Mimic would sell to me at this point.  I shouldn't laugh, but couldn't help it while typing that.  Besides, there were 5 in our VT group build and we are down to 3.  I can't leave the other two hanging, our goal is to build together and match.   I'm thinking the whole fact that I'm still shopping for a kit is just Karma coming around to get me.   I sent Mimic a PM, hopefully he has a good laugh at my expense. 

On 10/17/2017 at 6:28 AM, ShadyP said:

Now that Mimic is planning to ship out our armor in two batches, I thought its time for me to post up my build thread.  Mimic states that he's going to ship the kits in 2 batches, the first to dispatch is the back, butt, abs, chest, yoke and cod.  The limbs and helmet will come later on.  So far, this is where I am with my needed gear: 

Gaskets - Geeky Pink Gaskets  -got them

Gloves - Imperial Boots -got them

Boots - Imperial Boots -got them

Neck Seal - using my current ANH TK neck seal

Belt - Jafo - got it

Cloth Pouches - trooperbay - got them

Undersuit - StormtrooperUndersuit.com -got it

Blaster Rifle 3D printed kit of the F11D about 75% sanded

Pistol3D printed SE44c hasn't been started aside from printing it - waiting in a box for me to sand it

Helmet - Anovos TFA 

Helmet Electronics - Ukswrath's amp/speakers, home made USB fan rig -I've got them, but haven't installed them yet

Armor - ???

Harness - condor tactical vest

Am I missing anything?  After getting the undersuit and trying it on, I'm pumped to get this armor completed.  The undersuit is already more comfortable than what I wear with my current TK.  With 4 other people here in Vermont on this Mimic order, we're going to look amazing. 

**EDIT**
after pulling the plug on Mimic's run, I've now ordered a TFA kit from KB Props.  I opted for TFA vs TLJ primarily because I already have the helmet.  There are now 3 of us in VT instead of 5 building together.  KB told us 4-5 weeks.  The hype has returned.

**EDIT (again)**
KB Props has declared that he's closing and has advised all unfullfilled orders to seek refunds from Paypal.  

Apparently KB is up and running soon. 7 months I have been waiting. Wondering how long now. 

13 hours ago, Justin96039 said:

Apparently KB is up and running soon. 7 months I have been waiting. Wondering how long now. 

yeah, I saw that update.  I've been reading/following the whole dramatic soap opera between KB and the Sandbox and I'm not interested in keeping my business with either of them.  I hope KB gets back up and running and restores the reputation he once had but I am afraid that is going to take some time.

If Backstage Props would reply to my messaging, I think my build group is getting in on their preorder

I just heard from BSP and my build group is transitioning to their FOTK pre-order with estimated shipping dates in June.  Once my paypal claim from KB is settled, we'll route all the money to BSP in Taiwan.

• Like 3

• ShadyP changed the title to ShadyP's FOTK built thread (Backstage Props - preorder FOTK)

I just had an extended conversation with Carlos Estrella in Mexico City about the FOTK armor he makes.  Does anyone have this kit and would you be willing to share some thoughts on it?

Carlos makes it with 2mm styrene and either ships as a kit, as ready to wear armor, or as a full setup with boots/gloves/belt/helmet.  His prices are lower than anyone else I've talked to but I don't want to jump on a subpar or possibly recast kit just because it costs less.    

After looking at mutiple photo's of Carlos' armor and conferring with a group of FISD admin/leaders/guru's it appears that Carlo's armor is an Anovos recast.  I hope he can share some information/evidence to the contrary but that is what the images provided point to.  

That said, my Vermont group is now on the Backstage Props FOTK preorder.  They say they are pulling them in June, but I believe noone when it comes to timelines anymore.  I'll get it when I get it.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2018 at 6:52 PM, ShadyP said:

After looking at mutiple photo's of Carlos' armor and conferring with a group of FISD admin/leaders/guru's it appears that Carlo's armor is an Anovos recast.  I hope he can share some information/evidence to the contrary but that is what the images provided point to.  

That said, my Vermont group is now on the Backstage Props FOTK preorder.  They say they are pulling them in June, but I believe noone when it comes to timelines anymore.  I'll get it when I get it.

Aw man, if that's true it'd be a bummer. Planned on buying a few parts from him, they looked real good!

Dang man. Looks like you are having fun trying to get FOTK Armor. MIMIC has finally shipped my first half of the armor. Maybe I will get the second batch by the end of the year.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 5/25/2018 at 2:07 PM, CrookKnight said:

Dang man. Looks like you are having fun trying to get FOTK Armor. MIMIC has finally shipped my first half of the armor. Maybe I will get the second batch by the end of the year.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indeed Shawn, I've had a 'fun' experience getting this armor.  Everything I've seen from Mimic these last couple weeks is flawless.  As I stated previously, I should have kept my damn mouth shut and stayed on that run.  I had a friendly discussion with Mimic recently and at least mended that burned bridge.  I'm hopeful for BSP to stick to their stated 'all preorders will ship in June' declaration.   BUT I'll be happy to just have this kit completed before Celebration Chicago.  

Well, after a few years of waiting and looking at the other parts starting to collect dust in my closet BSP appears ready to ship these out.  They sent me this photo late last night of the kit.  It looks, well, difficult.  It also appears to have a metal holster clip included which may make the one I already have able to be sold to someone else.  We shall see.  What I don't see in this image is the riot shield they said all preorders were shipping with.  I'm not terribly bothered by that, but I'll ask them about it.  

Hopefully this kit can be altered to use for a TLJ build.  I think all that needs to be adjusted is the cod.  I'll greatly appreciate anyone with info about that. 

-------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working
  • Like 1

On 9/19/2019 at 8:57 PM, ShadyP said:
Well, after a few years of waiting and looking at the other parts starting to collect dust in my closet BSP appears ready to ship these out.  They sent me this photo late last night of the kit.  It looks, well, difficult.  It also appears to have a metal holster clip included which may make the one I already have able to be sold to someone else.  We shall see.  What I don't see in this image is the riot shield they said all preorders were shipping with.  I'm not terribly bothered by that, but I'll ask them about it.  

Hopefully this kit can be altered to use for a TLJ build.  I think all that needs to be adjusted is the cod.  I'll greatly appreciate anyone with info about that. -------------

They have taken their time in production but they have listened to feedback. They had a big issue with their chest detailing but took the time to correct it after I commented.

I’m looking forward to seeing this kit made.

In regard to the cod, you can always discuss with you GML. Three different codes were sighted in TLJ, including the TFA. If people are getting their TLJ trooper passed with TFA TD end caps - which they are - you may be able to challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

12 hours ago, ShadyP said:

Hopefully this kit can be altered to use for a TLJ build.  I think all that needs to be adjusted is the cod.  I'll greatly appreciate anyone with info about that. 

Sweet! can't wait for another build thread. As Darren mentioned just a few mods and you should be golden. The big change is the helmet

Edited by ukswrath

19 hours ago, JAFO said:

In regard to the cod, you can always discuss with you GML. Three different codes were sighted in TLJ, including the TFA. If people are getting their TLJ trooper passed with TFA TD end caps - which they are - you may be able to challenge.

Kevin Snow is our GML and we've been chatting about this for about as long as I've had it on pre-order.  We're going to see what the shape of the cod is once cut out and make a decision from there.  If I need to get a new one from KB, worse things have happened.   The fact that this kit might actually be shipping his weekend is a miracle all of itself.  

• Like 1

Kevin Snow is our GML and we've been chatting about this for about as long as I've had it on pre-order.  We're going to see what the shape of the cod is once cut out and make a decision from there.  If I need to get a new one from KB, worse things have happened.   The fact that this kit might actually be shipping his weekend is a miracle all of itself.  

Actually, unless you’re looking to go for Lvl2 the cod shouldn’t be an issue. TLJ is only required for higher approval. It’s really the TD end cap that is open for question but the UKG set a precedent by approving troopers with the TFA style.

Nice helmet! I got mine from the same supplier. I love that you can actually see out of these lenses compared to the TFA version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

These lenses are a bit foggier than my TFA was but I don't mind.  I'm mostly amped about my glasses actually fitting in a helmet!  I've been a mostly blind TK for a couple years now. 

I'm hoping to get this kit to lvl2.  I haven't finished those updates to my ANH yet and figure it's easier to do while constructing than it is after the fact. 

upon inspecting the TFA and TLJ crl's,  the image for the cod is the exact same image.  I checked the URLs for both, and it points to the same file.   So with that in mind, according to the CRL, this cod will be fine :) 

• Like 1