A Great White R1TK Build (Jimmi)

Big Deal

I also forgot to post pics of how I close the ab / kidney armour (or, as I've come to call it:  the girdle).

I have 2 elastic strips with velcro on either end which can hold it together while having enough stretch to allow me to put it on back to front and then shuffle it round my body until the front is at the front.

g5dc5LF.jpg

I then have a small piece of elastic to line it up correctly.  Lastly I bought 2 pairs of rare earth magnets attaching one inside the armour and the other inside the back plate.  This hold the back plate on and also holds the grirdle together nicely.  It's also a lot easier than velcro, I could almost just throw the back plate over my shoulder and it'll snap into exactly the right place.

um0krfV.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I haven't made too much progress. A little experimenting with painting and prep work.

I finally got around to a test fit (mostly everything).

SsEgIAn.jpg?1

I was hoping to not cut the thighs, but they are just too loose. I haven't added any supports for them yet as I knew I'd have to at least take more of the tops.

yID98nu.jpg?1

I now have trimmed more off the top as well as removed the back cover strip to narrow them. As I walked around in them it felt like I could really narrow the tops, but if I bend my legs too much, they get snug at my lower thigh. I wondered about fastening them with elastic strapping at the low back of the thigh and then using velcro to attach the cover strip. Maybe glue it completely on one side ,but allow for a little give by only attaching it at the top . I guess I won't need to bend my legs to 90 degrees too often.

Doing great Dave. I would advise against using vercro on the connecting joints for a couple reasons, first and most importantly it's not accurate and your approving GML may not approve you if noticed. 2nd if something happens to the velcro white you're trooping you won't be very happy.

If you would like to increase movement trim the lower lip. Here's a reference photo.

gallery_14191_18_467011b.jpg

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Big Deal said:

I’m a little confused as to how the drop boxes should be attached and where. The control mentions black Velcro and that they’re aligned to  the tabs. But should they attach to the back of the belt or the front under the above ammo pouch?

Without screen shots of the belt's interior I'm guessing the drop box is held to the waist belt itself, using either a wide strip of nylon webbing or elastic. The following screen shot shows a drop box flipped over with the connecting material exposed.  Hope this helps

forearm.JPG.254f63e0386052ac854adb4f346edb39.JPG

I'm more worried about where they attach to the belt. I wasn't sure if the strap should go from the drop box up to the front of the belt and maybe be covered by one of the ammo pouches, or if it is just attached to the back of the belt. For now I'm just going to attach them to the back side of the belt and if I have to move them or adjust the height, it's not a big deal.

1 hour ago, Big Deal said:

I'm more worried about where they attach to the belt. I wasn't sure if the strap should go from the drop box up to the front of the belt and maybe be covered by one of the ammo pouches, or if it is just attached to the back of the belt. For now I'm just going to attach them to the back side of the belt and if I have to move them or adjust the height, it's not a big deal.

Wish I could give you better advice, problem is I have yet to see any screen or prop photos with detailed belt connections. 

• Like 1

Dave, I used soft Velcro on the back side of the drop boxes and on the inside of the belt opposite the square outer boxes. Then I used a piece of 1” wide hard Velcro to attach the box to the belt. Since I used Velcro, I can raise them, lower them, or remove them. This looks to me to be the most screen accurate and functional.

rRIsSN4.jpg

KQNROvv.jpg

I should note that I have observed considerable scratches and worn paint on the top of my thigh armor due to the drop boxes. I have now added white craft foam to the inside of my drop boxes but I have not trooped with this modification so I do not know how effective it will be.

lMHUACt.jpg

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, 11b30b4 said:

Dave, I used soft Velcro on the back side of the drop boxes and on the inside of the belt opposite the square outer boxes. Then I used a piece of 1” wide hard Velcro to attach the box to the belt. Since I used Velcro, I can raise them, lower them, or remove them. This looks to me to be the most screen accurate and functional.

rRIsSN4.jpg

KQNROvv.jpg

That's pretty much the direction I was going, I was just worried that they attached to the belt a certain way and I was missing the info.

Thanks!

Couple of questions. I'm slowly getting everything together. I'll probably be touching up painting details for a long time, but anyways.

Right now the back half of the belt edges are right up against the final "ammo pouches" on the front of the belt. Can I shorten the back half of the belt? If I do should it meet right about where my hip bones are? I'm thinking the middle , but I wasn't sure.

5ouv2Zw.jpg

no3zEZ1.jpg

Edited by Big Deal

On another note while looking for photos to answer your question I found a clean shot of the drop box to belt attachment. It appears the connecting material may indeed reside under the waist belt box, not behind the belt itself as previously thought. 

1021038306_R1TKbeltleft.JPG.1bd8d9baaee28fd908fa5e886a50dd0e.JPG

I'm ready to attach the thigh ammo pack and the shin's sniper knee plate. It's hard to tell exactly how they are supposed to align. I found this image but it seems a little haphazzard.

J4g9MtU.jpg

I was looking at the ammo pack being more aligned with the edged of the thigh armor and the sniper plate lining up to look more like an extension of the shin's trim.