THE LAST JEDI TICKET LAUNCH EVENT

JAFO

Members of The Southern Cross Garrison - 501st Legion, Rebel Legion Tython Base and the Sandhawke Clan of the Mandalorian Mercenaries - were invited by Disney to participate in an unforgettable event to celebrate the launch of ticket sales for THE LAST JEDI. As such, it was the only global event of its kind.

The backdrop to the event was Sydney Harbour which overlooks the infamous the Sydney Opera House and Sydney Harbour Bridge. 

The event was incredibly secretive with only limited social media used to tease Star Wars fans to attend. The statement simply read: 

Sydney Fans: 
-Tuesday October 10, 8pm sharp
-Farm Cove on Sydney harbour, just north of the Fleet Steps
You will NOT want to miss this.

Despite the secrecy, a crowd of over 100 eager onlookers converged before sunset and mingled with the 30+ costumed members of the Garrison that were in attendance.

As 8pm struck, the unmistakable sound of a low flying helicopter could be heard and as it appeared over our heads the beam of its searchlight cut the dark night sky.  

The helicopter fixed its location and hovered above a barge that was situated in the harbour. We watched as a cable was slowly lowered. Moments later the helicopter started to rise and as it did a super-sized replica of Kylo Ren's lightsaber hilt was hoisted into the sky. 

But it wasn’t just a hilt! Minutes later the lightsaber ‘blade’ ignited and the lightsaber stood a majestic 60m tall! Understandably, the crown went nuts.

As the illuminated lightsaber moved its way around the harbour, Disney instructed the gathered fans to hold-up their smartphones and wave them quickly side-to-side. The result? It turns out the red lights utilised for the lightsaber blade used a special technology whereby a hidden message was revealed - in this case the release details and preferred venue in Australia to go and see the movie.

After an hour, the helicopter finally descended and returned the hilt to the barge. The crowd - which had continued to grow - were keen to stay around and take lots of pics with the characters and the Garrison members were all too happy to oblige.

It was truly special event and one we were all incredibly proud to be a part of.

The footage that was captured by Disney spread around the world within a matter of hours. You’ll find the link to the video below and a few extra pics from the event.

22310194_1909158245780485_1499767524622019962_n

22281791_10155731140088610_7647677228765524886_n

22308620_1909142529115390_8006952832432058988_n

unqualified

DISNEY-SW-3

22339078_10155617948901287_1229565082391906892_o

Edited by JAFO
  • Like 2

This event was amazing to be a part of...

I am the lone Shoretrooper in the pic and had an absolute time trooping with my brethren of the SCG..

Was awesome to see so many people show up to an event with no real foresight. I had a bunch of mates message me tagging me assuming I was there!!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...