First step into a larger world. About to begin a KB Props bucket build: FOJ

Stratt

Hello! I've been with the Legion 16 months now, first as an IN then as a TI for the past year. This is only my fourth post in FISD, but my first as someone seriously about to begin on a TK build. I'm apprehensive, to say the least, and just trying to pace myself with the research as it's like trying to drink from a firehose navigating through all the info here.

I've built a Walt's Trooper Factory Navy Trooper bucket, as well as his TIE Pilot setup. This feels like it's on a whole other level.

Waiting on FOTK armor from Kevin at the moment, but in the meantime he's sent me one of his new Judicial kits to work on. Any immediate suggestions, comments, tips before I begin -- very much appreciated! -Mark

KBFOTKbucket.jpg

• Like 1

Welcome to the First Order! The FOJE is proving to be a popular build.

I haven’t worked with the kit from KB Props so others will be better qualified to advise.

All I’ll say is have fun and I’m looking forward to the build

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hello and welcome aboard lots of interest iof late n the TLJ Executioners. A similar build to TFA's so have a look through some of those builds.

Good luck with the progress.

Slowly start to cut the lenses out with a dremmel. I drill a bunch of holes than play connect the dots with the dremmel. I can't stress to go slow enough

There are some lenses listed in resources I think

Looks like it's not finished so you'll have to sand prime and paint, which I'm assuming you have a bucket done so same process. Just take your time, let the coats dry fully

If you need pads you can find them on Amazon, I forgot what I searched for, but I didn't like them

I used an old hardhat and cut the bracket out and glued it in

Again just take your time and use the ref pictures, not sure if anyone has figured out the size for the black stripe but you can judge fairly well using the ref materials

I'd personally get your white layer down than go with the black

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I did the connect-the-drill holes with a dremel to cut most of the lens port away. The lens material KB sent looks to be sized and shaped perfectly..but it's really thick. I have a heat gun but before I mess with it, how should I approach getting that thing shaped/ curved to where it will set correctly in place? 

Also, what works best for keeping that lens in place...screws? E6000? Velcro?

Be patient with you lenses. I heat a little bit bend small amounts than repeat.

I had an idea, that is untested, to make the basic shape out of wood or something than get it hot and pull it over that shape. Like a make shift vacform. I've seen some stuff to make a diy vacform thing as well, but again untested so I wouldn't give much to my crazy ideas

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/10/2017 at 4:31 AM, heartstopper85 said:

Be patient with you lenses. I heat a little bit bend small amounts than repeat.

I had an idea, that is untested, to make the basic shape out of wood or something than get it hot and pull it over that shape. Like a make shift vacform. I've seen some stuff to make a diy vacform thing as well, but again untested so I wouldn't give much to my crazy ideas

If its a simple shape you can do exactly this with a kitchen oven. Be careful of fumes and make sure not to burn your house down, of course.

• 3 weeks later...

Due to life being the pain it can be - I don't get to see "The Last Jedi" til I troop on Sunday. SO before I go internet dark to try and avoid as many spoilers as I can, I thought I'd have a little fun showing off the progress I've made so far. Yes, I'm sitting, and no I haven't built any part of my armor below the chest plate yet! Merry Star Wars Eve, everyone!

IMG_1856.JPG

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Haven't made an update in a long time; I did a Snowtrooper build in the months since. 

Here is where I am now:

103_3533

My spats have a tendency to ride up a bit, but then cover the black pill decals on my shins. I may trim the kneecaps a bit; I foresee them constantly catching and then popping off as they're held onto the gasket by velcro.

Thanks! Just so happens yesterday (June 13) was my 2-year 501st Legion Anniversary. I joined with an Imperial Crewman approval then, and I got word of my TK qualification last night via email from my GML !!