Chest and back piece assembly

Mikeyt

This is normally done with snaps and black elastic or nylon strapping.  Some use Velcro, but I don't recommend that for frequent trooping.  You should check out some of the Centurion submission threads here for ideas and photos:  https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/72-request-centurion-status/

Here is a diagram of a strapping system using the "double snap" system which works great:

R63O0di.jpg

• Like 4

Also if you are asking why double snaps? it's in case one comes off, on occasion they can either come apart or pull through the elastic so having an extra snap there can save you at an event ;) 

Good luck, hope to see a build thread soon.

2 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Also if you are asking why double snaps? it's in case one comes off, on occasion they can either come apart or pull through the elastic so having an extra snap there can save you at an event ;) 

I learned the hard way about the "double snap" system.  During my very first troop, my shoulder bells became unattached, as did my ab/kidney connections.  A fellow Trooper showed me how he dealt with this.  I literally removed all the single snap connections and replaced them with 2 snaps, and haven't had a problem since, even carrying a HWT pack.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mikeyt said:

Do you just glue in the snaps or rivet them in?

You can either attach snaps to pieces of scrap abs/plastic, the other option is to attach snaps to canvas strapping. Both ways get glued on to the armor with E6000 glue, we use the E6000 as it can be easily removed if you need to change out a defective snap.

Some good threads to read are in the Tips and How TOO sections here

Great picture Joseph!

On October 2, 2017 at 6:12 PM, justjoseph63 said:

This is normally done with snaps and black elastic or nylon strapping.  Some use Velcro, but I don't recommend that for frequent trooping.  You should check out some of the Centurion submission threads here for ideas and photos:  https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/72-request-centurion-status/

Here is a diagram of a strapping system using the "double snap" system which works great:

R63O0di.jpg

Hi

I was curious what they meant  by line 24 snaps and line 20 snaps?  Is that a size or type?

Line 24 refers to the type/size.  The prices can run from $10.00 for a pack of 10 and up.  The best bet is to order them in large quantities, that way they are MUCH less expensive and you can sell or give away the rest.  This is where I got mine:   http://www.ebay.com/itm/Line-24-Nickel-Snaps-100-Pack-1263-12-by-Stecksstore-/192146760047?hash=item2cbcd6e16f:m:m0ONS0mlkNZBfCFZ2fRX5sg

I started out with a single snap method (to save on money), but after one test fitting I noticed that I had a few snaps that ALWAYS came undone!  So after being shown the same image you've been shown, I went with double snaps on all connector pieces, except for the cod/posterior connector piece (as well as the arms).  Since upgrading the snaps to double snaps I have not noticed any coming undone.  Of course I have only done about a few test troops which equals a few hours combined, but this'll be put to the test soon as I'm about ready to submit my approval photos.  

6 minutes ago, justjoseph63 said:

Line 24 refers to the type/size.  The prices can run from $10.00 for a pack of 10 and up.  The best bet is to order them in large quantities, that way they are MUCH less expensive and you can sell or give away the rest.  This is where I got mine:   http://www.ebay.com/itm/Line-24-Nickel-Snaps-100-Pack-1263-12-by-Stecksstore-/192146760047?hash=item2cbcd6e16f:m:m0ONS0mlkNZBfCFZ2fRX5sg

I wish I was given/shown this.... I spent a WHOLE LOT MORE buying close to 12 packs at my local hobby shop.... good to know for the future, thank you, Joseph! :)

1 hour ago, Btabc said:

I started out with a single snap method (to save on money), but after one test fitting I noticed that I had a few snaps that ALWAYS came undone!  So after being shown the same image you've been shown, I went with double snaps on all connector pieces, except for the cod/posterior connector piece (as well as the arms).  Since upgrading the snaps to double snaps I have not noticed any coming undone.  Of course I have only done about a few test troops which equals a few hours combined, but this'll be put to the test soon as I'm about ready to submit my approval photos.  

I wish I was given/shown this.... I spent a WHOLE LOT MORE buying close to 12 packs at my local hobby shop.... good to know for the future, thank you, Joseph! :)

When I built my first kit I made the mistake of "cheaping out" on snaps by purchasing them from Wal Mart.  Big mistake.  (They come undone if you sneeze, lol). I ended up having to remove and replace every single one with quality snaps and using 2 in the areas shown in the diagram.  It costs more to do, but well worth every cent.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 2/14/2018 at 10:30 AM, MAXXTRAX77 said:

Alright. So I bought some 1” and 2” nylon webbing. Do everything with webbing or join them with elastic? 

I made snap "plates" with a square of webbing I poked/burned a hole through (for the snap to sit), then glued those onto the armor. Then, set snaps in a strip of elastic so there's some maneuverability.

Edited by The Snake

• 6 months later...
On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 6:07 PM, Btabc said:

What snaps are the moste challanged :) The once that allways popped?

1 hour ago, Uxorious said:

What snaps are the moste challanged :) The once that allways popped?

I used a single snap on all my connections during my first build, and on on my first troop one of the shoulder bell/shoulder bridge connections came apart, as well as one of my ab/kidney connecting snaps.  Kind of embarrassing to say the least.

After that, I removed all the snaps and changed to the "double snap" method, which is basically using 2 at every connection as seen in the photo above.  It costs more at the beginning because of the extra supplies, but I haven't had any "wardrobe malfunctions" since.

Here is a tutorial I have which may help:  https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/44617-snap-setting-101/

What brand snaps are you using?  Those cheapo ones at Walmart never held nicely for me.  The Tandy ones I've yet to have one come undone when I didn't want it to... in fact sometimes I have to work to actually get them apart.

• Like 1

I know it's extra work but it can save you in the long run, having double snaps in places gives you the opportunity to still troop if one snap fails ;) 

Never had a snap fail or come loose and I only use single snaps. Good quality snaps like Fasnap or DOT will save you a lot of headache. Military grade, non corrosive and relatively the same cost as Tandy.  

A similar if not the same snap as per Tony's comment are also called "Marine Grade" snaps. These can be found at marine supply stores, they are non corrosive and very sturdy.

Think the kind of snaps used to secure tonneau covers .

• Like 2