CIBC Run For The Cure Edmonton Alberta

Soulart

Sunday. October. 1st 2017

I posted an interest inquiry in our private FB page to see if anyone wished to join me for a brisk walk in honor of so many. To my delight, several quickly responded that they'd love to come with!!!

Some were concerned that the weather would deter members from going...

My brother responded "I have a feeling no matter the weather, Teresa and I will be there!"

He was correct. I'd have been there rain, sleet, snow, tornado, monsoon.... you name it. Hell, I've done this run in a friggin wheelchair post surgery.... And yes, I'd have dragged Peter and my TK Twin Aaron along with me. Though, I suspect, they'd have come willingly as they were happy to go no matter what the weather had in store for us.

Breast Cancer has touched my brothers and my world deeply. As it has for so many others.

We have lost our Grandmother, being diagnosed at (64), and baby sister (29) as well as our mother (59) is our survivor. I am the only woman in my family not diagnosed or deceased, and tested genetically for the hereditary gene. What do you do... it is what it is. I screen every 3 months, and am as proactive as I can be.

In the past 10 years, I have actively volunteered, caregived, fundraised hundreds of thousands of dollars for research and families in needs, and supported as many women as I can. And their caregivers. I have seen firsthand the horrors cancer brings, and experienced it's excruciating pain. Any time I feel a lump in my breast, I'm filled with horror. Terror. However.... Here I am.... Hugging strangers in pink shirts. Celebrating their lives as they proudly wear their Survivor shirts. Hugging and weeping with all those running in memory of their loved ones they have lost. Proudly walking for the women I love so dearly.

I used to do this run with angel wings or butterfly wings strapped to my back. Now, it's done in armor. Armor seems more fitting.... Besides pink always being my favorite color, this is where my pink armor comes in. I've delayed myself in building a set, as I cannot decide which set would fit the profound meaning... I will post my pink armor when I've chosen. With the perfect color of pink.

I'm very grateful to all that made it out yesterday am. It was a spectacular walk, in a beautiful location this year. Usually it's held downtown. This year, at Edmontons Legislation grounds. The trees were turned, and colors were stunning. Our pics lovely!

The 4 men in black looked amazing, and were a great a contrast set against the 3 Troopers, and our one lone Tusken represented his clan with pride! It was amazing. There were over 6000 people in attendance, and we certainly were the popular attraction for photo Ops this year. Hopefully, next year will see the same location, with many more out and about.

In attendance were

Sal/Tie

Jon J/Tie

Travis/Tie

Jon H/Gunner

Vic/Tusken

Peter N/FOTK my brother

Aaron/ANH Hero my TK twin extraordinaire

Myself/ANH Stunt

With loyalty and a happy heart,

Teresa / SoulArt

TK 41307

Badlands Garrison Alberta Canada

f527cb7b0611d48e1297339ae1076267.jpg2a2d3af3e3cd3c65d1256e2a65ee6ac6.jpg52fef713d040382634393f5dd9da759a.jpg6c753bb266a80c6caf1dc142e86b0354.jpg11bace86d93880c6bab15252b831e9cd.jpg784924d586fe81894e0d092841eced4c.jpg9c1e674121ce6aee298b465d78955dbb.jpg2954a97be475a2650a3a5446d9342c50.jpg007886082e508c816937436c52b61942.jpg321ae5eb6d08d8153746f7260a42e01b.jpg3bff5bf04efb40a53db5f72421b7cb2f.jpg2e561122e776d190b9e7636256d4aa69.jpg059ed0365c9e899df5661f324aa3b912.jpg5f6a36e27f61f70bb729b80e1b117c9d.jpg70e50389aa12e841b2d1248c7f83970e.jpg7e69642fa66696de677dbac64565b478.jpg2e292cebf12fe5db461388c63c59189b.jpg4920074a094567deaf30f1036ab7840f.jpg1eb1d8523e35f63c5f358fb353a07a7f.jpg

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

• Like 6

wow, way to go! you guys are an impressive bunch! Kudos to you guys and gals!
Thank you!

• Like 1

Teresa, this post has touched me deeply since my mother is a survivor as well and I've dedicated another bucket (pink) to her.  There is a local walk near me coming up in the next few weeks and I'm hoping to have my armor finished by then as well as a Alzheimer's walk for my grandfather who helped raise me when I was young!

Keep up the great work!

• Like 1

Teresa, this post has touched me deeply since my mother is a survivor as well and I've dedicated another bucket (pink) to her.  There is a local walk near me coming up in the next few weeks and I'm hoping to have my armor finished by then as well as a Alzheimer's walk for my grandfather who helped raise me when I was young!

Keep up the great work!
I'd love to see any pics of you at a walk, or any pinking you have done in her honor. I love seeing things like this :) anything that anyone has done to honor.
I'm so glad your Mother is still with you
Walks are beautiful ways to remember and honor their lives. Especially if you are accompanied by others close to you to share in the moment.
I hope your upcoming walks see someone beside you. If not, hug a stranger. As they are there honoring their loved one too. XO

5 minutes ago, Soulart said:

I'd love to see any pics of you at a walk, or any pinking you have done in her honor. I love seeing things like this :) anything that anyone has done to honor.
I'm so glad your Mother is still with you emoji173.png
Walks are beautiful ways to remember and honor their lives. Especially if you are accompanied by others close to you to share in the moment.
I hope your upcoming walks see someone beside you. If not, hug a stranger. As they are there honoring their loved one too. XO

I'll be sure to take plenty of pics :).  Even if I can't attend the walk, I'll do something for her, possibly a walk on the beach (of course in my armor lol) or take a simple pic with her in the bucket I'm putting together for her!  

I'm hoping that when the time comes I'll be with others, but again if I'm not, (like you said) there are others there for the same reason!  I also read that your mother is also a survivor?  I'm happy for that as well as you staying proactive on your end!  

As always, love reading your troop logs  :salute:

• Like 1

I'll be sure to take plenty of pics :).  Even if I can't attend the walk, I'll do something for her, possibly a walk on the beach (of course in my armor lol) or take a simple pic with her in the bucket I'm putting together for her!  

I'm hoping that when the time comes I'll be with others, but again if I'm not, (like you said) there are others there for the same reason!  I also read that your mother is also a survivor?  I'm happy for that as well as you staying proactive on your end!  

Yes. Out the 3, my mom is the only survivor. I was distraught ( Actually, I lost my mind) when she mentioned they found something on her mammo, as I was secretly getting a lump checked too at the time and didn't want to tell her! Mine was negative. Hers was not. :( oh I was SO angry she was diagnosed. Immediately I thought "Are you serious????? You cannot take another woman I love from me!!!!" I don't know who I screamed this to, but I didn't do good mentally when she was diagnosed. My grandmother was gone, my sister was gone. Not my mom too...... Ugh.

Today actually marks her 5 year mark from diagnosis, and we are spending the day together tomorrow to celebrate that. And book our upcoming genetic testing as there's another 11 markers that offer more defined, specific strains in types of hereditary cancers. I'd rather know. Before they could only test for 2. I'd rather have more information about what will affect my health, and both my mom and I are going for further testing. To help ourselves, and others in the future.
Its all weird. And slightly terrifying, but also interesting. there's nothing I can do to change the DNA except be attentive. And proactive.

IF you walk on the beach, I want to see a picture of that!!!!! Because that just sounds perfect! Bucket in the sand, waves rolling in the background? Serene Beauty! Mom wearing the bucket, you smooching her abs forehead? :)

I am honored you read my field reports!!!
Thank you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Soulart said:

Yes. Out the 3, my mom is the only survivor. I was distraught ( Actually, I lost my mind) when she mentioned they found something on her mammo, as I was secretly getting a lump checked too at the time and didn't want to tell her! Mine was negative. Hers was not. :( oh I was SO angry she was diagnosed. Immediately I thought "Are you serious????? You cannot take another woman I love from me!!!!" I don't know who I screamed this to, but I didn't do good mentally when she was diagnosed. My grandmother was gone, my sister was gone. Not my mom too...... Ugh.

Today actually marks her 5 year mark from diagnosis, and we are spending the day together tomorrow to celebrate that. And book our upcoming genetic testing as there's another 11 markers that offer more defined, specific strains in types of hereditary cancers. I'd rather know. Before they could only test for 2. I'd rather have more information about what will affect my health, and both my mom and I are going for further testing. To help ourselves, and others in the future.
Its all weird. And slightly terrifying, but also interesting. emoji7.png there's nothing I can do to change the DNA except be attentive. And proactive.

IF you walk on the beach, I want to see a picture of that!!!!! Because that just sounds perfect! Bucket in the sand, waves rolling in the background? Serene Beauty! Mom wearing the bucket, you smooching her abs forehead? :)

It's always scary when something like that happens.  My mother found out because of our dog.  It was odd, but the dog was the one that pointed it out to her.  She did have a lump and just hoped it was nothing, but had it checked out to find out it was cancer.  Luckily she was alerted to it early and was able to get it out in one go, but the mental scars are still there.  I was just out of my freshman year in High School when we got word.  I didn't want to do much but wait at home for the doctors to call and there were a few days that I'd head to the hospital after school.  I hear you about not wanting to have cancer take someone else from you.  I felt the same way.  One of the young girls in my grade was diagnosed around the same time.  She decided to go to homeschooling after that.  I will admit that through the process I got an education.  Medicine has fascinated me, but I don't think I can afford to go to the schooling for that haha!

My mother is reaching her 12 yr mark (next year) so we like to do something different each year.  I'm wanting to take her to (possibly) Disney and get a button that says "12 yr survivor".  I'm wanting to surprise her with this part lol, but having 3 dogs it's sort of tough to do things that are about 2 hour drive one way.

I'll be sure to let you know as well on what I do :).  These occasions are MEANT to be celebrated,  so you have fun with your mother as well!  Also, congrats to her on her 5 year mark!  Here's to many more!!!!

c(_)   <- that's a cup lol... best I could do :P

• Like 1

I said it on social media. I will say it again. You guys are my heros
Awwww!!! You are a sweetheart! xoxo

• Like 1

It's always scary when something like that happens.  My mother found out because of our dog.  It was odd, but the dog was the one that pointed it out to her.  She did have a lump and just hoped it was nothing, but had it checked out to find out it was cancer.  Luckily she was alerted to it early and was able to get it out in one go, but the mental scars are still there.  I was just out of my freshman year in High School when we got word.  I didn't want to do much but wait at home for the doctors to call and there were a few days that I'd head to the hospital after school.  I hear you about not wanting to have cancer take someone else from you.  I felt the same way.  One of the young girls in my grade was diagnosed around the same time.  She decided to go to homeschooling after that.  I will admit that through the process I got an education.  Medicine has fascinated me, but I don't think I can afford to go to the schooling for that haha!

My mother is reaching her 12 yr mark (next year) so we like to do something different each year.  I'm wanting to take her to (possibly) Disney and get a button that says "12 yr survivor".  I'm wanting to surprise her with this part lol, but having 3 dogs it's sort of tough to do things that are about 2 hour drive one way.

I'll be sure to let you know as well on what I do :).  These occasions are MEANT to be celebrated,  so you have fun with your mother as well!  Also, congrats to her on her 5 year mark!  Here's to many more!!!!

c(_)     
Animals are amazing.
A 12 year survival celebration trip to Disney sounds spectacular and simply perfect!!!!! I hope it happens for the both of you!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/6/2017 at 11:37 AM, Soulart said:

Animals are amazing. emoji173.png
A 12 year survival celebration trip to Disney sounds spectacular and simply perfect!!!!! I hope it happens for the both of you!

Thank you very much!  Hopefully we'll be able to make it as well.  Also, I was FINALLY able to get a few of the pics and post them:

Thought you'd enjoy this :).  It's not the beach like I had hoped, but this was something that had a lot of meaning behind it.

• Like 1

Thank you very much!  Hopefully we'll be able to make it as well.  Also, I was FINALLY able to get a few of the pics and post them:
Thought you'd enjoy this :).  It's not the beach like I had hoped, but this was something that had a lot of meaning behind it.
You did it!!!!!!
Yes. I did enjoy it, I loved it. And I bet your Mother did too. Thank you for remembering to let me know. I appreciate very much that you did. :)