FirstOrders TLJ/Executioner Build - 9.23.2017

First0rder

12 hours ago, Daetrin said:

Wow, fantastic build thread.  You are making the life of your GML super easy.  :salute:

All ive heard thus far is that since its a new costume and they havnt seen before they were going through the legion to make sure they get it right.

So i guess i quietly wait for now :)

Thanks Paul, Darren, and Deo for your support 

• Like 1

All ive heard thus far is that since its a new costume and they havnt seen before they were going through the legion to make sure they get it right.
So i guess i quietly wait for now

Thanks Paul, Darren, and Deo for your support 

Tell them if they want to reach out to another GML to chat I’d be happy to discuss. This is s costume I’ve researched very heavily

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

18 hours ago, JAFO said:

Tell them if they want to reach out to another GML to chat I’d be happy to discuss. This is s costume I’ve researched very heavily emoji6.png

Thanks Darren, i will

17 hours ago, sandtrooper said:

Other than the Plasti Dip, did you do anything else to the interior of the armor?  Thanks.

Hi,  Mainly PlasticDip the inside of all the parts,  But also around the inside of the ankles and spats i added Felt. To both add cushion and protection to the boots.

For the Yoke and Chest Plate, i added Small D ring Rubber weatherstripping to also protect the parts form scathing against one another.  

Hope that helps. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, First0rder said:

Thanks Darren, i will

Hi,  Mainly PlasticDip the inside of all the parts,  But also around the inside of the ankles and spats i added Felt. To both add cushion and protection to the boots.

For the Yoke and Chest Plate, i added Small D ring Rubber weatherstripping to also protect the parts form scathing against one another.  

Hope that helps. 

Thanks for the reply.  I was thinking more about what was done to the inside of the armor before the Plasti Dip was added; such as sanding, etc.

Great news Everyone!  Ive been cleared!!!!!   Now can troop as a FOJE! 

https://www.501st.com/members/displaymemberdetails.php?userID=25049

BTW, did i make the first of 10? 

Edited by First0rder

2 hours ago, MStalkid said:

Congrats, you deserve it!!!!!! Not sure where you fell in line, but as of right now there is 11. 

Thanks Matt!!!!   Oh, how to tell?? is there a Trooper DB that we can see the current count of each approved? 

On 12/8/2017 at 5:37 PM, gmrhodes13 said:

Congratulations on your TLJE approval

gw1XgOr.png

Thanks Glen and thanks for the stats

On 12/8/2017 at 5:53 PM, JAFO said:

Congrats Andy! It has been a pleasure seeing this build come together. Now...what shall we work on next? emoji6.png

Lol, IDK, what are we thinking??  haha 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Epoxied the Chicago screws base to the inner of the helmet and allowed to dry.  then i layed the lens over and used a black sharpie marker to jot where to drill the holes. finally used the screw to secure. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I just had a Future Trooper ask me a few questions about my Executioner so thought I would Post them on my build for future troopers as well.  Some great questions asked. Hope these help but if not, pls ask for further clarification. 

- Can you list all of the spray paint you used
I used Montana Cans Gold Series Universal Primer and Shock White and Black.  Reason why i went Montana Cans is that its an Acrylic based paint that offers more flexibility than Enamels or Lacquers.  I used Montana cans for all 3; Primer, Top coat and Clear coat.  Clear was Gloss on white and flat on the black.   Additioanlly i also used Primer from Rustoleum for Etching Primer and Rustoleum High build primer.

- Can you List the steps you took to paint everything? Especially the helmet
The paint was a lenghtly process, only cause i really like my paint to look like glass.  But if you are not, you can certaintly skip some of the processes performed.
Start - mix up bondo and run a skim coat over the helmet,  this will start filling in all the low spots.   Next lay a thin coat of filler primer and allow to dry.  Block Sand the helmet with 240 grit carfully.  Rinse with water and hold into the light reflecting the surface looking for high / low spots.   if you see more low spots, mix up more bondo and repeat steps.   Once level, spray ecthing primer and allow to dry.  Wet sand with 400 and rinse and allow to dry.  Spray 2 coats of Montana Cans Universal Primer.  Once dry, using Bondo Spot filler, fill in any pin holes.   Wet sand with 800 grit.  repeat for any missed pin holes.  Now your ready for Base Paint.   Lay down 2 coats of White and allow to dry.  Wet Sand with 1200.  Lay down another 2 coats of White and allow to dry.  Wet sand with 1500.   Now your ready for Clear.  Lay down 2 coats of clear and allow to dry.,  Wet sand with 1800.  Lay down another 2 coats and allow to dry.,  wet sand with 2000.    
Now Very Important - Allow the Helmet to dry for 5 days before touching again.  Since there is alot of paint and clear, it will take time to fully cure and harden.   If you Dont wait and start masking off for the black, youll find that the paint is still soft and youll have tape marks left behind and will need to wetsand again.
For the remaining parts - i repeated all above but skipped the 2nd bondo application. 

- Did you have to get any extra pieces to make the kit accurate?
All the hard goods from Jim were acurate enough for lvl 1 approval.  However when you want to achieve lvl 2 or higher approval, then youll need to outsoure a better belt, rubber gaskets. Youll want to reference the CRL closely: https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_TLJ_Executioner

- Any areas you feel needed to be reinforced and how did you do it?
Youll find that you need to Reinforce a few areas immediatly.  Mainly the Yoke and Thighs.   There are a bunch of build threads where the gents used Fiberglass Boat Repair to Reinforce the inside of the parts and others had used Devcon Plastic Welder.  I would do either or. 

- Anything you wished you did now that your done?
For the Yoke, I would recommend getting Ukswraths @ukswrath yoke supports.   Really wish i used them as film acurate and fantastic option to reinforce the yoke.  Wish i had also contoured hte back side of the thighs to allow more mobility and also countoured the upper thighs more to match the cod. 

- what glue did you use?
Devcon Plastic Welder, Loctite CA Universal, Loctite Marine Grade Epoxy

- How did you get the lens in?
Epoxed Chicago screw bases to the inside of the helmet .  then marked and drilled a small hole for each and secured with screws. 

- magnets or snaps?

Both.   Magnets on the Chest plate and snaps everywhere else. 

- Can you list all of the sand paper you had to use?

240 Dry, 400W, 800W, 1200W, 1500W, and 2000W

- Can you list the extra pieces you had to buy on top of  the kit?
Undersuite from Stormtrooper Undersuit, Gloves and Boots from Imperial Boots, Belt from Belts of the FirstOrder @JAFO, Neck seal from Anovos Premeir Line,  Cloth Gaskets from Jim, Canvas Belt boxes from TrooperBay, Helmet Sound and Fans from Ukswrath @ukswrath

Edited by First0rder
  • Like 2

On 5/24/2018 at 8:34 AM, First0rder said:

*snip*

Thank you for the paint tutorial! I hope to paint the black yoke area and shoulder bells soon. Where did you buy the Montana Gold paint? I live over an hour away from any Home Depot, Michael's, Hobby Lobby's etc so would like to not have to do a ton of searching next time I'm near civilization. I see it on Amazon as a last resort but think I could probably find it cheaper elsewhere.

Hey Anzo,,  i got the Montana Cans ordered and shipped to my house from Blick Art Supply here: https://www.dickblick.com/ .

here is a direct link to the product.  hope this helps:  https://www.dickblick.com/products/montana-gold-acrylic-professional-spray-paints/  

• Like 1

On 6/1/2018 at 7:39 AM, First0rder said:

Hey Anzo,,  i got the Montana Cans ordered and shipped to my house from Blick Art Supply here: https://www.dickblick.com/ .

here is a direct link to the product.  hope this helps:  https://www.dickblick.com/products/montana-gold-acrylic-professional-spray-paints/  

Most helpful thank you!