Taking Apart Glued Armor???

Ragtooth

Hello All

New TK here (99427) and am still tweaking my armor in anticipation of my first troop next weekend.  I need to open up the bicep armor so that that shoulder bells come up and in more (or loose some muscle - which is not my preference!)

This armor is from a full RS Propmasters commission.  I sent them my arm measurements so I'm not sure why it's so tight. 

Not sure what glue they used.  Assuming CA or R6000, are there any tricks to taking it apart so that I can use a wider seam and open up the biceps? Or is the solution to just build another set?

Thanks

vj5eSjx.jpgSUGu0RR.jpg

Not sure what adhesive RS uses when building their commissioned kits, but taking it apart may not be a viable option. But instead of building an entirely new kit, another option is to order a set of biceps from them and build them yourself. It's an easy part to build, and I'm told RS is good about selling spare parts.

When you sent them your upper arm measurements, did you take your measurements while in a fully-flexed bicep position?

The elastic will peel of fairly easily , just take your time so that you don't over stretch it . 

When you have decided upon the new position to glue it back on to , use ca ( superglue) adhesive to glue it back in place . 

Wet the elastic with glue and immediately force it into position and hold it there for a minute or so . 

Dont let any time go bye between applying the glue and holding it in position . The elastic soaks up the ca glue and it sets very fast on the elastic itself . 

30 minutes ago, Locitus said:

RS uses CA glue to build their suits as they are pressed for time.

I thought that that may be the case .... any tricks for taking it apart?

I can try to gently pry it apart and see if it starts to give.....

2 minutes ago, Ragtooth said:

I thought that that may be the case .... any tricks for taking it apart?

I can try to gently pry it apart and see if it starts to give.....

I'd use a razor or something similar and try to pry it apart. Very carefully.

I haven't personally tried it, but I read on a thread once that putting the armor in the freezer for a few hours or so will make the CA glue more brittle and easier to pry apart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have heard of the freezer trick before, sounds like it has worked for some.

Also soaking in a warm bath of very salty water has had some success.

Good luck, hope you have luck.

I've used a putty knife with a small hammer to gently tap the seams and had good success. Slowly tap the seams until they pop and don't rush.

6ce970bbd69b8b20bb0b48dd5562064a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks again for all of your respective ideas and input. 

It it looks like the plan will be to "freeze, shimmy and pop"! 

I'll let you guys know what happens. I may be posting a request to find bicep armor real soon! lol. 

• Like 2

On 9/21/2017 at 10:09 PM, Pyrates said:

I've used a putty knife with a small hammer to gently tap the seams and had good success. Slowly tap the seams until they pop and don't rush.

6ce970bbd69b8b20bb0b48dd5562064a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You, my friend, are a steely-eyed missile man!!!  :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:

This worked PERFECTLY!!!!  I just had to start it with the edge of a utility blade and then I replaced it with a rigid 1 1/4" putty knife (not the flexible) that had somewhat of a bevel.  As you indicated, all I had to do was to gently tap it down with a small gunsmith hammer.  

I didn't freeze as frankly I didn't have the patience to sit around and wait. 

Thanks again for the advice!!

Edited by Ragtooth
  • Like 2

You, mind friend, are a steely-eyed missile man!!!  :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:

This worked PERFECTLY!!!!  I just had to start it with the edge of a utility blade and then I replaced it with a rigid 1 1/4" putty knife (not the flexible) that had somewhat of a bevel.  As you indicated, all I had to do was to gently tap it down with a small gunsmith hammer.  

I didn't freeze as frankly I didn't have the patience to sit around and wait. 

Thanks again for the advice!!

Always happy to help mate