HOW TO: Make ABS Paste

kman

On 6/12/2018 at 3:53 AM, justjoseph63 said:

A photo showing a wider area of what you are trying to work on would help as well.  I would also recommend sanding down the area first to get rid of the dark areas, as the ABS paste may not cover these.  Also, what are the dark lines?  (Red arrows).

yDYLWut.jpg

Sorry to take time to respond. the dark line are weathering, but i chosed to command a new set of thight case the gap behind was to wide!

• 1 year later...

@kman I'm looking to ABS paste the seams in my thigh shims, but not sure if I should leave more room for the ABS paste to sit in, or less. I haven't worked with ABS paste before, and using the plastic from ANOVOS, would you say 1-2mm is too narrow? I'm just afraid of flex that would unseat the paste because there wasn't enough to either build adhesion to the crevice walls or enough paste to provide the flex. 

Here's my planned material - I can trim the added material per recommendation.

CA5MiZM.jpg

24 minutes ago, fishgoh0nk said:

@kman I'm looking to ABS paste the seams in my thigh shims, but not sure if I should leave more room for the ABS paste to sit in, or less. I haven't worked with ABS paste before, and using the plastic from ANOVOS, would you say 1-2mm is too narrow? I'm just afraid of flex that would unseat the paste because there wasn't enough to either build adhesion to the crevice walls or enough paste to provide the flex. 

Here's my planned material - I can trim the added material per recommendation.

CA5MiZM.jpg

The paste is cosmetic - you will need additional ABS backing behind the entire patch or it would fail spectacularly.

That said, smaller gaps will be less noticeable but in my experience anything thinner than a couple of mm makes it hard to get the paste in the gaps.

• Like 1

I've added tape behind gaps before which stops the paste leaking through. I would however once you have applied to the front and it has dried to add more to the back for extra strength. 

2 hours ago, Harbinger said:

The paste is cosmetic - you will need additional ABS backing behind the entire patch or it would fail spectacularly.

That said, smaller gaps will be less noticeable but in my experience anything thinner than a couple of mm makes it hard to get the paste in the gaps.

13 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

I've added tape behind gaps before which stops the paste leaking through. I would however once you have applied to the front and it has dried to add more to the back for extra strength. 

Way ahead of you guys :D I just didn't want to post the ugly No Parking sign I used as a backer... This was last night.

ZLfeZee.jpg

Edited by fishgoh0nk
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, fishgoh0nk said:

Way ahead of you guys :D I just didn't want to post the ugly No Parking sign I used as a backer... This was last night.

ZLfeZee.jpg

Just be careful leaving any paint on, it can bleed into the plastic and abs paste ;) 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, fishgoh0nk said:

Before using the ABS paste I would go ahead and add your mobility cuts.  The reason being is that if you patch the seams first, the pressure from making the cuts afterward may crack the pasted areas (blue arrows).

GLV5yXj.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/25/2020 at 4:23 AM, justjoseph63 said:

Before using the ABS paste I would go ahead and add your mobility cuts.  The reason being is that if you patch the seams first, the pressure from making the cuts afterward may crack the pasted areas (blue arrows).

GLV5yXj.jpg

@justjoseph63 sorry, off topic. but any tips for making mobility cuts? i'm assuming the thigh cuts should be similar width to the calves? Or as much as you need when bending the leg?

Edited by fishgoh0nk

2 hours ago, fishgoh0nk said:

@justjoseph63 sorry, off topic. but any tips for making mobility cuts? i'm assuming the thigh cuts should be similar width to the calves? Or as much as you need when bending the leg?

Screen reference:

3MPHigz.jpg

When in doubt check the gallery section ;) 

17 hours ago, fishgoh0nk said:

@justjoseph63 i'm assuming the thigh cuts should be similar width to the calves? Or as much as you need when bending the leg?

I would just remove as much as you need to for comfort.  There is no hard and fast rule, but for Centurion level just be sure not to cut off anything past the raised ridge on either the calves or thighs,

9jSJVGh.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like 1200 grit + novus isn't enough to get the same sheen as the ABS - I bought some 2, 3, and 4000 grit paper, that should do it right?

Edited by fishgoh0nk
wrong topic

• 2 weeks later...

So I got ABS pasting my thigh seams, but I think I should've gone the thinner seam route - I didn't know how bubbly ABS paste could be - I think I have a density problem - the shade of ABS on some of the areas seem a bit darker - would it be better to paint at this point? I thought polishing might help it, but not really 

9tqxf7T.jpg

8F6Te6S.jpg

Edited by fishgoh0nk
typo
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, darthcue said:

Can i use lacquer thinner to make ABS paste?

I would not suggest trying it.  Acetone is your best bet, but it needs to be the pure type (like you find in a paint or hardware store).  Nail polish remover also has acetone, but it is not strong enough to melt ABS.

I would not suggest trying it.  Acetone is your best bet, but it needs to be the pure type (like you find in a paint or hardware store).  Nail polish remover also has acetone, but it is not strong enough to melt ABS.
Problem here in my country is pure Acetone is ban because is being use to make METH...

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Yikes.  I would suggest posting something up on your Garrison boards explaining what you need, as there may be someone who has some they can supply you with.  (Acetone, not meth, lol).  Are you looking to make it to fill the gap in the lower ridge of your thigh?  If so, the gap is not that wide and you can use white E-6000.  Just tape up all the edges carefully (remember, it's runny) and don't over-fill the space.

Ltta50M.jpg

• Like 1

Yikes.  I would suggest posting something up on your Garrison boards explaining what you need, as there may be someone who has some they can supply you with.  (Acetone, not meth, lol).  Are you looking to make it to fill the gap in the lower ridge of your thigh?  If so, the gap is not that wide and you can use white E-6000.  Just tape up all the edges carefully (remember, it's runny) and don't over-fill the space.

Ltta50M.jpg&key=f090ea15cda4ecc1393ac7cfecaa5a00e893b5279a7c5484c4822c915556e2d6

Thanks bro! I will look for white E6000...

• Like 1

Problem here in my country is pure Acetone is ban because is being use to make METH...

If you can find plastic weld which is a liquid solvent cement then you should make it with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...