Tee-Bowls' First Order Trooper TFA/TLJE Build (KB Props)

Tee-Bowls

So for those of you who haven't seen my New CRL post I've got my heart set on one of the newest characters to come out of Force Friday II. Captain Cardinal! 

img%5D

img%5D

Sadly these are the only two images we have of him. The first is an exclusive poster from Barnes and Noble and the other is the back cover of the book. There are plenty on descriptions of him in the book although he is a regular FOTK with a red paint scheme lol. :laugh1:

At any rate I was planning on doing a regular TFA FOTK before the book was released so I was already in motion to do it. Time to just add a cape and change the color scheme from white to red!

I already have a set of TK7 gloves and boots from Imperialboots but they are still white. I'm unsure about dyeing them so if anybody has any tips or a trustworthy process for doing it then I'm going to wait until IB does their run of red.

img%5D 

I also have my undersuit from stormtrooperundersuit.com. 

img%5D

I also picked up my helmet from KB Props on Monday. Gotta go with the local armor maker right? I'm so stoked to be working with him and hopefully the rest of my garrison on this.

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

At this point I realized I didn't grab my clip greeblies so last night i got them an attached. I didn't really take a good picture of the process but here they are attached.

img%5D 

I also started painting the cheek greeblies black.

img%5D 

I hope to make more process this weekend! 

• Like 2

Hopefully more references will become available, good luck with the build, looking forward to the progress.

• Tee-Bowls changed the title to Tee-Bowls' Captain Cardinal Build (KB Props)

Thanks everyone for the support! I was able to install the aerator I got from Vaderpaintsutdios and I started working on painting.

img%5D

I then taped up the helmet to try and put the black mesh paint on.

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

However the paint stuck to the tape and when I removed it part came off. I've been debating on getting it airbrushed red at a custom shop and given my history with paint jobs I think that's the safest route to go.

I also started reprinting my F-11D with a red filament instead of white. It's not the right shade of red right now but it's a lot less challenging to paint those pieces than armor pieces. I'll post pictures of that as well when I have more than 3 small pieces printed out. 

It really depends on the paint and masking tape you use, I find enamel paints tend to stick as they are quite thick, another reason I prefer using automotive acrylic paint, dries fast and coats are much thinner. I also take the tape off before it is fully dry, easier to separate the tape from paint while slightly wet.

47 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

It really depends on the paint and masking tape you use, I find enamel paints tend to stick as they are quite thick, another reason I prefer using automotive acrylic paint, dries fast and coats are much thinner. I also take the tape off before it is fully dry, easier to separate the tape from paint while slightly wet.

What type of automotive acrylic paint do you use? I don't want to spend the extra money on having somebody else paint it if I can do it myself. I know that a paint job can make or break this armor. Plus Q your armor looks amazing and if I can achieve that level of quality then I'm set. 

1 hour ago, Tee-Bowls said:

What type of automotive acrylic paint do you use? I don't want to spend the extra money on having somebody else paint it if I can do it myself. I know that a paint job can make or break this armor. Plus Q your armor looks amazing and if I can achieve that level of quality then I'm set. 

It's from a local automotive chain store here in Australia, automotive acrylic paint is pretty much the same so any good brand should be ok BUT you can't paint acrylic paint over enamel as it will react and bubble so be careful there ;) 

• 2 weeks later...

So my one of my 3D printers is having some major problems right now so my red F11-D and SE-44C will have to wait until I can get it all sorted out. I ordered the dye for my gloves and boots. I purchased my armor kit last night so once it's ready and I go pick it up I'll post it as well. As per the suggestion/references that Pereginus/Jonah put up in my CRL discussion I added the Phasma boot/armor parts to the my kit order.

I also received the Rusteoleum I was going to use. 

img%5D

img%5D

How fitting that it's called Cardinal Red! I'll be using this for the armor and to add more of a gloss to the 3D printed pieces. Thanks for checking out my build thread!

• Like 1

Great news about the armor, hopefully it won't take too long until you see a BBB on your doorstep :D

• 2 weeks later...

I'm envious of you being started already. :P I've got everything mapped out (deposit here, order this thing that needs a lot of lead time there, accumulate these  materials while I wait, etc.), but the biggest factor is the armor and helmet, and I'm going the Anovos route. Everyone I know there has faith that the first shipment they get from their factories in China will be in their warehouse by the end of this month. We'll see.

--Jonah

Is he wearing a regular FOTK or the Captain armor? From the book descriptions, it sounds like it's the same armor as Phasma's, just red instead of chrome. It's MOSTLY the same. IIRC, the cod is different (Flametrooper instead, but KB makes those, too) and individual finger armor.

• Like 1

He's by-the-book. Phasma ignores what she feels like and does what she wants. The back cover and the Barnes & Noble poster both show regular Stormtrooper armor to the shins -- just in red. The artists went from the author's description in the book, and she had to approve of their work before it went ahead, so that's accurate. The only deviation from standard isn't shown in the art, but described in the book: he has boot armor like Phasma. Since he never did anything on his own initiative (for nearly his entire career), but went with what he was assigned, the supposition is that that was part of the red armor he was given upon promotion, along with the cape, and is likely part of the standard First Order Captain's ensemble.

Phasma went with prototype pieces she preferred over the later standard-issue, had to modify the greaves for length, likely went with the Flametrooper groin armor for fit, and acquired crushgaunts from somewhere. It's also possible, given her personality, that she did the red stripe on her cape on her own initiative, rather than stick with the standard gray that Cardinal has (it's also possible the red denotes a higher rank, as the ancillary material makes mention of Phasma being higher than a Captain but refusing to be addressed as anything else, preferring to work at that level where possible).

• Like 1

So after an extremely rough week and the tragedy that occurred on the First of this month here in Las Vegas I was finally able to get some work done this past weekend. 

On 10/6/2017 at 5:29 PM, Peregrinus said:

I'm envious of you being started already. :P I've got everything mapped out (deposit here, order this thing that needs a lot of lead time there, accumulate these  materials while I wait, etc.), but the biggest factor is the armor and helmet, and I'm going the Anovos route. Everyone I know there has faith that the first shipment they get from their factories in China will be in their warehouse by the end of this month. We'll see.

--Jonah

I hope Anovos ships out for everyone soon! Plus I've still got some parts I need to order/figure out.

22 hours ago, KellwolfB6 said:

Is he wearing a regular FOTK or the Captain armor? From the book descriptions, it sounds like it's the same armor as Phasma's, just red instead of chrome. It's MOSTLY the same. IIRC, the cod is different (Flametrooper instead, but KB makes those, too) and individual finger armor.

Yeah according to the only images we have Cardinal has FOTK armor with a red paint scheme along with the Captain boot Armor that Phasma has. Phasma follows the beat of her own drum so she has a lot of extra armor parts.

So I started out my Saturday with taping of the inside of my helmet.

img%5D

I had already wet sanded it and prepped it earlier. 

img%5D

I set up my small box in the corner of the garage and got to work. I was able to put down two coats on the helmet. I haven't touched it since trying to make sure it sets correctly.

Here is the back of the freshly painted helmet with 1 coat of paint.

img%5D 

The front of the freshly painted helmet with 2 coats of paint.

img%5D

It seems to have lost a bit of it's glossy finish but I was planning on doing a clear coat of gloss to protect it anyways.

I also made major progress on 3D printing my SE-44c.

A majority of the black pieces came out good, however there were a few that printed out too small so I have to fix them

and try again. 

img%5D

I started using my red filament for the original white parts. I'm going to be painting this blaster when it's all printed for a better finish.

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

I was able to print of the major left part last night and I'll print of the final shell part later on today.

img%5D

I still haven't been able to dye my gloves and boots but progress is still progress! I hope to have even more done this week. 

2 hours ago, Peregrinus said:

So pretty!!

And I had utterly forgotten you're in Vegas. Oof. Did you at least not lose anyone, personally, I hope? :(

Thank you for asking. My fiance had a friend who was at the concert. She was shot in the leg, luckily she was able to escape and is expected to make a full recovery. Almost everyone here it seems has had a connection to it. It's been a tough week, however we are Vegas Strong and the community has been rallied together. I'm proud of my city. At any rate it makes me want to finish this build and get out there and bring joy to those around me.

Edited by Tee-Bowls
  • Like 1

Red is the new white :)

If you want to get rid of a lot of the 3D printed lines I have found either use a spray putty or even silver paint as it helps fill in the print ridges, it's easy to sand and after a few coats really gets rid of a lot of fine lines. I do prefer the silver paint, one as it looks more like a metal base and two as it seams to dry a lot stronger than spray putty.

Hey, Q... Is there a particular silver paint you use/recommend? One thing I've seen is using acetone vapor. There are tutorials online.

Tyler... I'm glad she's recovering okay. Everyone I know in Vegas directly is fine, but at least one dear friend lost someone there.

18 minutes ago, Peregrinus said:

Hey, Q... Is there a particular silver paint you use/recommend? One thing I've seen is using acetone vapor. There are tutorials online.

I have found industrial silver paint to be a lot thicker but I have also used auto acrylic paint.

I tried brushing on acetone before but you can loose detail in areas you don't want to. I've not tried the vapor myself but again I would think some detail may be lost.

Spray putty / high build primer will work but you just need to go over a few times to get a nice build up.

On 10/9/2017 at 5:04 PM, gmrhodes13 said:

I have found industrial silver paint to be a lot thicker but I have also used auto acrylic paint.

I tried brushing on acetone before but you can loose detail in areas you don't want to. I've not tried the vapor myself but again I would think some detail may be lost.

Spray putty / high build primer will work but you just need to go over a few times to get a nice build up.

Thanks Q I'll have to go pick up some silver paint! 

I've been moving right along with this build while I wait for my armor. I think my paint job went great! So last night I added back the black in where it needed to go and glued in the cheek pieces as well. All I'm missing are my lenses and to paint the inside with black Plasti-dip. I also plan on including electronics.

The right side of the helmet.

img%5D

The back of the helmet.

img%5D

The Left side of the helmet.

img%5D

Of course an obligatory me trying on the helmet.

img%5D

I also need to add padding on the inside too.

I was able to print out the other side of my SE-44c however it didn't come out as good as I wanted it too. Hopefully I can fix my other printer and reprint it. Until then It'll have to do.

From the different sides it looks fine.

img%5D

img%5D

From the top or behind you can see the weird gap from them not printing properly.

Here it is from the back. 

img%5D

From the front.

img%5D

From the Top.

img%5D

Now I took the photos of the SE-44c before work so I didn't really have a chance to work on having them fit better. I'll try when I get home tonight to clean it up even more. I also have all the dyes to change my boots to black and my gloves to red. I can't wait for BBB day, however since it's local i'll just have to pick it up when it's ready so no extra time for shipping! Time to order a belt from JAFO and figure out where I can get the canvas pouches.

• 4 weeks later...

So while I'm still waiting for my armor I figured it would be smart to get some of my other parts together. I was able to buy a belt kit from JAFO/Darren (not pictured because I don't want to open the package and lose anything). 

I was able to order a pair of Cardinal gloves from Imperial Boots.

img%5D

Now I already have a pair of TK7 Boots from back when I was going to make a regular trooper. I also have leather dye to make them black. However I might try to keep them just in case I do a regular trooper down the line.

img%5D

I know that Imperial Boots is making a prototype Phasma boot for now however I have no idea what the production speed looks like for that. Instead I'm planning on trying to purchase a black shoe/boot from them.

Option 1: Is still dying the TK7

Option 2: Is buying the BlackOps shoe

img%5D

Option 3: The Pilot7 boots seem to be the closest to the Phamsa boot CRL

img%5D

If anybody has a different source for boots or can help me pick from the ones from Imperial Boots I would greatly appreciate it. I'm going crazy waiting. It's been over a month so I'm trying to focus on other things I can work on.

I'm also working on finishing the SE-44c with silver paint to remove the lines and fill imperfections. I'll then be able to paint the pieces the correct red and black that they need. 

Edited by Tee-Bowls

On 11/6/2017 at 1:07 PM, Tee-Bowls said:

If anybody has a different source for boots or can help me pick from the ones from Imperial Boots I would greatly appreciate it.

I ordered mine from Gio, aka CROW PROPS. He just got an actual web site set up, but I suggest talking to him about it on Facebook first, so he's expecting the order. I've gotten three other pairs of boots from him over the years, and plan to get more yet. He's a good guy and does pretty good work. The link to his store is one of the first posts in the FB page's timeline, so you can go there and see his Phasma boots, but here's a direct link, for convenience.

I'm going crazy waiting. It's been over a month so I'm trying to focus on other things I can work on.

I know that feel. I have my GeekyPink neckseal in hand and it's lovely. I have the gloves and boots ordered. I theoretically have the thigh holster upgrade package coming from Dan at some point soon (and which I'm planning to anodize red for better color durability). I'm still making payments on the ANOVOS kit, pending it actually arriving in their warehouse, at which point I'll pay off the balance and shipping in one go. I'm planning to order the SE-44C kit next. Holding off until later this month or December to check bodysuit and cape off the list... And I'm a little annoyed it's been over a month and a half since he and I initially talked about it, but I've never heard back from Jimmi on a price point for the Phasma boot armor on its own (he already offers the boot and glove armor as a standalone package). I don't want to get too far into supplies beyond paint and glue until I know better what might have changed between ANOVOS' earlier version and this one, but I am going to be getting Tony's hole-backing kit over the next couple days, and I've socked in a lot of the other known accurizing supplies and materials to make the suspension rigging...

...But ultimately I can only go so far without the actual frikkin' armor. :6: