MStalkid's TLJ FOTK/Executioner build (LARGE photos)

MStalkid

I've wet sanded pieces in my sink before, was too cold to go outside and I don't have a bath ;).

Well done

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

I've wet sanded pieces in my sink before, was too cold to go outside and I don't have a bath ;).

Well done

Yup me too.  had a large laundry basin installed so can wet sand inside the house.  hehe.   The Bathtub was pretty funny Matt. ahaha! 

Glad to hear I'm not the only one going to crazy lengths haha. Question. Do most of you strap and do all your attaching of snaps magneta etc before or after paint? Ive seen a bunch of builds both ways. I think I'm going to strap and modify everything before priming even....getting to where you start questioning yourself :P

Glad to hear I'm not the only one going to crazy lengths haha. Question. Do most of you strap and do all your attaching of snaps magneta etc before or after paint? Ive seen a bunch of builds both ways. I think I'm going to strap and modify everything before priming even....getting to where you start questioning yourself

I did all the straps and connections before painting. I just masked them off to protect from any stray paint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tonight and this weekend is get everything repaired, strapped, etc.

Question for fitting wise. How tight are your guys thigh pieces? Mine is uh...very tight up high and loose around the knee. I almost thought I had it upside down haha. Would you just cut and shim the inside seam to the right width? Just curious how high up I need to get it before I start taking off on the bottom by the knee. 

I'll get pictures once I get my handler hah :P

Edited by MStalkid

Tonight and this weekend is get everything repaired, strapped, etc.

Question for fitting wise. How tight are your guys thigh pieces? Mine is uh...very tight up high and loose and the knee. I almost thought I had it upside down haha. Would you just cut and shim the back to the right width? Just curious how high up I need to get it before I start taking off on the bottom by the knee. 

I'll get pictures once I get my handler hah

Are you shaping the top and bottom of the thigh? This might help you.

bb3c28408cb5472163a9d8ff1622ec2f.jpg

Many just put Jim’s thighs on ‘as is’ and it looks off.

You can shim at the back of the thigh and it has worked well for a few people.

2 hours ago, JAFO said:

Are you shaping the top and bottom of the thigh? This might help you.

bb3c28408cb5472163a9d8ff1622ec2f.jpg

Many just put Jim’s thighs on ‘as is’ and it looks off.

You can shim at the back of the thigh and it has worked well for a few people.

This helps a lot. I thought the back needed to come down away from the booty plate ha. I'll definitely be trimming them, once it's trimmed they will sit higher on my thigh so maybe not as much trimming on the bottom. Is that normally what needs to happen with jims kit? While I'm asking, how the crap did you attach your splats?! Just to the bottom of the shins? And how do you all attach the TD? Clips? Magnets? Snaps? 

Edited by MStalkid

2 minutes ago, MStalkid said:

This helps a lot. I thought the back needed to come down away from the booty plate ha. I'll definitely be trimming them, once it's trimmed they will sit higher on my thigh so maybe not as much trimming on the bottom. Is that normally what needs to happen with jims kit? While I'm asking, how the crap did you attach your splats?! Just to the bottom of the shins? And how do you all attach the TD? Clips? Magnets? Snaps? 

I shaped the front of the thighs using the cod as an outline. When you look at an FOTK you can see how the thighs follow the edge/shape of the cod. I trimmed a little at the rear just to get a nice clean curve.

I trimmed the bottom of the thighs just to give a little more clearance around the knee plates. JUST REMEMBER THIS.....be sure to measure the placement of your thigh holster before doing ANY cutting. It would be easy to get carried away to trim to size then realise there's not enough room for the holster to fit properly.

Spats I just slide on. I'm lucky. It might work for you. When I kit up I go knee gaskets, thighs, slide on spats, boots, shin and then push the shin down to sit in the spat.

For the TD I use magnets with a small elastic/Velcro return that goes over the top of the ab piece and connects inside. The movie kits has little plastic returns that sit on top of the ab plate. People often used Velcro to support this version but magnets (thin) should work too.

Hope that all helps :)

13 minutes ago, JAFO said:

I shaped the front of the thighs using the cod as an outline. When you look at an FOTK you can see how the thighs follow the edge/shape of the cod. I trimmed a little at the rear just to get a nice clean curve.

I trimmed the bottom of the thighs just to give a little more clearance around the knee plates. JUST REMEMBER THIS.....be sure to measure the placement of your thigh holster before doing ANY cutting. It would be easy to get carried away to trim to size then realise there's not enough room for the holster to fit properly.

Spats I just slide on. I'm lucky. It might work for you. When I kit up I go knee gaskets, thighs, slide on spats, boots, shin and then push the shin down to sit in the spat.

For the TD I use magnets with a small elastic/Velcro return that goes over the top of the ab piece and connects inside. The movie kits has little plastic returns that sit on top of the ab plate. People often used Velcro to support this version but magnets (thin) should work too.

Hope that all helps :)

You're a boss! Thank you! This helps so much. I actually don't have to worry with Jims V5 about holster placement. He casted the base raised section into the armor itself. No guessing. Also there is a specific left and right with my kit. Only thing it doesn't have is left and right shins. Easy fix.

• Like 1

Deal. I'm going to do a mock suit up here in the next day or so so hopefully I can get comments about placement etc. This is the scary part haha.

You’ll want to shape the inside of your shin top. You’ll also want to fill that greeblie space - it it still exists on the v5.

Rather than fill your thread with my pics I’ll happily share a link to a folder do you can view. They were all on my build thread before the Photobucket change.

7 minutes ago, JAFO said:

You’ll want to shape the inside of your shin top. You’ll also want to fill that greeblie space - it it still exists on the v5.

Rather than fill your thread with my pics I’ll happily share a link to a folder do you can view. They were all on my build thread before the Photobucket change.

Yeah just PM me or something. This will be easier once I get photos of me on the stupid armor. I'm still working an hour from home so it's hard to get things done haha. 15 hour work days do that. But I'll have pics this weekend and then you can give me more advice ;) I'll also have pics of my ax progress. 

So got it all on today. Going to work on my blaster and Ax until I get some feedback from you all. Because I'm at a loss for sizing with it.

AFRC794.jpgIWWvLE7.jpg

QnsCHdf.jpg

Forgive the super duper messy room...lots of projects going on.

So here's my questions;

1) My thighs feel too tight and too low. What are your thoughts? Should I cut the inside seam and add more? Or does it look okay and that would be more comfort? I know that I need to trim some off the bottom but wasn't sure how much.

2) Shins. These things I have 0 idea. The upper edge towards the knee goes under the thigh (could be because the thigh is too low) and I feel like it's riding on the boots weird. Also do I have them on the right legs?

3)Spats. Need a way to attach them. They are a little too floppy.

4)Butt plate. I feel like it is hanging low, but could be because nothing is attached yet. How high up do you want your ab plate? I feel if I brought the ab higher I get way too much upper thigh gap. (again could be a thigh issue)

I feel like my upper body is all decently sized, but its the lower body that needs some work. Let me know :P

Cut the thighs apart. Just followed the inside seam. Going to add and inch and a half which should give me plenty of space. Since its cut I think I might overlap them and use Velcro.

Got my blaster primed and almost done cutting my eyes on my helmet. Back at it tonight. 

Your ab seems a little low. Use the butt and cod to determine the correct positioning.

If you’re working on expanding the thighs I would recommend shaping them too - top and bottom. This will help them sit higher.

You also need to create room for the knee plates.

You need to shape the inside top of the shins. Once the inside seams have been glued together you’ll then need to fill and sand the inside greeblie hole.

I have felt on the front inside of my spats. Not only does this help preventing scratching the shin paintwork it also helps keep them in position.

19 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Your ab seems a little low. Use the butt and cod to determine the correct positioning.

If you’re working on expanding the thighs I would recommend shaping them too - top and bottom. This will help them sit higher.

You also need to create room for the knee plates.

You need to shape the inside top of the shins. Once the inside seams have been glued together you’ll then need to fill and sand the inside greeblie hole.

I have felt on the front inside of my spats. Not only does this help preventing scratching the shin paintwork it also helps keep them in position.

Yeah I wasn't sure how low to put it. I'll raise it up next time.

I think a lot of the fitting issues on the legs is because of the thighs fitting so tightly and low. Expanding them should fix it all I hope. I'll be posting an update picture later.

Thanks for all the feedback. 

23 hours ago, JAFO said:

I shaped the front of the thighs using the cod as an outline.

Why didn't I think of this?! Great advice! I just eyeballed it and I notice now I could've taken more off.

23 hours ago, MStalkid said:

While I'm asking, how the crap did you attach your splats?!

One ony my spats just barely go onto the shin and is just pressure fitted on. The other one is too small so I have to sliiiightly overlap the shin and then secure the spat with small squares of velcro. You can either do velcro or if your spats are too roomy for that you might have to cut them up and trim.

23 hours ago, MStalkid said:

And how do you all attach the TD? Clips? Magnets? Snaps? 

2 strips of velcro, but I wish I did as Darren and went with magnets and some straps.

3 hours ago, MStalkid said:

Cut the thighs apart. Just followed the inside seam. Going to add and inch and a half which should give me plenty of space. Since its cut I think I might overlap them and use Velcro.

This would also be the screen-accurate way! :) 

On 10/14/2017 at 5:13 PM, Ensi said:

Why didn't I think of this?! Great advice! I just eyeballed it and I notice now I could've taken more off.

One ony my spats just barely go onto the shin and is just pressure fitted on. The other one is too small so I have to sliiiightly overlap the shin and then secure the spat with small squares of velcro. You can either do velcro or if your spats are too roomy for that you might have to cut them up and trim.

2 strips of velcro, but I wish I did as Darren and went with magnets and some straps.

This would also be the screen-accurate way! :) 

I got my thighs cut yesterday using the cod as a guide and it fits damn good now. Put the cod in place and followed the contour on the front which natural took the back down too. They sit a lot higher and are WAY more comfy.

Good to know about the spats. Ill probably just line them with felt and see what happens, if need be Ill add velcro or trim.

I think the TD will get magnets and stuff. Looking at pictures I think magnets will be the way for me hah.

Lots of progress over the weekend. I got the shins cut and trimmed, the thighs cut and trimmed, my blaster is ready for final painting and my laser ax is ready for glue/primering. Just need to finish the electronics now that I have the switches. Going to start gluing edges of of shins together, gluing shims in the thighs and making my snap straps/attachments tonight. My goal is to have everything ready for primer by Thursday night. If I can do that I can get 90% of it painted this weekend and into early next week. But I'm also going to go slow and make sure it's done right haha. So it may extend a little longer. Just the weekends are the days I can use a shop space for painting so trying to get it to line up how I can.

More picture dump coming tonight!!

• Like 2

Progress DUMMMPPP!!! After looking at photos and build logs (like Darren's :P) I got some progress!!!

DOjZ1Fu.jpg
Cod piece trimmed using Darren's advice.

j3YyJWg.jpg
Gluing on holster mount

9ChvVIy.jpg
Gluing shins together and greeblies. Inside top of shins are trimmed.

Q1KAUdR.jpg
Yoke reinforced

ZzNe2l6.jpg
Helmet, had to resmooth visor area

Rp5mrqB.jpg
Inset pieces of Laser Ax handle

qV07e5t.jpg
Laser Ax pieces cut and ready. Just need one or two more.

Tomorrow is gluing the rest of the greeblies on and starting to glue straps and the like. Hoping to have it all glued by Wednesday.

Edited by MStalkid

1 hour ago, First0rder said:

Your kicking butt on this build Matt!!! well done! .    For the Axe, did you make it yourself or purchased it? 

The ax is scratch built by me. Thanks I appreciate it. I'm trying to make this build awesome!

Last night I got the ab plate snaps glued in for the back closure. Finished gluing the greeblies and extras on the shins and other pieces. Going to finish installing all the snaps on my webbing and getting them into place. Excited to have this in a good place. Ha. 

Edited by MStalkid

21 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Coming along nicely

Thanks!. Hopefully I can get my kit on it's way towards yours.

Shins the gasket Velcro then they are ready for paint. Biceps need gasket Velcro. Spats are ready for paint. Hands need Velcro, knees need Velcro and the elastic cording. Thighs need the extensions, snaps and velcro. Gauntlets need Velcro. Cod piece and butt are ready to go. Chest needs mounting hardware and same with yoke. Ab needs snaps for harness mounts. Harness needs snap mounts. Td needs magnets.

That's about it for armor. My blaster is ready for paint and I'm getting the laser ax pieces cut and made so it's ready for paint. I don't think I'll get painted this week/weekend. But I should have everything primed and ready.

I'll post another test fitting after I get all the straps, closure etc.