New Character/New CRL?

Tee-Bowls

So, at this point, the only issue holding this costume back from being an official CRL is the boot armor not having visual representation? I would love to tackle a Cardinal armor at some point but that would suck that it can't be worn at LFL events, etc.

Hal, your Cardinal in the last few pics is INCREDIBLE, by the way. Excellent job! Have you followed up on the creation of the CRL lately? 

Edited by DEVOLVER

• 2 weeks later...

I think the "three consistent depictions, front and back" thing is also somewhat in play. Technically, a lot can be presumed from him being largely just a FOTK repaint, with a cape like the mirror image of Phasma's. The text clarifies some things, like what kind of blaster he wears on his thigh and that he has armor plates on his boots the same color as the rest of his armor... But what that armor looks like is presumption, based on Phasma. What color his boots are, likewise. What color his sidearm blaster is, too. His cape is tripartite inconsistent -- Del wanted it the same as Phasma's (direction and colors), as they're both First Order Captains; higher-ups disagreed and directed the cover art to mirror Phasma, the cape worn the opposite direction, and with a pewter-gray stripe, the stripe and armor colors inverted between them; then the B&N poster art shows no cape stripe at all.

So I can see the hangups on locking in a CRL, much as it frustrates me.

If LFL's reply is "same as FOTK armor, just in red", then I think we should presume they are regular FOTK boots, just in red.  What I really want to see is how you'd describe the cape in a CRL.

6 hours ago, Daetrin said:

If LFL's reply is "same as FOTK armor, just in red", then I think we should presume they are regular FOTK boots, just in red.  What I really want to see is how you'd describe the cape in a CRL.

Then LFL would be ignoring the text of the book, where her spat blood lands on the "polished plastoid" covering his foot, and that's not a good description of the leather boots TKs wear.

Well, they could and if that's the images they choose to release, and if the LFL person tells us that the images they'll use are red FOTK with a cape, that that's what we have.  A writer can create a character, but if the artists depict it differently we go with the visuals.

19 hours ago, Daetrin said:

Well, they could and if that's the images they choose to release, and if the LFL person tells us that the images they'll use are red FOTK with a cape, that that's what we have.  A writer can create a character, but if the artists depict it differently we go with the visuals.

That... kind of irritates me. One of the things that was supposed to be coming out of the post-Lucas era was more consistency between media, including consistent representation of characters and ships and such, overseen by people who paid more attention to stuff in the ancillary material than Lucas did. I truly hope they take the time to actually do the research and query the character's creator, rather than let artists do their own interpretation and sign off on it without examination. That's how we got the whole Storm Commando/Shadow Scout mess that's still being damage-controlled to this day.

My thumbnail of Cardinal is "mostly repainted standard TFA FOTK", with specific bits called out:

• Boot armor in armor color *ambiguity remaining -- boot color? armor design? cue taken from Phasma, being black FOTK boots with Phasma style boot armor, per author*

• Cape is mirror image of Phasma's in cut, hanging off the right shoulder, rather than left. 1" wide edge stripe is warm medium gray versus Phasma's red.

• SE-44c sidearm blaster rides the thigh holster. *ambiguity remaining -- casing color not explicitly stated or shown, presume armor red, by precedent*

• Doesn't usually carry F-11D after becoming Captain, but did early on. *ambiguity remaining -- buttstock or no? casing color? presume buttstock and armor-color casing, using Phasma as precedent*

• Also used riot baton in the book, for melee weapon option for events or countries that don't allow replica firearms. Should be TFA version.

Edited by Peregrinus
(missed bounding asterisk)
  • Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 12:38 PM, Peregrinus said:

That... kind of irritates me. One of the things that was supposed to be coming out of the post-Lucas era was more consistency between media, including consistent representation of characters and ships and such, overseen by people who paid more attention to stuff in the ancillary material than Lucas did. I truly hope they take the time to actually do the research and query the character's creator, rather than let artists do their own interpretation and sign off on it without examination. That's how we got the whole Storm Commando/Shadow Scout mess that's still being damage-controlled to this day.

My thumbnail of Cardinal is "mostly repainted standard TFA FOTK", with specific bits called out:

• Boot armor in armor color *ambiguity remaining -- boot color? armor design? cue taken from Phasma, being black FOTK boots with Phasma style boot armor, per author*

• Cape is mirror image of Phasma's in cut, hanging off the right shoulder, rather than left. 1" wide edge stripe is warm medium gray versus Phasma's red.

• SE-44c sidearm blaster rides the thigh holster. *ambiguity remaining -- casing color not explicitly stated or shown, presume armor red, by precedent*

• Doesn't usually carry F-11D after becoming Captain, but did early on. *ambiguity remaining -- buttstock or no? casing color? presume buttstock and armor-color casing, using Phasma as precedent*

• Also used riot baton in the book, for melee weapon option for events or countries that don't allow replica firearms. Should be TFA version.

This made me laugh so hard. They don't care about us or our thoughts. (or so it seems) I'm sorry but the inconsistency is evident by the movies being released. one movie builds this character up, and the next throws it away and calls is nothing...I hate it. I don't trust anything they say. its sad. the fan base is your money, idc what they think. and having the mentality that we (the fan base) have an opinion that doesn't matter, is going to get this franchise ban to the outer rim...its scary to know I could see the true death of Star Wars in my life time...

Edited by Commander Gree

Well, they used to add new clones via paint schemes just to gives us more costumes to worry about.  I heard in one instance they made a character's costume intricate just to see how fast it would be before a 501st member created it.

So, there you go.  We can complain, but it won't change anything, so might as well motor on.

• 6 months later...

My Cardinal is Finished and as far as Delilahs reaction goes, she says I look exactly as she wrote him. For me that's all I need. Its her character. He's named after her son. So even if the 501st never approves him, I'll troop with The Twin Suns (also a local LFL Group that requires NO CRL Approval to troop in Armor). It saddens me that they wont though. I have 3 Emails  from the GML;s all of which say that without 3 full body representations of him in Photo there will NEVER be a CRL. 

• Like 1

Don't give up Hal.  Elections are underway and there will be new LMO's in a few weeks, who may look at it differently.  The Reserve Pilot was based on a single trading card, and that's a CRL.

18 minutes ago, pixelArtsProps said:

My Cardinal is Finished and as far as Delilahs reaction goes, she says I look exactly as she wrote him. For me that's all I need. Its her character. He's named after her son. So even if the 501st never approves him, I'll troop with The Twin Suns (also a local LFL Group that requires NO CRL Approval to troop in Armor). It saddens me that they wont though. I have 3 Emails  from the GML;s all of which say that without 3 full body representations of him in Photo there will NEVER be a CRL. 

This has been the norm since I became a GML, you need at least to see full head to toe images or it can be based of a figure, like was seen with the black with red stripe first order Stormtrooper. As Paul has stated this may change with new command but it may not.

Congratulation on finishing it, hope to see some images soon.

1 minute ago, gmrhodes13 said:

This has been the norm since I became a GML, you need at least to see full head to toe images or it can be based of a figure, like was seen with the black with red stripe first order Stormtrooper. As Paul has stated this may change with new command but it may not.

Congratulation on finishing it, hope to see some images soon.

Mine is the one up there with Delilah Dawson :) I finished it back in March. I got to meet to Meet Delilah after and she offered to help with the process. But she also says she wont be doing anymore Cardinal stories as far as she knows. 

Just now, pixelArtsProps said:

Mine is the one up there with Delilah Dawson :) I finished it back in March. I got to meet to Meet Delilah after and she offered to help with the process. But she also says she wont be doing anymore Cardinal stories as far as she knows. 

I did see those but they are only part images ;) 

Truth.  All it would take it for some artist to draw you up and stick it in a SW comic or other source and there you go.  This is how the Magma Trooper (red TK) got created. Someone painted their TK red to a convention, an artist saw it and then got it created (can't recall if it was a figure or comic first).  Clone Emperor same thing.  Thomas Spanos created the costume based off a book, an LFL artist used Thomas as the template for creating the art.

Also, as I said the entire RP was created by a single trading card that had an ROTJ IC on it and the text below was "reserve pilot".  That's it.

Strange?  Perhaps, but TRUE!

8 hours ago, Daetrin said:

Truth.  All it would take it for some artist to draw you up and stick it in a SW comic or other source and there you go.  This is how the Magma Trooper (red TK) got created. Someone painted their TK red to a convention, an artist saw it and then got it created (can't recall if it was a figure or comic first).  Clone Emperor same thing.  Thomas Spanos created the costume based off a book, an LFL artist used Thomas as the template for creating the art.

The red Stormtrooper first appeared in the Spring '95 issue of Topps' Star Wars Galaxies magazine. It was a short story about Lumiya, set after ROTJ, when she was going around convincing defecting Imperial research facilities that to do so would be a mistake. To help accomplish this, she had a couple squads of Royal Guards in red Stormtrooper armor, called out as such in the story text and RPG notes in the sidebar, and illustrated as such for the story by Colleen Doran. This was right when the 501st was just starting. Not saying no one in the nascent club did this back then, but i doubt it.

Meanwhile, the Visual Dictionary, published in '98, mentioned the simple existence of the Magma Trooper, no description or illustration. It was someone in the 501st who decided the former was the latter, from apparently not doing their homework. It's an error I've spent years fighting to uncollapse.

Meanwhile meanwhile, the clone Emperor dates back to Dark Empire #2, from early '92. Tom Spanos did it before then to inspire the British artist?

• 1 year later...

Moving this thread over to the new Captain Cardinal section https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/228-captain-cardinal-build-threads/

• 2 years later...

As we have more interested in building this costume, hopefully we can finally get this one over the line.

• Like 2