New Character/New CRL?

Tee-Bowls

Maybe message them again, now that they're ready to gauge interest in a run. Attention to Vincent, to make sure. And ask if that's good, or if he'd rather you e-mailed so they can have all the interested parties in one place. I just have been in conversation with him over the "support@imperialboots.com" address since I first asked them on their site whether they were going to be doing this. I'm just an interested party trying to manage things so that this actually happens. Yeah, this is all pretty clumsy. IMO, it'd be easier if he were a member of this forum, but... *shrug*

I told him when he asked if I thought at least ten people would be interested that I personally only know of maybe four or five, including myself, and I wasn't going to speak for those others. He didn't give contact preferences for interested parties to let him know, so I'm just sort of making this up as I go.

• 1 month later...

newbie on these forums. following a few bits here and there.. like the idea of cardinal as im currently magma.

clicked the link above to try get in on some of the gloves from imperial boots and didnt realise the shop is shut for this run. no big, but it didnt allow me to email and say glove size or whatever and i have no contact details.. doh!

im more than happy to wait, just want to get the right details to the manufacturer (if i can even still get a set)

it did take my money.. just no other details..

could someone maybe email them to contact me please?

Craigorski@hotmail.com

cheers

TX-6576 santatrooper ;)

So I’ve read through this thread and I’m excited! I’ve been wanting to do a Cardinal since the book came out. 

My my question is has anyone reached out the the LMO’s to see if we can get an official “go” or “no go” on this as a 501st approved costume? Or are most of you going for an unofficial costume just because he’s so dang cool? 

Either way I’ve been printing my fotk armor but I haven’t decided 100% on what color I’m going to paint it. Obviously red with a cape is my personal preference ;) 

Edited by Bcarp100

There are several people working on builds. None of us are anywhere near finished yet. One of us (realistically, one of them, as I'm still waiting on ANOVOS -- I'll have everything but the armor and helmet by the time TLJ opens...) will the CRL exemplar.

Head over the the FOTK Builds subforum and check out Tee-Bowls' WIP to see how the RustOleum "Cardinal Red" paint I recommended looks. I think it's spot-on.

• 2 weeks later...

I took a whack at it, copy/pasting the standard TFA FOTK CRL (whew -- that was a lot of TLAs and ETLAs!) and tweaking it to match what we know from the two extant images, the text of the novel, and the author's comments. I haven't seen anyone who's working on the costume (including me) near enough to done for pictures, so I hadn't offered to send it off to our esteemed DL yet.

Hoping I'll have my kit and have it finished by end of January, but as of right now the only thing in my possession are the gloves. 

Is there an poll or something we can take over the boots? The boots seem to be the only area of confusion as there's no official image of them. But from what I am reading here (And is here "the" opinion for Cardinal so far?) we are favoring Phasma style armored boots over standard FO TK Boots?

Hoping I'll have my kit and have it finished by end of January, but as of right now the only thing in my possession are the gloves. 

Is there an poll or something we can take over the boots? The boots seem to be the only area of confusion as there's no official image of them. But from what I am reading here (And is here "the" opinion for Cardinal so far?) we are favoring Phasma style armored boots over standard FO TK Boots?

This thread is pretty much the clearing house of all that is known of him. I've been in sporadic contact with Del about specific details and clarifications (I don't want to be a pest, after all). Some things she's answered clearly, some less so. But she had the TFA Visual Dictionary handy as she was writing, and did a bit of flipping back and forth between the FOTK and Phasma pages. She hasn't noted all the differences in Phasma's armor that folks on here (Ingrid chief among them) have, but she did catch a lot, and it was at least in the back of her head as she was writing, even if she didn't call it out specifically. The text of the novel is the primary reference, that the artists for the back cover and the Barnes & Noble poster had to follow. She confirmed the cover art had to get her okay before it was locked. Less clear on the poster. So that's how I view them, in order of reference-ability.

I'll admit I haven't gotten as clear of answers as I had hoped, but she's busy and I know it's easy to miss clauses on the fly. For instance, I had specifically asked about the stripe that is red on Phasma's cape, gray on Cardinal's on the book cover, and absent on the poster. She confirmed there's supposed to be a stripe, but didn't specify color (which had been included in my question). Since I had her other commentary to help guide me, though, I am proceeding from "has stripe" and "book cover required her approval", thus gray rather than red.

For the boots... In the book, Vi is roughed up and spits blood on his boot. In her dazed state, her mind randomly focuses on the fact that her blood is a slightly different color of red from the "flawless plastoid" it landed on. So his boots are red, check. Some people interpret the flawless plastoid part as indicating that's what Stormtrooper boots (or at least the FOTK boots) are made of, along with the rest of their armor. I personally don't subscribe to this, as we have never seen plastoid to be flexible enough to make boots out of. I read that as indicating boot armor, probably at least somewhat like Phasma's. Del confirmed that, yes, she had Phasma's boot armor in mind when she wrote that.

Under that armor, though... *sigh* Phasma's Visual Dictionary boots don't look much like the D23 exhibit boots. The shadow makes it hard to see whether there's a separate heel, but the sole toward the toe looks a lot thicker on the dictionary boots -- more like the soles of the regular FOTK boots. There isn't enough info as to how the exhibit got put together, and we know the long history of stuff put together for promotional purposes (such as a photoshoot for the Visual Dictionary) that doesn't match what was on set, so the matter of what's "really" under Phasma's boot armor is something I feel might be an eternal conundrum. Heck, we already know she had at least two different capes.

But Cardinal is established throughout the book as being clean-cut, regulation-toeing, doctrine-adherent, straight-laced by-the-book. He has standard kit except where he was presented with something specifically authorized in deviating from it by General Hux, Senior. He would not have gone for the red armor, except that it was what Hux presented him with, etc. Hence, standard helmet, where Phasma ignored Hux and went with a prototype design she preferred and he had vetoed. Standard armor, where Phasma had her own unique chest armor, used the groin armor from the Flametrooper armor set, and ditched the normal spats at the ends of the greaves for a custom extention to accommodate her height. So I'd go with standard FOTK boots over the off-black suede numbers Phasma had in the D23 costume. And I specifically went with black versions over white, as it fits the rest of the look better. White boots would be a single glaring disparity among all the black and red.

Sadly, I can't show what this would look like yet. I've got the boots, but I'm still waiting on KB to send me the Phasma boot armor set, and I'm still waiting on the ANOVOS FOTK armor kit, to show how it looks paired with the standard greaves and spats versus Phasma's extensions. I've been itching ot go to town on this since September. *frustrated flounce*

Edited by Peregrinus

Someone asked for pictures? :) Dec 23. First Appearance of Captain Phasma and Captain Cardinal in the same place.... and World First appearance of Captain Cardinal. 

The Sandbox, PixelArts Props, and KB Props are to credit for the costume process for both costumes. 

KB Props supplied the Kit.
PixelArts Props built the Kits. 
The Sandbox is the Facility we all work out of. 

(Phasma built in 3 weeks, Cardinal done in 1) 

Edited by pixelArtsProps
making room for other attacments
  • Like 4