New Character/New CRL?

Tee-Bowls

So during Force Friday II the new Phasma novel came out. I don't want to give out any spoilers but there is a new character named Captain Cardinal. He is a captain in the First Order much like Phasma, however he is in charge of training and conditioning the younger recruits while Phasma is in charge of teenagers through regular troopers. 

Here he is on the special Barnes and Noble edition poster that came with the book.

img%5D

And here he is with a helmet on appearing on the back cover of the book.

img%5D

There are also some descriptions of him in the book. From everything I gathered the only difference between him and a regular FOTK is the Captain's cape and The red hue of everything he wears/uses. 

Would this even be an armor that could be approved? I was just about to start a FOTK and I absolutely fell in love with this character and his motivations. Plus him armor is pretty sweet lol. So before I get started trying to paint/dye everything red I wanted to check on here about it first. If not then I'll get to work on my normal FOTK so no harm no foul. 

• Like 2

I imagine that since it comes from a canon source, it is approvable - once the CRL entry for him is written. That also means *someone* has to be the first Cardinal - hint, hint. ;)

• Like 1

Awesome! Time to get to work. I wasn't sure if should even attempt it but now I know I should! Since the only difference between his armor and a regular FOTK is the color I might as well start a build thread for the majority of it on here so I can get help if I need it.

Edited by Tee-Bowls
  • Like 1

Normally a new to the legion costume needs full front, back and side images, either from photos or a figure, here is some useful info for you.

Here

Here

Oh thank you for the links! I was looking for them. So it's a matter of getting the armor built and submitting multiple angled shots for approval? If so that seems extremely doable. If not then I guess I'll have to wait and see if he shows up again somewhere else.  

19 minutes ago, Tee-Bowls said:

Oh thank you for the links! I was looking for them. So it's a matter of getting the armor built and submitting multiple angled shots for approval? If so that seems extremely doable. If not then I guess I'll have to wait and see if he shows up again somewhere else.  

Basically yes as well as supplying relevant reference images for the build, which in this case will be difficult with only a front partial image so far, but who knows they may make a figure of the Cardinal or he may appear in a comic, there could be more to be told ;)

Your GML (garrison membership liaison) will be the one submitting your photos to the LMO team so I would suggest involving him/her in your build

The red armor and cape would look great! You should get on the build and do it. If I had a second kit, I'd be interested in that too...

With that said, I don't see why with that artwork and story in the new canon, this couldn't be approved. Per the linked rules above you do need the multi angle visual references, however, as noted in the 7/13 McQuarrie update, this would be a good case where that rule could be applied - the backside should initially be "obviously inferred" - due to the cape - as a normal fotk (not withstanding what the novel may describe - I haven't read it.). From the art he looks just plain ol' fotk in red, and a cape...

And then, well if something further comes out in comics or he shows up in the movie, then update the CRL - remember we should be encouraging and inclusive to everyone and be common-sense flexible - without sacrificing quality and Legion integrity with all these new characters and canon that are coming on fast...

Plus if Phasma is FISD, why would an equivalent character have to be Spec Ops?

Good luck!

Transmission relayed by my DROID...

Thanks everyone. I'm going to get my helmet tonight so I can get started on this. If I end up having to move it over to Spec Ops I will but I know this forum is full of some of the most helpful troopers around so I'd like to stay if possible. I can't wait to get to work on this! 

Being a Phasma, and a Captain in this Universe, hes a StormTrooper. And the book Clearly states that. As Phasma is.
He is in all aspects drawn or portrayed as a FOTK in armor. And a Captain as Phasma is.
He sounds perfectly mean and cruel, and looks amazing! I'm excited!!!
Thank you for reaching out to me to create your seal harness and FO gaskets for you. And this cape!!!!!
I'm utterly excited to also create a cape that mirrors my Captain Phasma! His looks a bit different, but very doable! If you are doing this Bad Captain, I SO want to sew his cape for you! Having sewn and researched extensively my lady's cape, I'm excited to create his for you!
I'd like a bit more reference, and hopefully visuals will be forthcoming, but if this is a go, I'm happy to work with you on this Tee-Bowls.
:)

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Bah I just posted about this, I am also considering doing Cardinal. Everything points to him being basically just a red stormtrooper with a captain's cloak. And the cloak trim looks a bit more maroon then red. 

I talked to my GML and he basically said there wasn't enough info. But honestly the only thing you cannot see are his boots. But everything else points to him being a standard FO TK, just red. I am considering getting FO TK armor and just going red, and get the cloak. If it gets approved cool, if not it's still an awesome looking costume. 

Hopefully there will be a comic or action figure or movie flashback or something more of him. He doesn't die in the book (SPOILERS) so it's possible we'll see more of him.

Edited by jhpeyto

I wish there were more references for him :(, I was just about to start a build thread. I'm going to talk to my GML and see what they say about it. I might end up building a regular FOTK if I can't get approved with Captain Cardinal. 

Head over to Imperial Boots as they have an interest thread going on red items ;)

-------------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

On 9/15/2017 at 11:25 PM, jhpeyto said:

And I did, ordered a set of FO TK Armor. Gona paint that red, and get a Phasma Cloak made with a more maroon trim and see where that goes.

Good luck man! I'm going to start my build thread today. Only thing we can do is try! 

On 9/15/2017 at 8:04 AM, gmrhodes13 said:

Head over to Imperial Boots as they have an interest thread going on red items ;)

-----------------

I jumped on that thread as soon as I saw it! I already have a pair of TK7 and gloves too but I'm hesitant about dying them red so I'll have to wait for the run.

On 9/15/2017 at 7:22 AM, ukswrath said:

Oh my another CRL here we go

I hope so! Captain Cardinal really struck a chord with me and I would love for him to be an approved armor. 

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

23 minutes ago, Tee-Bowls said:

I hope so! Captain Cardinal really struck a chord with me and I would love for him to be an approved armor. 

Just get it done, and if he can't approved just show up to a troop anyway and just say you have no idea why your armor is red.

But you're going with a standard Episode 7 FOTK right? That is my plan. Think it might be best if we're all on the same page. 

The book refers to his blaster as a "gleaming red" and in a few places mentions him holstering his blaster. That implies a standard F-11D since there is no easy way to holster the larger Heavy or Phasma rifle version. IMO, it's safe to say that if you take the white parts of a standard F-11D and print/paint them in red, you are good to go.

4 hours ago, jhpeyto said:

Just get it done, and if he can't approved just show up to a troop anyway and just say you have no idea why your armor is red.

Check with your GML and CO first, some troops don't allow unapproved costumes at events ;) 

In Australia only approved 501st members can wear non approved costumes at certain events due to our PLI (insurance), recruits/cadets can not wear costumes.

42 minutes ago, tkrestonva said:

The book refers to his rifle as a "gleaming red" and in a few places mentions him holstering his rifle. That implies a standard F-11D since there is no easy way to holster the larger Heavy or Phasma rifle version. IMO, it's safe to say that if you take the white parts of a standard F-11D and print/paint them in red, you are good to go.

I've seen assumptions come crashing down in new to the legion costume threads in regards to new CRL's, although I would think his blaster his more a standard F-11D rather than Phasma there will still be no clear answer for the moment.

The book also specifically says that Phasma had her chromed-out heavy rifle (and sidearm - didn't know she carried one) manufactured in secret just for her, but nothing about Cardinal's blaster being anything more than a red F-11D. As indirect as that is, it still provides a bit more backing to the "it's just a red F-11D" theory.

In theory, being just a red FO TK it would belong here on FISD, however my guess is like the magma trooper - which is just a red TK - it will go to SpecOps.  In fact, given how things are going Legion-wide, it's also possible Phasma herself will go to SpecOps too.  Neither is a clean white TK which is our charter.  Dirty TKs go MEPD, rainbow TKs go to SpecOps has been the usual pattern.

To me the illustration is "meh", but as I picture it in my mind's eye it should be pretty striking in person when completed.  As a GML & former GXO, I'll echo that you should talk to your GEC or whoever is in that role for troops. Some garrisons are liberal, some not, and some it just depends on the event.  I know for my own garrison it would only be OK if we knew the costume was on the way to approval at the Legion level, as I'm sure this one will be as the CRL should just be a textual copy of the current FOTK, and would just need new pictures.

I'm getting everything staged to start this build, myself. Wanted to offer what I've gleaned from reading the novel, and bounce what I see off you folks.

• Phasma's armor differences are hers and hers alone. The altered greaves are because she's taller than standard, and like that. Her helmet is also a one-off, being a prototype design General Hux the elder rejected, but that she preferred. Cardinal is (for his life prior to and through most of the book) a party-line-toeing, perfect-paragon First Order Stormtrooper. He wears the standard approved armor and helmet. Just in red.

• Regarding which, I'm going with RustOleum's gloss paint-and-primer "Cardinal Red". The captured Resistance spy spits blood on his boot and notices in passing her blood and the boot are different shades of red.

• Even more relevant to the boots... The promo poster cuts off just below the knees. But the agent's spat blood hits "plastoid". Hence, to my mind, armor. So I'm doing my build with Phasma-style three-piece boot armor (in red) over black boots.

• He jabs his blaster in the agent's back several times, one-handed. This seems more in keeping with an SE-44C than an F-11. Between that, his training role aboard-ship, events late in the story where he takes a blaster rifle off a rack, and the poster art, I'm going with he has his sidearm, but normally doesn't go around carrying a rifle. And yes, per book description and others' mentions above, the casing is gloss red instead of white. I would have an F-11 as optional, and in standard black-and-white.

• Just specifically pointing out that the palms of his gloves are red instead of the standard white, also.

• Lastly, the cape. Both book cover and poster show it off the opposite shoulder as Phasma's. I am a little curious at how people are seeing the cape trim. From the instant I picked the book up in the book store the weekend it came out to right now, I see that stripe as a warm medium gray -- not maroon.

Oh -- and an additional thing. There are two more images floating around out there so far. One of Phasma and Cardinal in a firefight, and one (posted upthread) a close-up of him holding his helmet under his arm. Both of these are unofficial fan-art. Good, but not to be viewed as reference sources.

I had been accumulating to build a heavy-weapons trooper. Then this book came out. I'm glad now that I ran into delays. :)