Need help for UNREPAIRABLE Cracks

Hi folks,

I need to repair some cracks on my 3 year old TK armor, but they seem to be unrepairable because everytime reparations get broken. These cracks are in friction areas but also visible. I've followed some tips found here:

• CA glue
  • ABS paste
  • scrap ABS strips glued with CA glue or ABS paste

but they seem not to work. Can you help me before they get bigger?

Thank you in advance

I've attached the main ones

belt:

36930355996_416d1b0d4e_h.jpg

chest plate:

36283223814_600eac32cd_h.jpg

as you can see I put an ABS lump behind the chestplate as last solution, after tried with CA glue and scrap ABS strips, but has been vain..

36283221604_9d23d0ee26_h.jpg

You could rough up the back with sandpaper and apply fibreglass mat and resin, would give it some strength, I've used this on a set of clone armor I purchased which was trimmed too far and needed return edges putting back on. You just have to be careful not to use too much hardener in the resin as it can get hot while curing.

8 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

You could rough up the back with sandpaper and apply fibreglass mat and resin, would give it some strength, I've used this on a set of clone armor I purchased which was trimmed too far and needed return edges putting back on. You just have to be careful not to use too much hardener in the resin as it can get hot while curing.

Also for the belt?

ABS paste isn't a structural repair, just cosmetic.  You'll need to add something to hold the crack and stop it opening, moving etc.

Have a look at this, very popular method in my Garrison and in general.

32600697854_205438baaa_o.jpg

Armour - Repair by Christopher Pearson, on Flickr

Once you stop the crack, if you wish you can fill the front with ABS paste for a cosmetic fix.

Edited by themaninthesuitcase

I absolutely recommend the solution posted by themaninthesuitcase. :jc_doublethumbup:

I successfully repaired some cracks of my Anovos armor using that method. Instead of superglue I used E6000. 

Good luck with the repair!

Christian

I think the backing material is the key element in this kind of repair. It takes stress off the cracked area.

As an aside, when using cyanoacrylate (superglue)with ABS, add a little baking soda. It not only adds a little viscosity but will improve adhesion. <--Old biker trick. :)

Edited by Addertime

As stated by Christopher, the method he shows is a tried and tested one. I've used it a few times to good effect.

When using this method make sure the materiel is flat as the superglue will make any edges sharp and rough

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk