Blaster Master E-11 Build (With Pics)

SgtGarand

I got my blaster kit today and thought I'd share it's progress during the build. Will try my best considering my work schedule, but I'm sure it won't take me too long since I'll need it to eventually go for Centurion.

I'm not sure if he has a website for the kits, other than eBay. But you can check out his demo video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJbuJFXcrrM&t=14s

The online instructions for the building of this kit is found here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/snajmo4wxtklq9w/UBER BLASTER KIT INSTRUCTIONS.pdf?dl=0

For tools, I have pliers, exacto knife, metal needle files, gorilla brand super glue, and varying grits of sandpaper.

I first looked over everything once I got it back home and out of the box. The receiver section isn't shown because i had already started the assembly before thinking of taking pictures. lol

wmEZ3zE.jpg

The two sections joined and the supports in the bolt channel removed and sanded down.

KroglVE.jpg

While i waited for the glue time to dry, I spent some time on some parts in the next steps. Cleaned up the mag well and release button and set them aside for now.

1FaPVVu.jpg

I then started to clean up the other barrel section, making sure i hit the inside areas the best i could. Since I am going to include the electronics I needed to sand out the inside of the barrel itself so the LED assembly can be installed inside as easily as possible. Testing with the LED holders until they slide through completely.

AGG3KcZ.jpg

1FiAFNI.jpg

Before attaching the barrel section, I noticed the tab had broken off during shipping. It was an easy fix to glue back in place before joining the two parts together. Sitting them to the side to let the glue dry before removing the tabs with pliers and an exacto knife. For me the pliers worked well enough on their own and the knife was used to scrape off any excess glue or plastic bits from the tabs and from the 3D printing.

Ak40mv7.jpg

8ySGbNK.jpg

Give it a quick sanding to smooth out the edges from joining the sections together and to begin smoothing out the surface the best I can. I never worked with 3D printed items before but it definitely requires a lot of sanding for each part to get a somewhat smooth and uniform surface. I will most likely do the best I can and hit it with a coat of primer before paint to hopefully fill in some of the imperfections of the surface.

vRhwmVr.jpg

• Like 3

Well after I posted I decided to switch over to the electronics. Took a few hours to do as I tried to follow along with the videos and make sure I didn't mess anything up.

Thankfully everything worked as it was suppose to.

Pew

Leu1j3A.jpg

Set to stun

wmGncFp.jpg

Back to the build. I started today by cleaning up the holes in the barrel shroud. Some of them came out oddly shaped from the printing so unless I made them even larger it was impossible to get them perfectly round. I started sanding by hand but wrapping some sanding paper around a drill bit made quick work of what was turning into a tedious process.

t20kvBp.jpg

I installed the magazine well onto the side of the receiver then moved onto the magazine itself. The magazine latch assembled pretty easily. I made sure to reinforce the inside since you're bending the plastic when you install or remove it from the well. It snaps in quite securely which is nice.

Wh5Mlac.jpg

jBD5wx0.jpg

Moving onto the sights; I ran into a bit of a mishap when the front cover broke in two while removed the plastic filler. I sanded down all the parts before gluing them back together.

2MPPloK.jpg

The front sight post is an easy enough piece to glue on. The instructions mention using a dremel to cut a groove in the bottom sides to match the actual prop. Since I dont have a dremel i used my exacto and some files to get the same affect.

yq8WrNb.jpg

I placed some sandpaper against the shroud and slowly sanded the sight cover to create the same curve for a smoother fit before gluing in place.

hkJHgdk.jpg

TG5ml8h.jpg

The rear sight was also a rather easy assembly. Much of the time spent on each step is sanding and getting the plastic as smooth as possible.  When removing the filler from the bottom its easy to mistake the small post as part of the plastic to remove. This is needed when gluing on top of the receiver.

QEy6dHQ.jpg

Having the file set really is coming in handy and made it nice and easy to clean up the grooves and make the edges look more crisp. The flip sight needed to be sanded down quite a bit in order to fit. I made sure to align the edges with the small circles on each side; normally where a pin or screw would be to allow you to flip between the two sight apertures.

xpwQuyW.jpg

As I glued it into place i made sure to try and align it with the front sight before the glue set. Usually only giving me a few seconds at most before it wants to stay in place.

Efb13NP.jpg

Sanded down the two guards and the small post on the opposite side and installed those in place. For the guards I used the same technique to sand the mating surface to the same curve of the receiver/barrel before I glued in place. Gives a nice, flush finish.

AVQSCkB.jpg

I gathered up the next handful of parts to begin sanding: end cap and ring, release clip, bolt, and muzzle tip.

IAHHtGP.jpg

AGo2Os2.jpg

rHyL0do.jpg

The end caps took quite a bit of work. The notch in the receiver end was much smaller than the one on the ring. My flat file was pretty close to a perfect match and made it easy to measure when the notch was the size it needed to be. It still took some fine tuning to get the ring to fit onto the end. I managed to get it to a snug fit before gluing in place.

I985cAC.jpg

jr5Uv0V.jpg

oW2dMqx.jpg

I also filed down some of the material in the "J" sections which are used to lock on the end cap. I wanted to give the tabs more plastic to catch on since it will be under heavier spring pressure when pulling the bolt back. Mostly when showing off how cool your blaster is. ;)

Once the glue had dried for the ring, I installed the clip on the small flat cut out, making sure it was straight before the glue set.

XB7ovqx.jpg

The bolt was a bit tricky to fit in place as well. The two "rails" inside the receiver are a bit of a pain to reach once you glue the sections together. In hindsight I should have sanded it all down first. Oh well. I still managed to roll up some sand paper and get my fingers in the cut outs and sand along the inner areas. Sanding along the back side of the bolt was also needed. Once it could slide in place I dropped the spring in behind it.

BVI64XL.jpg

Gave the inside of the cap a quick sand to remove the small bits of excess plastic and smooth the surface. Slide on and then turn to install. The spring pushes it back into the hooked area.

hbBpRTW.jpg

EHIgCNg.jpg

Since I already test fitted the LEDs, I next installed the muzzle tip. Using a round file to open the holes on the back side, until they matched the ones in the cover. This is to make it easier to install the two hex screws. (after paint)

UrR01NH.jpg

TMydOik.jpg

Edited by SgtGarand
  • Like 1

Well after I posted I decided to switch over to the electronics. Took a few hours to do as I tried to follow along with the videos and make sure I didn't mess anything up.
Thankfully everything worked as it was suppose to.

Pew
Leu1j3A.jpg

Set to stun
wmGncFp.jpg

Back to the build. I started today by cleaning up the holes in the barrel shroud. Some of them came out oddly shaped from the printing so unless I made them even larger it was impossible to get them perfectly round. I started sanding by hand but wrapping some sanding paper around a drill bit made quick work of what was turning into a tedious process.

t20kvBp.jpg

I installed the magazine well onto the side of the receiver then moved onto the magazine itself. The magazine latch assembled pretty easily. I made sure to reinforce the inside since you're bending the plastic when you install or remove it from the well. It snaps in quite securely which is nice.

Wh5Mlac.jpg

jBD5wx0.jpg

Moving onto the sights; I ran into a bit of a mishap when the front cover broke in two while removed the plastic filler. I sanded down all the parts before gluing them back together.

2MPPloK.jpg

The front sight post is an easy enough piece to glue on. The instructions mention using a dremel to cut a groove in the bottom sides to match the actual prop. Since I dont have a dremel i used my exacto and some files to get the same affect.

yq8WrNb.jpg

I placed some sandpaper against the shroud and slowly sanded the sight cover to create the same curve for a smoother fit before gluing in place.

hkJHgdk.jpg

TG5ml8h.jpg

The rear sight was also a rather easy assembly. Much of the time spent on each step is sanding and getting the plastic as smooth as possible.  When removing the filler from the bottom its easy to mistake the small post as part of the plastic to remove. This is needed when gluing on top of the receiver.

QEy6dHQ.jpg

Having the file set really is coming in handy and made it nice and easy to clean up the grooves and make the edges look more crisp. The flip sight needed to be sanded down quite a bit in order to fit. I made sure to align the edges with the small circles on each side; normally where a pin or screw would be to allow you to flip between the two sight apertures.

xpwQuyW.jpg

As I glued it into place i made sure to try and align it with the front sight before the glue set. Usually only giving me a few seconds at most before it wants to stay in place.

Efb13NP.jpg

Sanded down the two guards and the small post on the opposite side and installed those in place. For the guards I used the same technique to sand the mating surface to the same curve of the receiver/barrel before I glued in place. Gives a nice, flush finish.

AVQSCkB.jpg

I gathered up the next handful of parts to begin sanding: end cap and ring, release clip, bolt, and muzzle tip.

IAHHtGP.jpg

AGo2Os2.jpg

rHyL0do.jpg

The end caps took quite a bit of work. The notch in the receiver end was much smaller than the one on the ring. My flat file was pretty close to a perfect match and made it easy to measure when the notch was the size it needed to be. It still took some fine tuning to get the ring to fit onto the end. I managed to get it to a snug fit before gluing in place.

I985cAC.jpg

jr5Uv0V.jpg

oW2dMqx.jpg

I also filed down some of the material in the "J" sections which are used to lock on the end cap. I wanted to give the tabs more plastic to catch on since it will be under heavier spring pressure when pulling the bolt back. Mostly when showing off how cool your blaster is. 
Once the glue had dried for the ring, I installed the clip on the small flat cut out, making sure it was straight before the glue set.

XB7ovqx.jpg

The bolt was a bit tricky to fit in place as well. The two "rails" inside the receiver are a bit of a pain to reach once you glue the sections together. In hindsight I should have sanded it all down first. Oh well. I still managed to roll up some sand paper and get my fingers in the cut outs and sand along the inner areas. Sanding along the back side of the bolt was also needed. Once it could slide in place I dropped the spring in behind it.

BVI64XL.jpg

Gave the inside of the cap a quick sand to remove the small bits of excess plastic and smooth the surface. Slide on and then turn to install. The spring pushes it back into the hooked area.

hbBpRTW.jpg

EHIgCNg.jpg

Since I already test fitted the LEDs, I next installed the muzzle tip. Using a round file to open the holes on the back side, until they matched the ones in the cover. This is to make it easier to install the two hex screws. (after paint)

UrR01NH.jpg

TMydOik.jpg

Good kit, who and where did you buy this kit?
I'ts a very good kit!
How much is it?

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 4 mediante Tapatalk

Progress has been slower during the week due to work, but I've still worked on it little by little each day.

The d-ring assembly is easy and I didn't experience any problems with it.

DzYaHHF.jpg

Filled in several gaps with the modeling putty, then installed the d-ring assembly

uHUZQDs.jpg

Quick coat of primer

YUB2kXg.jpg

My next set of parts was for the folding stock. I didn't think to take photos of them during the sanding and assembly of the stock pieces, but it only required some slight sanding to fit. Filled in gaps with putty, then primed and sanded smooth again.

IHmsZ3A.jpg

The parts got a wash and then painted the next day once they were dry. I gave several light coats, letting each coat dry before applying another.

wL7zjzF.jpg

The list of remaining parts is getting smaller now. Sanding down the scope parts, trigger group, pistol grip, and power cells. The grip and scope parts didn't give me any issues.

jgsoy73.jpg

xls4BlQ.jpg

SoseQxB.jpg

zIFgamW.jpg

Printed out the scope reticles provided in the instructions, then laminated them.

zHjMQwP.jpg

When sanding down the two halves of the trigger group, the two small plastic posts broke. The ones within the lettering for the selector switch. unable to find the pieces themselves, I made new ones using a toothpick of all things. sanding down the post to shape, cutting off a piece, then gluing in place. Once dry I sanded it down flush. I chose not to use primer so the lettering wouldn't be filled in and decided to go straight for paint after cleaning the parts to remove any remaining dust. I also opted to carve/sand out the recess for the selector switch. I will also paint that area silver, as per instructions and reference pics.

LVoInO2.jpg

Next up was the power cells. These are the last parts needed to be glued to the main body before I can paint it. These were trickier to sand smooth. I had to make use of the files to get into some of the tighter spaces, but didn't spend too much time on those areas since they won't be seen. For the caps, I had one of the posts break off, again, as soon as i used my exacto to trim off some excess plastic. The small piece was quickly lost in time and space; so I made a new one using the same toothpick as before. Once it was dry and sanded how I wanted it, it got a coat of primer and another light sanding.

r0WIgzG.jpg

Dp3o16h.jpg

3Mwrve5.jpg

Removed any primer from the area on the magazine well and then glued on the power cells. The instructions are unclear to an exact location so I used difference reference pictures to put it in a general area. Not letting the 'support beam' edge hang over, keeping distance from the main body so it doesn't interfere with the scope rail, and still allow access to the magazine release pin/button.

2PUnUrn.jpg

NjMnax1.jpg

Assembly of the Hengstler counter

eHO9Rvw.jpg

BLlS8hk.jpg

KgX0qVG.jpg

QRTTdnH.jpg

0Snx02G.jpg

Final parts added and hit with some paint before spraying

ERynZxx.jpg

Edited by SgtGarand
  • Like 1

Been busy with work and haven't been able to post any updates.  Now in the painting and weathering stage for many of the parts.

CvwIdhd.jpg

fxvkQlm.jpg

nsIMIKA.jpg

s5oL6Br.jpg

KDB5mQ7.jpg

0pb2SsX.jpg

JpU1FjT.jpg

EGmZyaB.jpg

JmBbgM0.jpg

MG1hZkp.jpg

1BLzkqB.jpg

Hand brushed the harder to reach areas

1No0CVp.jpg

fNepoTW.jpg

Had some mesh to add

R7zUQ9B.jpg

First coats

gxuHJwB.jpg

hP24w6Y.jpg

Stock assembled

77oN44g.jpg

W2C31Qi.jpg

LMmhNCX.jpg

Scope glued onto the rail

fvE9IYx.jpg

Edited by SgtGarand
  • Like 2

Thanks! I'm slowly getting closer to the end. Finished sanding the counter pieces and assembling the unit. Just need to paint remaining small parts and give it a clear coat.

I tried to click the link but tells me the page is not available

Thanks! I'm slowly getting closer to the end. Finished sanding the counter pieces and assembling the unit. Just need to paint remaining small parts and give it a clear coat.

I tried to click the link but tells me the page is not available
Oh that's odd. You can go to the main page facebook.com/trooperamp and look at the recent posts bud, it's about 3 down I think.

Home stretch and completion post!

Starting with the fit of the electronic components

rB3Hu6F.jpg

zLgngWI.jpg

cX1cYM1.jpg

Battery fit test

gyApgyM.jpg

Once everything fit, the trigger group was glued in place. I started gluing on the t-tracks that I painted with a rubberized undercoat paint.

Yta1C1A.jpg

The pistol grip soon followed. I'm using a 2 part plastic epoxy for these parts since it will support the rest of the blaster and will need to hold up to the use.

62izBp2.jpg

While i sat the body aside, I began to work on the counter and rail mounts. First attaching the mounts to the rail and then glued on the counter.

1JfX4K0.jpg

Op43h8i.jpg

After attaching the rail to the body, I began fitting the coils. Instead of using the supplied plastic coils, I had some wire from my chainmail project that was the same thickness and already coiled. Took a bit of time to bend the ends to shape but overall a secure enough fit that I decided not to use glue. Added on a few layers of paint and done.

Dka6663.jpg

zebdbSW.jpg

Glued the hex screws in place and weathered

ztIXP8b.jpg

Finally I attached the stock and completed the build. :stormtrooper:

jgImMNy.jpg

Tj25Adf.jpg

(will add numbers when I can get a TK number)

S5U5BcH.jpg

4msXwX5.jpg

EPpRx49.jpg

xsjONdE.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Home stretch and completion post!

... Once everything fit, the trigger group was glued in place. I started gluing on the t-tracks that I painted with a rubberized undercoat paint.

Yta1C1A.jpg

The pistol grip soon followed. I'm using a 2 part plastic epoxy for these parts since it will support the rest of the blaster and will need to hold up to the use.

62izBp2.jpg

Superb work on your blaster, well done. Electronics to boot as well, always a nice touch to take it to that level. I am curious to know what rubberized undercoat paint you used for the T- tracks as it will be helpful for me when I get to that part of my doopy build. Also, if you don't mind sharing, the two part plastic epoxy used for the pistol grip. Cheers, and congrats once again!

Thanks!

For the tracks I used a Rustoleum brand undercoating. And I forget the exact epoxy brand. Just found one that was for plastic. E6000 could have worked too if I had some at the time.

2 hours ago, SgtGarand said:

Thanks!

For the tracks I used a Rustoleum brand undercoating. And I forget the exact epoxy brand. Just found one that was for plastic. E6000 could have worked too if I had some at the time.

Great! Thanks for that tid-bit of information, every little helps. I'll stick with E-6000 as I already have that. As I've gained momentum on researching paints, I've come to conclude as well that Rustoleum is a good brand. Now you've further confirmed it, cheers!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I used a rustoleum brand spray paint. i chose to go with a satin finish overall to keep with a metallic look and then for weathering i used a silver model paint (such as Testors) with a dry brushing technique, except for areas i wanted to show more wear. 

• 9 months later...
  • 10 months later...
On 10/20/2019 at 12:33 PM, Grand Design said:

Can this blaster still be bought ? 

Ray released his model on thingiverse before he retired. I think it is still there.

If you have a printer or able to find someone to do a print for you.

Edited by giskard8
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I downloaded the files to print, and am so glad there's instructions up. 

Now I have to find a schematic/parts list for the electronics, if anyone has these or something similar, I'd appreciate it.

• 8 months later...
On 5/7/2020 at 5:41 PM, Mole said:

I downloaded the files to print, and am so glad there's instructions up. 

Now I have to find a schematic/parts list for the electronics, if anyone has these or something similar, I'd appreciate it.

Did you ever figure this out?  I purchased the electronic's kit from Ray before he retired along with his ROTJ blaster kit but never was able to finish it.   I may be able to provide the electronics kit if it is something you still need.

Edited by jenmcnitt

• 2 years later...
On 1/11/2021 at 9:59 PM, jenmcnitt said:

Did you ever figure this out?  I purchased the electronic's kit from Ray before he retired along with his ROTJ blaster kit but never was able to finish it.   I may be able to provide the electronics kit if it is something you still need.

2 and a half years later, not sure if you may still have that electronics kit... long shot to ask, but figured I try. I got the Blaster-Master files from MyMiniFactory and I am close to halfway done the assembly. I REALLY would love to have the electronics in it, but I'm having a hard time finding something. Maybe you know of an alternate?