A wee bit frustrated - need advice and tips

Hi everyone!  Well, as we get close to finishing our builds, ran into a minor challenge, but one that has proven to be a little frustrating.  It deals with the rivets and strapping to join the left side of the ab and kidney pieces.  I've seen all sorts of methods from just placing the rivets for show and using snaps separately to join the two to actually using the rivets as part of the mechanism to join the two parts.  I went with the second option but found that there was just enough play with the straps that the two  pieces still showed a slight gap (despite precise measuring).  Questions:

1) what is the acceptability of even the tiniest of gaps between these two pieces at all three levels of approval?

2) What have you all found to be the most effective method to connect these two pieces (considering final look and troopability), especially if no gap at all is the requirement?  I've seen numerous examples but trying to see what's best.

Thanks!!

1, Basic: Not mentioned (within reason)

EIB: Any gap between the abdomen and kidney armor is no more than 1/2" (12.5mm) wide

Centurion: Ideally there is no gap between the abdomen and kidney armor.

2, I use heavy elastic, with cap rivets and snaps, with strips of ABS glued to the elastic so they don't twist. I found you need to make the holes in the elastic slightly smaller so there is already some pull in the elastic, once on it's pretty tight and doesn't seem to come apart, but then again I don't have much meat on the bones. On my other kit I didn't use snaps, just elastic, cap rivets and ABS strips glued to the elastic.

Thanks! I should have mentioned the gap is only a couple of millimeters at best, but as you noted, doesn't look like that will cut it for centurion.  I'm using nylon straps instead of elastic with the thought that it eliminates some of the stretch factor that could lead to a gap. Maybe I'll give it another go but really focusing on making the holes in the straps really small so as to cut out any additional movement of the straps and therefore a gap.

I found a unique solution for this because I wanted no gap but I also wanted no shifting between the pieces.  So I put in the rivets and snap required but they are just for show.  To connect ab to kidney, I use velcro plates.  I put 2" strip of loop side on the inside of ab and also inside of kidney, so there's basically a 2" wide section of velcro along the whole side of each part.  Then I took parking sign and made a 4" plate that I put the hook side of the velcro on.  So these plates sit inside the ab/kidney connection on each side, velcroing 2 inches of each side together.  It holds really nice, prevents shifting, and allows me to kit up with the pieces aligned perfectly and then they don't move during troop.

I could never get the straps to close as perfectly as I wanted so this was what I came up with.

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the feedback.  My OCD has been a bit of a challenge on the builds and probably causing me to judge our work too harshly.  I'll go back and retry my original solution, but use smaller holes on the straps and use elastic instead of nylon (thinking I can pull the elastic tighter and it provides the needed give to stretch when we are getting in and out of the kits or need to open the torso fully).  And if I wind up with a minimal gap, I will just breathe deeply and move on! LOL

42 minutes ago, bobafret said:

I found a unique solution for this because I wanted no gap but I also wanted no shifting between the pieces.  So I put in the rivets and snap required but they are just for show.  To connect ab to kidney, I use velcro plates.  I put 2" strip of loop side on the inside of ab and also inside of kidney, so there's basically a 2" wide section of velcro along the whole side of each part.  Then I took parking sign and made a 4" plate that I put the hook side of the velcro on.  So these plates sit inside the ab/kidney connection on each side, velcroing 2 inches of each side together.  It holds really nice, prevents shifting, and allows me to kit up with the pieces aligned perfectly and then they don't move during troop.

I could never get the straps to close as perfectly as I wanted so this was what I came up with.

Hi Dave - do you happen to have a picture of the setup?  I was also thinking of a setup using Velcro and then the rivets were installed just for show as well.

OCD and stormtroopers don't mix haha. You are probably over thinking it. It seems you have it sorted out, but if you are still I'm doubt post some pics and we can tell for sure.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

48 minutes ago, allan1313 said:

OCD and stormtroopers don't mix haha. You are probably over thinking it. It seems you have it sorted out, but if you are still I'm doubt post some pics and we can tell for sure.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Yeah, I started to realize that after I got started and saw the ears on the helmet were just never going to sit 100% flush  and by then, it was too late to turn back :laugh1:.

I'll see if I get a chance between tonight and tomorrow to give it another whirl and I'll definitely post some pics.

• Like 1

OCD and fandom are a perfect match. It may not matter in the approval process but if it matters to you, spend the time to make it as perfect as you need it to be.:duim:

Edited by Addertime

16 minutes ago, Addertime said:

OCD and fandom are a perfect match. It may not matter in the approval process but if it matters to you, spend the time to make it as perfect as you need it to be.:duim:

Nice way to look at it!! :duim:

35 minutes ago, Addertime said:

I couldn't agree more..  

Thanks for all the help guys.  I'm thinking I got it!

Here's the setup I was using...

fso4A5l.jpg

And here's the result I got...

AgDjUuN.jpg

ITnjdwL.jpg

It still leaves me the ability to open the torso in order to get in and out without any rubbing, however, I can't completely open it like I have seen others do (both chest and back pieces lay flat on the floor when opened like a clam).   My brother's wound up with just a wee bit of gap (see below).  Some of the challenge with his armor is that we have to cut from the abdomen and then reshape the kidney/butt to fit his slimmer frame, so I think it's keeping the two halves from coming together at a level angle.

3GmWO9m.jpg

It's about 2mm at the widest point, but thinking that when the belt is on, it will help close some of it to where is it still OK for Centurion?  Could someone confirm before we lock down the rivets?  

Looking great, Gary!  If I could make a suggestion, it would be to (carefully) sand down the heads of those rivets so that when you paint them it will adhere a LOT) better.  I suggest masking off the area around them with painter's tape so that you don't scratch your armor.

• Like 1