Any tricks for removing split rivets?

Ragtooth

Trying to remove the six split rivets on the Left ab and kidney armor to replace the straps with slightly longer ones.

I've tried messing around with pliers, etc but found that that's fatiguing the plastic around head. Also tried cutting with dremel but the heat was starting to melt the plastic. 

I may just cut the straps, install new hardware (on the inside so nothing visible outside) and be done with it.  That way at least the six rivets will still show. 

Thanks  

I've used a flathead screwdriver to get under it and a little twist to push up ends of rivet. Certainly you can cut the straps because the inside doesn't matter anyways.

I used a dremel cutting wheel. Just went at it slowly so it doesn't get too hot.

I bought new rivets from Trooperbay which were more malleable and turned out I could get those out by bending with pliers.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

A set of needle nose pliers or wire cutter and a small screw driver can be used.

First lift the tails of the rivet using the screw driver to the position where you can use the needle nose/ cutters to finish squeezing the tails to their original form.

Diagonal Cutters "Side Cutters":
c8f244f4438df474bb52a1796949c03e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your collective input thus far.

These rivets were installed by RS Propmasters and they are hard as sh** steel.  

--Prying it is tough because as you mess with the legs, it torques the head from side to side which causes the head to dig in and start damaging the armor.

--The heads are flush on the outside so it's impossible to get a set of plyers to hold the head without scratching the armor.  Plus there's barely any surface on the side of the rivet as it is a dome shape.  

--I was able to pry off the one set of legs that I did manage to cut into with my dremel but there is just remaining metal to prevent the rivet from popping out.  I'd have to drill it out - which may cause more heat/melting issues.

--I've also tried bolt cutters but can't get the teeth to grip onto the legs.  

AAAARRRGGGGGHH!!!

I'll try those side cutters but don't think that it will cut through the rivets.

If that doesn't work, I think I'll leave "well enough alone" and work around it.   My understanding is that for Centurion level approval, it doesn't matter what mods or hacks I do to the inside as long as the outside is "canon".

Thanks again!

• Like 1

Thanks for your collective input thus far.

These rivets were installed by RS Propmasters and they are hard as sh** steel.  

--Prying it is tough because as you mess with the legs, it torques the head from side to side which causes the head to dig in and start damaging the armor.
--The heads are flush on the outside so it's impossible to get a set of plyers to hold the head without scratching the armor.  Plus there's barely any surface on the side of the rivet as it is a dome shape.  
--I was able to pry off the one set of legs that I did manage to cut into with my dremel but there is just remaining metal to prevent the rivet from popping out.  I'd have to drill it out - which may cause more heat/melting issues.

--I've also tried bolt cutters but can't get the teeth to grip onto the legs.  

AAAARRRGGGGGHH!!!

I'll try those side cutters but don't think that it will cut through the rivets.

If that doesn't work, I think I'll leave "well enough alone" and work around it.   My understanding is that for Centurion level approval, it doesn't matter what mods or hacks I do to the inside as long as the outside is "canon".

Thanks again!

The ones I had to cut out were RS as well.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ragtooth said:

I don't think you need to use the wire cutters Aaron showed as a way to actually cut through the rivets, (GREAT idea, BTW).  All you need to do is use them to pry up the "legs" of the rivets inside enough to be able to grab them with a set of pliers to straighten them out.  After that, they should slide out.

Great post by Aaron. I second the pliers. I managed to mangle a split rivet within a popper (approx 4mm tall) - left less room to get under the 'arms' of the rivet but it came out okay in the end. :-)

• Like 1

• 6 years later...
3 hours ago, Zinfer said:

Is replacement a normal maintenance cycle?  On my second year trooping and all 6 internal rivets are heavily rusted and staining stored thigh armor.

Not that I've noticed. Mine are fine after 10 years of trooping, albeit I added a small amount of silicon to the inside so they don't catch on the undersuit.

For anyone needing to remove split rivets this is a great How To