Help...dye bled into Armor

Hey all,

Been searching the forums and asked some folks from my garrison but no luck so far, kind of stuck on issue in the subject line.

I trooped a while back and for a number of not good reasons didn't unpack my kit when I returned home.  I did open the lid to air it out by my wife shut it that night when she was doing some painting in the garage (it's heated and a good space for working on projects not cold and damp).  I then went on an extended business trip so bottom line 4 weeks later I open my case and see the below.  I left my neck seal on that area of armor and it seems like some of the dye bled into the ABS.  Not sure how it could bleed into the ABS but it isn't on the surface as I've spent a significant amount of time using NOVUS 3 trying to get it out without much success (looks a little lighter than when I started). 

I've heard some suggestions from sanding with fine grit sandpaper to finding some white dye (which is harder than you think!).  I've also been told just to accept it and turn it into a sandie, as most of the kit is still shinny I would prefer not doing that if I can reverse or correct the blue streak.59a34d4c272e7_TKchestbled.thumb.jpg.7e45ae44f157ea8a873c05e2bdd4359a.jpg  

Any advice would be appreciated!!!

Rob

• Like 1

Hey all,

Been searching the forums and asked some folks from my garrison but no luck so far, kind of stuck on issue in the subject line.

I trooped a while back and for a number of not good reasons didn't unpack my kit when I returned home.  I did open the lid to air it out by my wife shut it that night when she was doing some painting in the garage (it's heated and a good space for working on projects not cold and damp).  I then went on an extended business trip so bottom line 4 weeks later I open my case and see the below.  I left my neck seal on that area of armor and it seems like some of the dye bled into the ABS.  Not sure how it could bleed into the ABS but it isn't on the surface as I've spent a significant amount of time using NOVUS 3 trying to get it out without much success (looks a little lighter than when I started). 

I've heard some suggestions from sanding with fine grit sandpaper to finding some white dye (which is harder than you think!).  I've also been told just to accept it and turn it into a sandie, as most of the kit is still shinny I would prefer not doing that if I can reverse or correct the blue streak.59a34d4c272e7_TKchestbled.thumb.jpg.7e45ae44f157ea8a873c05e2bdd4359a.jpg  

Any advice would be appreciated!!!

Rob

Depending on how desperate you are to get the dye out, you can try Cif, which is like a kitchen tile cleaner. It has little particles that super lightly take dye and stains out of armour. USE IT SPARINGLY THOUGH, as the stuff will take the luster off if you use too much

Sent from my Wileyfox Spark using Tapatalk

I had a similar problem once before and use some cutting polish called T-Cut, it's used for removing light scratches, a bit of elbow grease and it was gone, good luck

Yeah I feel for ya. I had this happen to my shoulder bell and had no idea why it happened. It has been discussed here before but you have been given some great ideas so far. I hope it comes out. 

But I wouldn't want to become a sandy either. You could always just replace the chest as a last resort. Good luck!  Let us know how you make out. 

Perhaps using some Novus plastic polish and a lot of elbow grease would work it out. Novus #2 is the go-to for removing scuffs, so it may work here as well.

Thanks all!!  Looks like I will be doing some research and testing with the mineral spirits, CiF and T-Cut.  They all sound like good, localized applications to correct the problem and that is my desire.  If one of those don't work I can always look at painting although replacing the chest piece...'shutter'...seems like a last resort.  Was using fair amount of Novus 3 so not sure the 2 would make much more progress. 

Will let you all know how it goes!

I've encountered this problem recently as well when my new under suit bled into all of the contact edges of the plastic.

I've tried the following:

• Novus #2 - Only takes off the tiniest amount of discoloration.
  • Fine sandpaper and Novus #2 - Same result as just the polish alone 
  • Mineral Spirits - No effect whatsoever
  • Household cleaners (Windex, 409 and Cif) - Virtually no effect

My next step is to try a diluted bleach solution but my hopes are not high.  I'll report back later today.

I've read that some have good luck with 'magic eraser', but no personal experience with it.

I had some bleed issues with my Anovos undersuit before I got it replaced, and I was able to get it out of my armor with Novus #3, then #2, and lots of patience

3 hours ago, Addertime said:

I've encountered this problem recently as well when my new under suit bled into all of the contact edges of the plastic.

I've tried the following:

• Novus #2 - Only takes off the tiniest amount of discoloration.
  • Fine sandpaper and Novus #2 - Same result as just the polish alone 
  • Mineral Spirits - No effect whatsoever
  • Household cleaners (Windex, 409 and Cif) - Virtually no effect

My next step is to try a diluted bleach solution but my hopes are not high.  I'll report back later today.

Additionally, I just tried:

• Mild Bleach/water solution - No effect, although I didn't let it soak for very long. 
  • Oxyclean spray - A flash of inspiration sent me to the laundry cupboard. This worked the best of the things I've tried thus far but it didn't entirely remove the stain.

In the end, the acrylic capped front of the plastic is about 30% better than it was but the the dye obviously leached into the plastic along the cut edges and I don't see that it will ever come out. Fortunately, my issue is more minor and less visible than the OP. 

• 5 months later...

All,

Been a while and with RL haven't been on the forums as much as i should.  That said I've been working on the armor and although I don't have an IP thread I do have a 90% solution (see photo). 

Essentially after using nearly all of the processes discussed earlier in the thread (T-cut was the one i could not get as it seems the white version was only available in England) with little improvement spoke to a couple of folks at my garrison and strangely enough Daetrim who attended one of our Garrison Titan monthly meet and greets.  Finally decided to sand it.

I started with 800 grit paper, but progress was slow.  So i cheated a little and used my dremil's polishing attachment and accelerated the process.  After i got the bulk of the dye out i went back to 1200 grit paper, then 1500.  When it looked like i had gotten the main dye streak and the other 'shadow' streaks (in the original photo to the left and below the big streak) out i shifted to Novos 3, 2 and then 1.  I definitely have some more polishing and buffing to do but it is much improved and should be ready for ECCC.

Thanks for all the suggestions!  

IMG_20180217_101118471.jpg

• Like 2