Trooping - public interactions and come backs

Mikeyg

Hi guys.

I'm seeing daylight on my TK build and hopefully will soon be trooping.

I'm likely to be the only trooper in my region so when I do get out there, I won't have the back up of experienced troopers with the general public!

At 5.10" I'm still likely to get "Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper" quote coming my way and at 90kg, likely "aren't you a little fat for a stormtrooper" too!! :) (altho I am working on that one!)

Just wondered if troopers just take it on the chin or if there are any clever come backs people might have along with any good tips for general interaction.

It depends on the trooper and the event.  If there are a lot of kids around, I am more chatty.  If it's mostly adults, I try to stay in character.

Hey Mike!

Glad to hear that you're nearing the end. The build is an adventure and all the things you learned and experienced will be good conversation pieces later. :)

Have you contacted the UK Garrison yet? It's likely that there are troopers near you wherever you are and you'll need to go through you local garrison for 501st approval so reach out to them: http://www.ukgarrison.co.uk/

As for the, "Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper," thing, there's a thread around here on this topic with tons of great standard lines and suggestions. 
:smiley-sw013:

• Like 1

I agree with Paul. Yes, on occasion Troopers will have to take it on the chin, however this is why you should travel in twos or as a section/squad.

I'm lucky that I stand 6'2" in my armor, and like to come to my shorter Troopers defense with responses like:
"And your the perfect size to be thrown in a cell block rebel scum"

Or walk up behind them while they're addressing their "too short for a Stormtrooper" comment, and say "Yes, but I'm not - now move along civilian"

If there's kids around then I give the " I got my eyes on you" gesture, which usually gets them laughing.

The best part of Stormtrooper armor is that it's the image already looks intimidating so if you simply just stare at them saying nothing to them after their comment, then they start to get confused and walk away (make sure to maintain staring at them as they do so, as others watching will sometimes start to laugh at them for being cheesy.)

Have a great time out there Trooper and good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

One of our heightwarldy troopers used to carry a version of a swear box, but this one said "FINE FOR CALLING ME SHORT" and each time someone said the short joke he would produce it and ask for payment, it all went to charity ;) 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Addertime said:

Hey Mike!

Glad to hear that you're nearing the end. The build is an adventure and all the things you learned and experienced will be good conversation pieces later. :)

Have you contacted the UK Garrison yet? It's likely that there are troopers near you wherever you are and you'll need to go through you local garrison for 501st approval so reach out to them: http://www.ukgarrison.co.uk/

As for the, "Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper," thing, there's a thread around here on this topic with tons of great standard lines and suggestions. 
:smiley-sw013:

Hi mate.

Yeah, I'm on the UKG forum and building with guidance and in accordance with the UKG (as I'm from there) but I currently work on deployment with the British Forces in Cyprus.

There's nothing 501 based out here so once I'm done I'm going to try and see about starting an outpost here.
I'll likely have to stump up flights to the UK and take my suit for a full induction tho.

Wish there was something here! Been difficult sometimes relying on the videos and waiting for armourer updates on my posts.

A nice armour party with local troopers would have been nice!! :)

• Like 1

If I had a nickel for every "aren't you a little short..." I had tossed at me, I'd have several more armor kits.  That line is a popular one, even if you are not all that short.  I assume people think they are being clever and original, having no idea we hear it all the time.  At second place is "these are not the droids...".  Its all good and light hearted.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Shanester said:

"these are not the droids...". 

Occasionally after someone takes a photo with me, I ask to see their phone and announce "This is the droid we've been looking for", or "I think I had my eyes closed".  Always gets a laugh or at least a big smile.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, justjoseph63 said:

"I think I had my eyes closed,"

That's one of my favorites. It's best when it has to marinade for several seconds as they process what they heard... and then the lights go on. ;)

As for the, "Aren't you a little short.." comment, I say, "I don't know, I'm taller than Mark Hamill."

Edited by Addertime
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

One of our heightwarldy troopers used to carry a version of a swear box, but this one said "FINE FOR CALLING ME SHORT" and each time someone said the short joke he would produce it and ask for payment, it all went to charity ;) 

I'm gonna have to make myself something like this lol.  I'm 5'8" and I KNOW I'll be having this short comment being thrown at me lol.  This is a great idea!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Addertime said:

As for the, "Aren't you a little short.." comment, I say, "I don't know, I'm taller than Mark Hamill."

That could very well be the best "Aren't you a little short..." comeback I've ever heard!

• Like 4

Being all of 5'7" in armor, I've heard the "short for a trooper" line many times now.  My comebacks depend on the troop, really.  I've done the following in response to the line:

• staring silently until they walk away
  • "Shhhh! (then taking them aside, whispering loudly) I'm with the Rebellion, and you're gonna blow my cover!"
  • (said very, very seriously) "The Empire is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against height."
  • "I was crushed in the trash compactor last week and am still recovering."
  • "But I make Lord Vader look tall.  He appreciates that."

I'm sure that I'll come up with others the more I troop.  I didn't think I'd enjoy being on the short side for trooping, but I've really had fun with it!

• Like 5

To add to some of the great comebacks here are some more:

"Aren't you a little short to be a Stormtrooper?"

• I fought Obi Wan but he had the high ground
  • I was sat on by Jabba the Hutt
  • We can't all be Chewbacca
  • I was stepped on by an AT-AT
  • I'm a distant relative to the Ewoks so...

• Like 2

The one that bothers me the most is the "shot me! I bet you miss" or something about aim.

my main comebacks are:

1.  Law of averages say that I'm eventually going to hit something. Are you willing to take the chance that it's you? 

2.    We were ordered by Lord Vader not to shoot the Rebels  on the death Star. Do you know how good of a shot we really had to be to make them think that we were trying to kill them? 

3.  We missed because it's part of the new empires anti-bullying campaign. If you notice it is the rebels that keep hitting people so who  are the true bullies of the Star Wars universe? 

Those are my main ones but usually I just talk a lot of trash. 

4 hours ago, scottdm62 said:

The one that bothers me the most is the "shot me! I bet you miss" or something about aim.

Just kill 'em with humor....

Q: What do you call a Sith Lord who's afraid to fight?

A: A Sithy

Q: What do you call Chewbacca after he's eaten a candy bar & has chocolate in his fur?

A: A chocolate chip wookie!

Q: How to Ewoks communicate?

A: With Ewoki Talkies!

Q: Who was the first Mexican Jedi?

A: Juan Kenobi.

Q: Why did Episodes 4, 5 & 6 come before 1, 2 & 3?

A: Because in charge of directing, Yoda was.

Thankyou, I'll be here all week!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, scottdm62 said:

my main comebacks are:

1.  Law of averages say that I'm eventually going to hit something. Are you willing to take the chance that it's you? 

2.    We were ordered by Lord Vader not to shoot the Rebels  on the death Star. Do you know how good of a shot we really had to be to make them think that we were trying to kill them? 

3.  We missed because it's part of the new empires anti-bullying campaign. If you notice it is the rebels that keep hitting people so who  are the true bullies of the Star Wars universe? 

To that one, I reply that ANH was a Rebel propaganda film.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, scottdm62 said:

my main comebacks are:

I like your last one :)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, scottdm62 said:

The one that bothers me the most is the "shot me! I bet you miss" or something about aim

13 hours ago, BigStick said:

Just kill 'em with humor....

Kill'em with humor...exactly. Stormtroopers not being able to hit anything is popular joke with a lot of Star Wars fans. There are memes galore on the internet about that topic lol.

I can see how it can bother someone when they are suited up. Just remember, it's all in fun and don't get too flustered. Some people may be heckling you to be mean and others could just be picking at you in a nice way. 

Here are some good comebacks! (Have fun with the people picking at you)

"Hey Stormtrooper, you can't hit anything!!!" 

• I stared at the Death Star Laser too long
  • Neither can Han Solo...Anymore
  • We don't need to hit anything, we have Darth Vader (good one if Vader is trooping with you)
  • Tell that to the villagers on Jakku.
  • Oh yeah? Alderaan thought that too.
  • Silence Rebel Scum!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jayben Kenobi said:

"Hey Stormtrooper, you can't hit anything!!!" 

*  "I hit a bird once"...

*  (This one is kind of dark, and not a response for kids)  "Ask Luke's aunt and uncle about that".

• Like 3

3 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

*  "I hit a bird once"...

*  (This one is kind of dark, and not a response for kids)  "Ask Luke's aunt and uncle about that".

HA! Oh I love that... lol

• Like 1