"Tall" TK gap issue / General Armor fit questions

StevenBills

Hey all,

I finished my Anovos kit some time ago (almost a year?!), and I absolutely love it. I've worn it to a few parties, and I'm working towards 501st approval, but I have a few issues with how it fits on me. I'm 6' 1", so a little on the tall side, and whenever I stand up straight, I get a gap between the chest and the ab pieces. While this doesn't bother 99.999% of Joe Public, it bugs the crap outta me. Does anybody know how I can fix this? Below is a pic to show what I'm talking about.

59a181ec7d192_abgap.thumb.jpg.c90f656f7f45c1626ccd98379a025b3f.jpg

So I think I know why this might be happening, (not including the fact I'm a bit taller). I used the Anovos strapping system, and so the thigh armor snaps to the cod piece, which is attached to the ab plate. So after a while of walking around, the weight of the thigh pieces has a tendency to pull the ab plate down slightly. I'm thinking about going to a garter system for the thighs, but other than doing that, does anybody have any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

SB

Edited by StevenBills

Strap your thighs to a belt you wear inside the armour, outside the under suit. And strap your ab to the chest. And adjust the shoulder straps to lower your torso enough to be comfortable. All the weight of the torso should rest on your elastic shoulder straps, while putting 0 tension on the plastic shoulder strap covers.

• Like 1

You must be tall (> 6').  You can also cut the cod, add a spacer, and glue it together.  It will be hidden by the belt if the fixes from Mathias aren't enough.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, all. I am going with a garter belt system and I'll see how that helps. I'm sure it'll help a bit, but I just may need to add a spacer underneath the belt as well. We'll see. I'll post pics as we go.

SB

Edited by StevenBills

• 2 weeks later...

Alrighty, I got one of Ty's garter systems in the mail and love it. I also adjusted the chest to sit lower on the ab section. But I have a question about the thigh armor gap. How much is too much for acceptance into the 501st? About where should it be?

#crotchshot :huh:

59b492750d028_tkthighgaps.thumb.jpg.4cc42c04b9bb07b863d9cdf4f1787803.jpg

Edited by StevenBills

Looks like they are uneven at the moment, perhaps even them up and also show the gap between your thighs and shins.

I would also check in with your GML (garrison membership liaison) after all it will be he/she ultimately approving your costume ;) 

Looks great, Steven!  I swear by the thigh garter system, and it's so danged easy to put on.  Really nice job on that build, and I believe you could get to EI and Centurion without much effort.  One thing I see that jumps out is the 4 button panel on the ab plate.  Depending on how you attached it (hopefully E-6000) it should be removed and trimmed flat, like the ANH screen used one in the photo below.

Although not an approval issue, you can trim down or (even completely remove) the return edge on the inside of the thigh tops.  Some folks find that it can chafe, especially on longer troops.  Best of luck on your approval! :jc_doublethumbup:

O1nVfoj.jpg?2

• Like 1

I am 6'2" with Anovos and have no issues with chest/ab gap. What you can do it give the back plate a hot water bath at the shoulders to make them a little flatter. Then make your shoulder elastic that connect the chest to back a little longer. It will still be covered by the plastic shoulder straps and should create a little more space for you.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, all. @gmrhodes13, I guess I wasn't super clear with my image. I was wondering which leg looked better in terms of the gap, the left or the right. After fiddling around with it a bit, I think I'm going to go with the smaller gap. This also helps out with walking, as it lifts up the thighs so that I can bend my knee a bit more. I have a slight cutout on the backs of the thighs, but I'm wondering if I can do more for ease of movement. I don't have a picture handy, but I'll get one in the next few days.

@justjoseph63, thanks for the heads up on the buttons. Luckily it's all E-6000'd on. I'll pop it off and sand it flush. Also a good point about the upper thigh return edges. Those aren't required? If not, I'll definitely be taking those off to ease movement and fit (thick thighs here lol).

And @Allan1313, I have seen people do the hot water bath on the backplate to help eek out an extra cm or two. I'll have to give that a shot. 

Also another general question: would it be okay to trim the neck return edge a bit in towards the corners, so that it blends evenly into the shoulder straps? I get a bit of neck bite from these two corners. See the pic below for illustration.

59b60e7d0d06c_tkchestbite_small.jpg.4ad528a358e968a1e83f0bcf5f51a8cf.jpg

Thank you to everyone who has replied thus far. It's really helpful! I'll update later with some more pics as we go.

SB

Also, how do I attach more than just a teeny-tiny image?! This is driving me bonkers. I had to compress this one to smaller than 30kb in order to attach it to this post. What am I not seeing here?

1 hour ago, StevenBills said:

Also another general question: would it be okay to trim the neck return edge a bit in towards the corners, so that it blends evenly into the shoulder straps? I get a bit of neck bite from these two corners. See the pic below for illustration.

59b60e7d0d06c_tkchestbite_small.jpg.4ad528a358e968a1e83f0bcf5f51a8cf.jpg

Thank you to everyone who has replied thus far. It's really helpful! I'll update later with some more pics as we go.

SB

Also, how do I attach more than just a teeny-tiny image?! This is driving me bonkers. I had to compress this one to smaller than 30kb in order to attach it to this post. What am I not seeing here?

Yes you can trim that. In fact, you should.

We don't really offer members much hosting space for images, so what you should do is upload them somewhere else, like on imgur, and then link them to your post.

Alrighty, I've uploaded this pic elsewhere, so size should no longer be an issue. I trimmed the two corners around the neck as well as the return edges around the tops of the thighs, although I don't have a pic of that.

dvygw4x9.jpg

I'm taking my submission photos on Saturday, so wish me luck!

SB

You can bring the kidney plate up a bit and/or the upper back plate down a bit so that the gap space between the butt/kidney and kidney/back is more or less the same. But that's a fitting tweak and shouldn't affect your application for the purposes of 501st membership at tne basic level.