Do Mods/Hacks on the Inside Armor Affect Centurion Level?

I think this is a silly question but I'm new.... 

For Centurion level judging, does it matter what I do to the inside of the amor if the outside meets 100% of the specs?  

I want to place some velcro (about 2" x 2") on the inside of the ab and kidney plates for temporary purposes but don't think I want to run the risk of trying to yank it off as I may damage the armor.

Thank you!

10 minutes ago, themaninthesuitcase said:

So long as it's not visible from the outside you are free to add stuff like that on the inside. One of the cooler things I've seen are storage bags in the back plate.

That is brilliant! 

22 hours ago, themaninthesuitcase said:

So long as it's not visible from the outside you are free to add stuff like that on the inside. One of the cooler things I've seen are storage bags in the back plate.

Dang that's a genius idea!

Many people do different things with strapping systems too, or putting speakers in their chest.  Take a look at old bucket threads, some like me having nothing in them.  Some have more money in their helmet than the helmet cost.

On 8/26/2017 at 5:40 AM, themaninthesuitcase said:

Any links to the back plate storage idea please? I cannot find any...

4 hours ago, Mr V said:

If I could throw in my 2 cents worth on this...

I thought about that when building my first set of armor.  I also thought about someone's idea where they used a pouch that hung around their neck to hold a wallet, phone, etc.  The truth is that I just keep these items in my bin.  I have been on countless troops, and never, ever felt uncomfortable about doing this.  99% of the time, the bins are kept in a secure area, and I don't even lock it.  We tend to be a very honest, respectful bunch of folks, and I trust my fellow 501st brothers and sisters implicitly.

Once in a great while bins are stored in an area where the public may have access (this is very rare), so I just lock it and keep the key on an elastic band around my wrist under my glove.

If you want to keep your phone on you at all times (as some do) it should be turned off during a troop, and if it is in your backplate you couldn't get to it anyway.  Just food for thought....

• Like 2

Fair points but unfortunately a trooper lost a couple of hundred dollars recently from what we thought was a secure room. In my books, prevention is better than cure.

7 hours ago, Mr V said:

Don't think there's much to it. I'm going to try to find a waterproof pouch that fits in the back plate and attach it using Velcro or snaps. 

Since I'm working towards HWT, I may even try to use one of my HWT mag pouches for storage.  I'll remove the threads that divide the pouch into three compartments making it one big one.  Obviously this may not work for higher level approvals but may work for trooping. 

10 hours ago, Mr V said:

I actually put a small pouch in my chest where most people put their speaker (my speaker is behind the ab button section). The first pouch I had was a cheap dollar store one and the zipper broke after the first troop I used it at, so my wife made me a pouch the size of my phone which has velcro sewed onto one side. I usually have my wallet and phone in it and I'm able to take the phone out when suited up if I take my glove off first. Of course you can't actually do this while trooping, but during down time if I want to take a picture I can do so.

Most of the time it's not necessary to carry items in the pouch but some events the bin storage area isn't that secure, so it's more peace of mind to have them on me.

Here's a picture of the old dollar store pouch that I first used. It's hard to see, but there is some velcro behind where the zipper handle is on both sides (when it's open and when it's closed) to prevent it from knocking against the chest and making noise.

chest-pouch.jpg

Well, there are times at a con or a longer troop where carrying a wallet/phone/glasses or even a hotel key are ideal.  The neck wallet is something I like because I don't have to take my armor off to get my money and buy a coffee. The magic drop box is a nice idea if all you need is a credit card and hotel key.

So if it's a canon event I go with the neck wallet, otherwise I like having a side pouch (I have a plastic one that Terry Chui made, and a leather one Darman made).  This way I can put all my stuff in there (like my reading glasses) and can be gone for hours at a time, self-sufficient.   I guess once I'm suited up I don't like having to take anything off to get to my things.

On 02/09/2017 at 9:11 AM, justjoseph63 said:

Once in a great while bins are stored in an area where the public may have access (this is very rare), so I just lock it and keep the key on an elastic band around my wrist under my glove.

I use a pair of combination padlocks so I don't have to worry about a key, but as said I generally don't feel the need.  In fact I've left it open on purpose a few times so people at a large con had access to my field repair kit (which really helped a RL member).

As for the "kit" I think it was ISD (now closed but the owner is running a less single focus business so may still do them) or RWA. It's not overly complex, so I am sure any one with a vac machine could knock one up very quickly.

On 8/25/2017 at 9:40 PM, themaninthesuitcase said:

I have all manner of stuff velcroed in my bucket and chest plate but the best storage facility I've found is a wife in an Imperial Officer uniform with belt boxes. ;)

• Like 2

I have all manner of stuff velcroed in my bucket and chest plate but the best storage facility I've found is a wife in an Imperial Officer uniform with belt boxes.

A wife in a tie pilot flightsuit has lots of pockets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...