CableGuy's DoopyDoos (feat. T-Jay kit) ANH E-11 WIP

CableGuy

6 hours ago, shadan said:

This is next level stuff. It’s been amazing watching your progress. I’m building my first E-11 soon but doing a basic trooping one. But after that... I’m going to have to do something like yours for display. Not that I think I’d get close!

Many thanks, Shaun. I’d recommend the mods if you have the time and patience. :-)

6 hours ago, Dracotrooper said:

Jaw-dropping awesomeness! It looks like cool metal in most parts and the interplay of matt black and gloss black along with conservative amounts of weathering and use of silver has taken your blaster to the next level. Even with a few follow-up touches still needed, VERY impressive Dan. I don't have a trained eye but to me, it looks like the real deal not a resin copy; your attention to detail has truly paid off. I take it, you only have one or two more posts - spoil us with pictures!

Thanks, buddy. You are far too kind. :-)

Yeah, I’m really pleased with the variety of finishes too. I mainly followed Tino’s first build for the paint types. :-)

5 hours ago, Steftroop said:

Well done Dan...you've done a cracking job and I've learnt alot from your build...I'm very proud of you lol emoji3.png

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Cheers, Stef. That’s very kind, and I look forward to seeing yours progress. :-)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tarok said:

Dan,
Have thoroughly enjoyed following your build. Well done mate!

Sent from my DH77 using Tapatalk

Thanks, Rudi. It’s been a pleasure sharing it with such a nice community. :-)

Really a beautiful blaster Dan! :jc_doublethumbup: Very nice and believable weathering, too. Hard to add something now, that has not already been said.

For the final touches I kindly suggest to paint the green stuff on the trigger guard and add a light washing to the parts in shiny silver and brass. Just a little bit to dull it down.

Anyway, your blaster is another good example of what can be achieved with a standard DoopyDoo's full resin kit - and skill. Not advertising for it, but you started with one of the simplest resin kits available and look what you have turned it into.  :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:  I really love the result!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, T-Jay said:

Really a beautiful blaster Dan! :jc_doublethumbup: Very nice and believable weathering, too. Hard to add something now, that has not already been said.

For the final touches I kindly suggest to paint the green stuff on the trigger guard and add a light washing to the parts in shiny silver and brass. Just a little bit to dull it down.

Anyway, your blaster is another good example of what can be achieved with a standard DoopyDoo's full resin kit - and skill. Not advertising for it, but you started with one of the simplest resin kits available and look what you have turned it into.  :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:  I really love the result!

Cheers, Tino. It's an honour to hear those comments from you. :-)

You and the other pioneers of blaster mods can take a lot of the credit. As so many people say on this very forum, research is key, and I've had a huge amount of inspiration from previous, and current, builds. Your kit has really helped to bring this to life, along with the welcomed encouragement and suggestions from the community. 

I'll be making those final tweaks to bring this to a close, including the ejection port, weathering the scope screws and brass parts, weathering the trigger guard/trigger and painting the greenstuff. Need to attach the front lens, too. 

I used the 'white crayon' technique this morning for the scope text. I'll be sure to post some more photos, hopefully some daylight shots, when these little finishing touches are complete. 

Best wishes, 

Dan :)

1 hour ago, sla73 said:

Well done Dan, a great looking blaster! And done in record time too! - I love blaster builds!

Many thanks, Bryn. I've just refreshed my memory of your build - it really looks superb. I'll try to get my ejection port/bolt colouring as good as yours. :-)

Cheers,

Dan :duim:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tennantlim said:

Fantastic work Dan! Your attention to details paid off and I'm glad you didn't overdo the weathering. You should be proud. 

Hi Tennant - thank you. Your's was part of the inspiration I mentioned above. (...and yes, it's possible that your's and Tino's completed blasters 'may' have featured on my desktop background at some point)... :)

I think a pipe build with similar components to your will be my next project. Your finished blaster is exceptional. I'm especially taken with your Snaggletooth Hengstler. If I'm honest, I think my Doopy's counter is the weak link of my blaster and might be due an upgrade (already). ;-)

Thanks for your feedback. Much appreciated. :-)

Dan 

12 hours ago, CableGuy said:

Hi Tennant - thank you. Your's was part of the inspiration I mentioned above. (...and yes, it's possible that your's and Tino's completed blasters 'may' have featured on my desktop background at some point)... :)

I think a pipe build with similar components to your will be my next project. Your finished blaster is exceptional. I'm especially taken with your Snaggletooth Hengstler. If I'm honest, I think my Doopy's counter is the weak link of my blaster and might be due an upgrade (already). ;-)

Thanks for your feedback. Much appreciated. :-)

Dan 

I am very flattered Dan. Thank you.

Dennis' replica counters are highly recommended. I got a real one from him soon after I completed my build and it is very hard to tell the replica apart from the real one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ayen_s said:

Congratulation on finishing the blaster Dan. Your meticulous research and talent show in the end product. 

Many thanks, Syahrin. I'm following your build with interest too. Can't wait to see how you incorporate the electronics into the Doopy's. :-)

Hi all.

So, greenstuff around the trigger guard is now painted, satin black.

I’ve started working on the bolt colouring. I’m reasonably pleased with it but will take another look tonight.

Point of interest - the ‘fake’ part of the bolt that sits next to the cocking handle is made using MDF (wood). Annoyingly, the surface is quite porous/absorbent. This makes it hard to have a consistent appearance with the resin and ABS parts in the ejection port. As such, it’s very likely that I’ll remove the top couple of millimetres of MDF and replace with two strips of 1mm ABS. This should allow more consistency. :-)

39f08dc8519e656b3d0ff3fd7f2a7c47.jpg

6b0b0b2a80ce6900a4eceb6cb5dcd852.jpg

1bf428b077bbfbdd25308d175512d2a8.jpg

I’ve put this in for UKG blaster clearance. If it clears, I’ll submit for armour clearance too. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CableGuy said:

Point of interest - the ‘fake’ part of the bolt that sits next to the cocking handle is made using MDF (wood). Annoyingly, the surface is quite porous/absorbent. This makes it hard to have a consistent appearance with the resin and ABS parts in the ejection port.

Hey Dan,

A great primer coat for MDF is white glue thinned to a (foam) brushable consistency. Don't get it too thin as water will make MDF swell. A couple coats with 220 grit sanding in between and you should have a solid surface to paint.

• Like 2

On 11/22/2017 at 11:52 PM, CableGuy said:

Many thanks, Bryn. I've just refreshed my memory of your build - it really looks superb. I'll try to get my ejection port/bolt colouring as good as yours. :-)

Cheers,

Dan :duim:

Thanks Mate, that build seems such a long time ago... Am loving all the great new tweaks and build techniques in all the latest builds!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Reklawcj said:

Hey Dan,

A great primer coat for MDF is white glue thinned to a (foam) brushable consistency. Don't get it too thin as water will make MDF swell. A couple coats with 220 grit sanding in between and you should have a solid surface to paint.

Thanks, JC. Great tip. I might give that a go before replacing with ABS. 

Many thanks,

Dan :-)

• Like 1

Hi all,

What a day- my blaster AND armour all got cleared for service today. I’m officially a 501st Imperial Stormtrooper. :-)

4bf4fd6322f7a85b22102fd680c9a928.jpg

Although I might do some little bits down the line, I think my blaster is pretty much done for now. It’s been a thoroughly enjoyable project, and my huge thanks to out to the wonderful contributors to my thread, specifically Tino, Jesse, Chris and Brian. Of course, I appreciate everyone’s input along the way.

Cheers guys. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 11

Wow,  Congartulations and welcome to the ranks. Totally awesome. I hope you have a great time in your armor and with your amazing blaster. Well done!  Sorry I haven’t been active much these days to comment along your build. I was going to recommend to paint or replace the screw head that secures your scope rail to the rear sight but it’s not necessary. just something I thought might help hide the silver screw head, blend in with the rest of the blaster. Again , just a suggestion but certainly not needed, you already got cleared so bask in the glory of your accomplishments. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, CableGuy said:

(...)   What a day- my blaster AND armour all got cleared for service today. I’m officially a 501st Imperial Stormtrooper. :-)    (...)

Woohoo, congratulations on this double-achievement! :jc_doublethumbup: Can only imagine how great this must feel, mate. After all the work, you deserve it. Have a fantastic weekend.

• Like 1