Hello... long time listener, first time caller.

So, I am about to finally get started on my first armor build. For a couple years I have been researching supplies needed, techniques and the proper armor attributes needed to have the approval of the 501st legion. The biggest block in the road of my journey this far has been coming up with the appropriate funds needed, as many people know. But fortunately the time has come and the time is now.

I have heard, or read on these forums and discussion boards, to try and stay away from eBay when it comes to not always getting what you want when I comes to the quality of armor pieces. So I am not going to start there. As I wasn't going to, to begin with. Mainly impart to purchasing an armor kit at a reasonable price.

Now, and so as it is I am feeling partial to the Anovos, ANH (A New Hope) Stormtrooper kit for $450. One thing that I am worried about is the thickness or gauge of the ABS. I really am looking for the actual gauge ABS used in the films. Nice and sturdy. Also, the kit is also available currently with "soft goods", such as a two-piece black under jumpsuit, neck tubing with shoulder piece, and rubber gloves similar to screen worn gloves. The kit with soft goods is $650.

I am reluctant to purchase the soft goods, thinking I should piece those items together one by one on my own. To make sure everything is screen accurate.

Finally, I am looking for opinions and experienced advice. For I am going to get the Anovos kit for $450, as a base. If I have that kit I think I will be able to use that as a good start to build on.

Well hello and thanks for calling in to FISD!  You're  on with starsaber25 and friends.  

So I have not looked at the anovos deal in a little bit but I thought their kit was in the $650 range. But I may be wrong. Also just be aware that it may not be available currently and you will have to wait until it is. 

Anovos in the grand scheme of things is a good kit. Many people have been happy with it. I have heard some people who complain about its durability and it is prone to cracking. If you haven't maybe look into AP, ATA, WTF and MTK as well. And yes please stay away from ebay unless it's MTK. Ask any other questions you may have. Have fun and good luck!

There is a long wait currently for Anovos.  I've been waiting since February.  I've also recently heard of people waiting in excess of one year. Had I known this I would have bought from one of the others. I've thought about canceling my order , not sure how long it would take to get my money back.  I think I may just get some more money together and order another from Walt. WTF.  He is currently at about 650 USD. just for armor , no soft goods. But I'm getting the impression that I will end up with better armor and only 6 to 8 week delivery.  Well worth the extra money if you ask me. Waiting for Anovos isn't cutting the mustard.

Otherwise , most people say that Anovos armor is not bad if you take care it. Pretty much the same with all of it. Reinforce the heavy wear and tare areas with some scrap ABS. 

Anovos at $450 is a good deal.  Don't bother with the soft goods you can find better stuff for cheaper.  Neck seal, gloves and bodysuit are NOT a $200 venture.  More like $100 and you'll have better quality.

The plastic of Anovos is thinner than other armor, and can be prone to cracking or stress marking.  However, I built Anovos for my daughter and it has held up well over the past year.

I personally have AP armor and it is substantially thicker.  WTF has been getting a lot of love around my Garrison as well.

I would suggest reaching out to the vetted makers via email to get a feel for current pricing and wait listing.  

Have fun on your journey to armor!

On 8/20/2017 at 2:53 PM, tydirium1 said:

Walt. WTF.  He is currently at about 650 USD. just for armor , no soft goods. But I'm getting the impression that I will end up with better armor and only 6 to 8 week delivery.  Well worth the extra money if you ask me.

With Walt you will definitely be getting a great set of armor no doubt.  Several Troopers have taken his kits to Centurion level and they look incredible.  Plus, like you mentioned, 6-8 weeks is nothing compared to a possible one year for Anovos.  Plus, Anovos does not supply replacement pieces if you need them.

For $450.00, the price point is great.  The ABS is thinner than most, but (as Tom mentioned) it can be reinforced in the areas prone to cracking.  My main armor is AM, but I jumped on the Anovos bandwagon and used it for my Hero build.  I haven't had any issues, but I really don't wear it that much.

If you do go with Anovos, I strongly recommend ditching the flimsy canvas belt that is included and replacing it with a heavier duty one.  The holster is actually really nice, though.  I would also not use the Velcro strapping that they include and go with the snap system.

I used to be a radio talk show host in another life, so your thread title naturally intrigued me. <g>

You didn't say anything about your size.  Some armor works better for taller/huskier body types.  I got AM specifically for that and because the ABS was thicker.  The seller is fantastic to deal with, and when he's doing a run of armor the wait time is negligible.  In fact, when I ordered my armor I was about to go out of town and actually asked him to DELAY shipping till I got back from my trip.  The trip was only a week and a couple days, but the armor arrived just a few days after I got home.

He's also quick to respond to any questions or issues you have.  Can't recommend AM highly enough.

A.J.