xaos314

Hi... long time listener, first time caller.

So, I am about to finally get started on my first armor build. For a couple years I have been researching supplies needed, techniques and the proper armor attributes needed to have the approval of the 501st legion. The biggest block in the road of my journey this far has been coming up with the appropriate funds needed, as many people know. But fortunately the time has come and the time is now.

I have heard, or read on these forums and discussion boards, to try and stay away from eBay when it comes to not always getting what you want when I comes to the quality of armor pieces. So I am not going to start there. As I wasn't going to, to begin with. Mainly impart to purchasing an armor kit at a reasonable price.

Now, and so as it is I am feeling partial to the Anovos, ANH (A New Hope) Stormtrooper kit for $450. One thing that I am worried about is the thickness or gauge of the ABS. I really am looking for the actual gauge ABS used in the films. Nice and sturdy. Also, the kit is also available currently with "soft goods", such as a two-piece black under jumpsuit, neck tubing with shoulder piece, and rubber gloves similar to screen worn gloves. The kit with soft goods is $650.

I am reluctant to purchase the soft goods, thinking I should piece those items together one by one on my own. To make sure everything is screen accurate.

Finally, I am looking for opinions and experienced advice. For I am going to get the Anovos kit for $450, as a base. If I have that kit I think I will be able to use that as a good start to build on.

Bawhahahaha love your title!

Welcome to the great FISD mate!

I can sense your enthusiasm and commitment to screen accuracy.

Just like most things - cheaper is not always better. That being said the Anovos kit is approvable and is a great starter kit.

If you're looking for something a little more sturdy, then you can find great kits available from our vetted makers - they cost a little more but have found to be worth every penny!

You can check them out here:

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/11538-the-various-types-of-armor-and-where-to-find-them/

Which one will suit your needs more, well you can find that out by checking the build threads and see what the kits look like more up close:

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/31-costuming-and-builds-501st-approved/

You mentioned screen accuracy, and the FISD offers a EIB and Centurion program that can be achieved if you want to go the extra mile!

Stellar to have you aboard, and have an epic build whatever path you choose!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Anovos kit should be just fine, Jonathan.  There are a few "caveats" with them (long wait time, no replacement parts, poor communication etc.) but the kit itself is a good deal for the price.  I would steer well clear of their "soft goods" package, though.  WAAAYYY overpriced.  You can get the items you will need for a lot less through vendors on here or even Amazon.

Another thing I would seriously consider is ditching the Velcro they supply to connect the various armor pieces ("strapping") and the flimsy canvas belt that is included.  Their holster is actually really nice, though.

As Aaron mentioned, the Anovos kit can be brought up to EIB and Centurion standards without all that much extra effort, and although not required, they really do make your armor look a great deal better (not to mention screen accurate).

There are a lot of great Anovos build threads here, and IMHO the best is Tony's (ukswrath) https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/35086-ukswraths-anovos-tk-build/  He used the "classic" strapping system, (brackets) but you can substitute the snap system.  

If you are looking for a kit that is more "heavy duty" I would suggest some of the other vetted sellers here.  The ABS in the Anovos kit is fine, but tends to be thin in some areas and can lead to cracking.  Reinforcing those areas with scrap ABS will help prevent this, though.

Please don't think I'm bashing Anovos.  I have one I built for my ANH Hero, and although I don't troop in it that often it has held up well.

Hello and welcome, some great suggestions so far, research is the key and cheap isn't always the best, good luck with what ever you decide

Welcome to the FISD Jonathan!

Could you turn your radio down we're getting some feedback:laugh1:

Glad to see you interested in being as accurate as you can. It will serve you well in your build!

Good Luck Future Trooper!:duim:

Welcome aboard! Just completed my anovos kit and I love it. The newer kits come with a better helmet and the belt unassembled which is perfect for replacing it with the Rob Kittel belt. I didnt use any of the strapping that came with mine, i bought everything from Joanne fabrics as well as the MrNostripes bracket set. Lots of great info here and youtube. Checkout TK1636 videos on youtube and Ukswrath's build thread, excellent build sources. Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard. These guys are dead on. I have Anovos and it has served me well. There are many good makers out there.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

On 8/20/2017 at 5:00 AM, gmrhodes13 said:

Hello and welcome, some great suggestions so far, research is the key and cheap isn't always the best, good luck with what ever you decide

This is what it boils down to really.  Research your options, find what is best for you.  Ask questions, start a build thread to keep questions and pictures organized.  Help is here if you need it.  Good luck! :salute:

Looks like my fellow Troopers have given you great advise the one thing I will add is this. "Buy the most expensive kit you can afford" if that makes sense. While the Anovos kit is a great deal for the price you'll wait for a year and a day without communication. Their lack of customer service is well documented. You can go to one of the many vetted makers here that will give you a kit in many opinion better, in a third of the time. (Whats your time worth?)   Continue to due your due diligence with research and ask questions. Good luck!

I could not have said it better than what Joseph wrote above. I feel exactly the same way as he does. 

At the end of the day you have to choose the armor that makes sense for you and whatever situation you feel would be best for you. 

You have all the information available at ur fingertips here on this forum. 

Welcome to FISD!

Nothing more that I can add that hasn't already been said. In the end, when researching kits, you get what you pay for :)

Welcome aboard!  There's a plethora of great sellers, so definitely check out the vetted sellers list!  I know how long it can take to get the funds to finally jump in, but it's soooo worth it when that brown box finally arrives :)