TK Amor allowable torso "Side" Gap ??

Ragtooth

Hello All,

Was just able to try on my RS Propmasters full commission TK armor after a long 5 month wait.  However, the complete torso (clamshell style) seems to be a bit small.  Lengthwise it's fine but it doesn't exactly "close" on the open side - about 2-3" off.  Maaaaybbee it has something to do with the 10 or so "elbows" that I gained whilst waiting for the past 5 months (and tons of business travel).  

So assuming I can adjust the hardware, is there an allowable "side gap" allowed for purposes of the 501st or do both sides have to meet?  I thought I've read people adding a strip of ABS to fill in the gap.

Any suggestions would be great.

Hi Sergio,

congratulations to your armor. RS is making great quality. Though adjustments are needed if you buy a fully commissioned armor that is not made to your individual size. 

For a basic approval a small gap should be no problem. But if you want a more accurate look close it. Installing shims is the solution... or reducing your size. ;)

• Like 1

As Christian mentioned, a small gap should be no big deal for basic approval.  BUT.. since RS kits are so danged accurate, you should really think about aiming for EIB and then Centurion, which should be easy to do.  If you could post a few photos of the gaps it would be really helpful... (we love photos)!

Thanks for all for your responses.  I'll try to get some pics posted.

I think I'll need about a 2" shim on each side.  I ordered a few pieces of 4x16" ABS shim plastic from Trooper Bay.  Since this is largely going to be a temporary extension, my plan is to keep all of the original hardware (snaps, elastic, etc.) 100% in tact and just attach the shims with industrial strength velcro.  I'd prefer not to have any "gaps" at all in the torso area and manage the space diff with the shims.  As I "reduce my size" (LOL), I could also trim down the shims  - At least that's the plan!

All of the other armor fits well.  The only one that is on the tight side are the bicep pieces.  

I was also kind of surprised on how "cheap" the helmet was.  I don't mean the "wonkiness" of the finish (I was expecting that) but the fact that the helmet is on the small side, comes with a cheaply cut and insterted piece of foam, no "grill" for the mouth part, and a soft plastic lens material that is like paper that's not even glued.  I don't mind as much as I had already ordered an Anovos helmet which I fully decked out with UKS wraths upgrades. 

I need to get a solution going as I'm keen to get my approval for the 501st ASAP.

Thanks

It may be a while before you receive your Anovos bucket, but if you need a screen for the frown in your RS helmet for approval just PM me and I will send you one no charge.

Also, you may not even need the foam in the top of your helmet.  I installed a piece in mine during my build, and noticed that it caused it to ride really high, causing the "bobble-head" effect, which I have frequently seen on others.  I removed it, and viola... problem solved.  The top of my head doesn't touch the top of my bucket anyway, so no need for it.

Hey, I appreciate the response and offer for the screen. I apologize that I wasn't clear before regarding the helmet. I actually had ordered the Anovos version back in March. Since then I've received it and painted and upgraded the interior with the electronics.  

Thanks! 

You have to remember that when buying RS you are buying screen accuracy . 

The RS helmet comes with exact screen accurate foam Star inside , ad with exact screen accurate acetate lense matterial . That's what they used in the movie, so that's what RS supply . 

As to mesh behind the frown , the movie helmets didn't have it , so RS don't fit it. It's simply not screen accurate .

personally I'd rather have screen accuracy , that's what it's all about for me , and as to trooping with a screen accurate helmet , no,problems, I've been doing it for years . 

As to the anavos helmet , well it's up to you but it is far from accurate , the only thing it has going for it is that it's the same size as an RS . 

1 hour ago, Rob .T . said:

You have to remember that when buying RS you are buying screen accuracy . 

The RS helmet comes with exact screen accurate foam Star inside , ad with exact screen accurate acetate lense matterial . That's what they used in the movie, so that's what RS supply . 

As to mesh behind the frown , the movie helmets didn't have it , so RS don't fit it. It's simply not screen accurate .

personally I'd rather have screen accuracy , that's what it's all about for me , and as to trooping with a screen accurate helmet , no,problems, I've been doing it for years . 

As to the anavos helmet , well it's up to you but it is far from accurate , the only thing it has going for it is that it's the same size as an RS . 

I didn't know that the helmet was that screen accurate!  LOL.  I guess that I was looking from a "501st" prospective - meaning that one has to do some additional tweaking to the helmet to make it a bit more "troop-able".

I appreciate your knowledge and input!

Sergio