DV's slowly but surely FOTK

deadvision

I have had my kit for well over a year and a half (shame on me). After tackling a Shore build I feel much more confident working on this.

Jim armor v1 or 2, unsure.

Mitcheg1 V2 helmet and an Anovos.

Already have most of the other bits and pieces sourced, only need gaskets.

Not much to report yet, I've only begun some sanding of the raw pieces.

Currently in the stages of finishing my test piece, butt plate to see how I like my finishing work. As of now haven't filled in any pinholes or small scratches.

Going to see if they end up bothering me or are noticeable with my test piece.

Alot of work but determined to get it done this time.

2f42b7dabc0d68d6f8f8b6747e13b0f4.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Progress is progress! As long as you're doing something you're moving forward.

Jim's kit take a little extra time in prep but is certainly a nice and easy build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Okay just got my test pieces back from drying.

This piece had no prep work done but basic sanding and priming.

91553e66303266d870589d1f4f5344ca.jpgc7d4932714bd93d8250e48fff8712caf.jpg

Now I'm very happy with the way it looks. However here is close up of the imperfections.

918565caee43af504793843b899a406b.jpgac4d135eceb1ee584e9f6b0a34fe5066.jpg

I think it will pass and I'll be happy. Im not looking to have this build perfect, especially since it will take a beating because of the material.

I think it will look perfect from a few feet away and you'd really have to look and know to find the imperfections. Looking for opinions. Keep in mind I have 3 other kits I need to build.

At the end of the day it's really your call.

I worked with Jim's v4 kit and was finding pinholes continually. Personally, whilst I wanted every one gone I realised that was entirely unrealistic.

As you identify, from a few feet away no-one is going to be looking that closely - though you should probably give a little more live to your chest piece than anything else as it is front and centre.

There is an automotive product here wihich is called spot putty, you may have a similar product available there. Not as hard as bondo, comes as a smooth paste which when dry can be sanded wet or dry with fine to medium sandpaper, may be an option for the pin holes.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

There is an automotive product here wihich is called spot putty, you may have a similar product available there. Not as hard as bondo, comes as a smooth paste which when dry can be sanded wet or dry with fine to medium sandpaper, may be an option for the pin holes.

Your U.S. equivalent is 3M Glazing and Spot Putty. I shipped some over and used it on my Jim kit. Miracle stuff and I still have 3/4's of a tube left.

Doesn't take much to sand but you'll need to decide whether you want that level of pain factor.

You'll know best Isaac!

• 3 weeks later...

Force Friday has given me a second wind. And I'm determined to make a lot of progress this month despite now working full time.

So today I revisited the chest and decided to cut out the holes and slot. Boy was that a task but I think the end result will be worth it!2555663eca93a297f123f1b86ab3fd6a.jpg

Now Force Friday also got me second thinking and I'm really liking the look of this guy!d5aa9568745c50ec8f97ce40b83ff279.jpg

Time to internally debate!

I had a saying during my build..."Progress is progress". Every little step gets you in the right direction

That's going to be my motto too! And hopefully by October we will be looking close to finish.

Btw might need a belt kit!

Exciting times! There are certainly a few FOTKE's in the works. I'm working on mine as an alternate to my standard FOTK.

Will be interesting to see how many are formally approved to troop at a local level until an offical CRL is created.

Exciting times! There are certainly a few FOTKE's in the works. I'm working on mine as an alternate to my standard FOTK.

Will be interesting to see how many are formally approved to troop at a local level until an offical CRL is created.
I definitely will not be one of the first. But I'm happy to be one eventually, that Laser Axe has a presence.

I would think the crl wouldn't take too long, considering the differences aren't very drastic.

• Like 1

Coming along nicely, every little bit adds up in the end, keep up the good work and you will be there in no time ;)

Now that's more like it. A quick sanding and can swap did the trick. Just a little more progress chipped off the mountain. a88b6c12bac409782cbb10f491efa6fa.jpg

Great work! What paint did you go with? Nice finish.

Great work! What paint did you go with? Nice finish.

I'm usuing the Rustoleum 2x painters touch for everything. This is just the flat black. Luckily had some left over from my Shore build!

39 minutes ago, deadvision said:

I'm usuing the Rustoleum 2x painters touch for everything. This is just the flat black. Luckily had some left over from my Shore build!

Cool. I'm using the RustOleum Flat Black Universal. I used the same brand Gloss White on my kit so figured I'd stick to the same type. Now just waiting for my spare bells and yoke to arrive :)

• 4 weeks later...