Uxorious' first build - the road to 501st

Uxorious

On 10/30/2019 at 5:07 PM, Uxorious said:

So I did some test fitting and it seems to me I will need 5,5cm gaps on the side. Now I am going for basic approval, so as I understand it this should be ok.

I am 6"2 so I believe I need these gaps on the back also to get everything aligned. Should be ok?

Hopefully tomorrow I will make the holes and put in the snaps for the belt, back and the "extra" on the ab. All will be the type I have picture of below. This is ok to use for all these spots, right?

The distance between my markes for the belt snaps is 33,5cm on the ab plate. The distance on the belt seems to be 33,7cm. I'm thinking its safer to make the holes so it's a bit shorter rather then a bit to far apart...am I right? Coz the belt will handle 0,2cm shorter.. I think.

1.  For basic approval you should be fine with those side gaps.

2.  Yes, due to your height those gaps should be fine.

3.  That should be fine, but I would highly suggest putting a snap in the center as well, which will keep the belt from sagging in the front.  Note that ideally the top of the ABS belt should sit at or just above the ab-button plate(s) as seen below:

saNNTgh.jpg?1   f8U1YCc.jpg?1

• Like 1

Hang in there....you’re doing a good job .
I remember being on the same boat as you ! I would spend 1-3 hrs every day with my armor. Setting small achievable steps would help my confidence.
The journey of 1000 miles, BEGINS with the 1st step. Well you’re way beyond that !!!
Keep it up !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Well, I am a lot more positive these days. Feel I know what to do and I really do believe i can get there within the next few weeks.

Just got the last popper snaps I need (for the cod to back) and need some sowing done before I can install the rest of the strapping.

Feel like my last obsticles are getting the shoulder bells to connect tight to my neck and do the adjustments to the belt. A bit scared about cutting in the fabric to get fabric to cover the holes....

Pictures will come during weekend i hope. 

So now i am actualy thinking about what ID number to put in my application :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

If I put in the split rivets (painted white) on the ab and the back, does the strapping need to be aligned with them, or can I put the snaps in between?

Also - made some male snaps on som abs, but the build up a bit on the glue side. Is that an issue? Can I get flatter snaps, or is this me overthinking? See pics for two types I have made. 92c613e0bc892a4b026922fbf122fbd2.jpg1d2ecd0d9415bc6b3ce1e4acb5a40e26.jpg

Sent fra min SM-G960F via Tapatalk

You can put the ab/kidney strapping anywhere that it fits, as it's inside and will not affect approval at any level.  They don't make flatter snaps, which is why I suggest mounting the snaps in heavy nylon.  ABS is flat, which can prevent them from conforming to the curves completely and can result in an uneven or weak bond in some cases,

I have a tutorial here that explains it a bit better.

For rivets, just be sure the placement is correct before adding strapping.  Note that the measurements are from the center of the rivet.  Rivets on both kidney and ab should line up horizontally.

ILNmZFM.jpg?1

• Like 1

If I put in the split rivets (painted white) on the ab and the back, does the strapping need to be aligned with them, or can I put the snaps in between?

Also - made some male snaps on som abs, but the build up a bit on the glue side. Is that an issue? Can I get flatter snaps, or is this me overthinking? See pics for two types I have made. 92c613e0bc892a4b026922fbf122fbd2.jpg&key=9b130ff2d2f299cc86e99771d2db78d1f7b51bbd87a47e5568d859812a98de7a1d2ecd0d9415bc6b3ce1e4acb5a40e26.jpg&key=2149f45da7246fffdf0763e258f49e69164948f604f8202bf7e741cac165bf73

What Joseph said, I would ALSO encourage you to add another piece of abs to the male snap and drill a hole on the base to make it more flush AND more surface to bind to the armor.

You can put the ab/kidney strapping anywhere that it fits, as it's inside and will not affect approval at any level. 

Well, I will have a few cm opening on the side. Going for basic approval, but ofc its black straps on black under suit, so I guess it's ok. The rivets are placed after the measurements you posted. Measured many times :)

Guys - I just got approved yesterday.
I am now TK-92019

Feels really good to finally have reached this goal, and be ready for the troop at my local cinema on the premiere in just 2 days.

I would really like to thank you guys. This has been my main source of help and advice. Means more then I can express, and the answers have been fast and helpful.

Everyone who reply here! THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Specially want to thank UKsWrath aka Tony. Your guide and answers here have been so vital. If I ever meet you, I want to buy you a beer or a coke..or both.
TheSwed... same applies to you m8. Guys like you motivated me a lot.

Also wanna mention TK-1650 for the helpful snap sheets and TK-300 for the snap guide.

795a6e073e033e509e69936b4dc0bf6d.jpg

• Like 2

Thank you guys. I am really happy. Looking forward to my first troop tomorrow. 

My Blaster is a Disney Park toy that i put clay in, filled the screw holes and painted/ weathered. This is not approved, so I will need to see about finding a weapon. 

Two questions from me that i ponder about:

1. If you have a weapon - lets say a DLT-19 sniper blaster or an E-11 - is there any standard way to mark it or make it not look real, that is used by 501st?

2. Guessing this question comes up eery now and then, but can I use a Pauldron, or can those only be used by Sandy / HWT?

Ty, guys

At official troops the 501st organizer will have coordinated with the event sponsor whether or not weapons are permitted. It will vary by location, and some events may will also require tagging the blaster in some way (the local PD did that at a recent Atlanta event). Different states and localities will have different laws and regulations regarding public display of replica weapons.

As for pauldrons, at canon events they are reserved for Sandys and HWT if you’re an OT TK. At non-canon events you can do what you want, but keep in mind that, for better or for worse, a pauldron will make you stand out from the TKs around you.

...but keep in mind that, for better or for worse, a pauldron will make you stand out from the TKs around you.

Thanks for clearing that for me.

Where I am from, we are only 2 TKs.

• Like 2

Had my first troop and everything helt up great. I managed to walk ok in stairs and nothing pressed too hard. We trooped for 5 hours, so was an ok test.

A great photographer took this picture of me. I have never looked this good before.

3b0b6264e8ae1d8f9204aa17784af2ca.jpg

Edited by Uxorious
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 2/5/2020 at 4:46 PM, TK 71627 said:

Wait till u go to EIB & then CENTURION !!!

Hehe, I wont. The community here is very small and i have 3 kids, full time work and all that stuff - so im 100% happy with how the armor is now. Seems to work well for troops and personaly i dont worry about the level of approval. Ill use a lot of time, but I am looking into starting on The Mandalorian - Din Djarin build. Love that character, music and really want that as a second option. 

• Like 2