Uxorious' first build - the road to 501st

Uxorious

Ok, so I'm starting a thread just to motivate myself to get some progression. I have had the Anovos kit now for some time and it is cut, but I have a hard time moving on from this point. Mainly because I want to be 100% sure that what I will do is correct, because I can't afford making mistakes.

I live in Norway (Bergen), and the total number of 501st members in Bergen are 2. I am hoping to soon be nr. 3. 

So there is not much of a community. No Armor Parties and also some of the stuff needed for building has to be bought online and shipped to Norway, coz they dont sell it anywhere here.

Still I hope that when I get done, I can join the 501st and we can make some local events and also travel to other Scandinavian events. Would be a long time dream come true. 

A few days ago I got all the soft parts - Gloves, neckseal, boots from Imperial Supply Depot and undersuit + balaclava from "Stormtrooperundersuit".

I have an E-11 blaster all painted and ready, and a voice amplifier for the classic TK voice. I feel I have all i need in my house, now I just need to assemble. 

I have read and looked at UKswrath guide and also the Youtube guide from Trooperbay to build my knowledge and my confidence, but it still feels low.

My issue now is feeling safe every part will fitt me and how to messure my underarm and wrist to be sure the fit is great. 

I will post some pictures as I "move along" - but right now I am at work, dreaming about building.... 

Edited by Uxorious
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

And this is where it stopped... I have close to anxiety issues with the build. 

Rough cuts have been made but moving from there - seems like a tall mountain to Climb - and i have no experiance climbing...

The kit i bought has moved from being a happy dream come true, to "homework" i should have done.... 

All the time i think about getting started - but I am a bit to sceared to begin. 

I was so exited - now I am a bit down...

Where I live, I have no chanse of an Armor Party. I am trying to read up a lot of the time

- but some things just set me back further then I am able to move forward.

I know it's small - but from the little i have done, I feel like I have failed so much already. 

And I am scared that doing things wrong will --- destroy the dream of getting this done.

I'll show you my errors.

Here are Imgur links (cant even figure out how to uploads here...)

https://imgur.com/lP24Owx

https://imgur.com/r8Uv9Wq

So - as for the build.... I guess I'll start with the biceps. Seems like the easiest.

Would be awesome to manage something without messing up. 

I have read UKsWrath guild over and over. I have seen Trooperbay YT video over and over. 

So the hard part is feeling safe I have the correct size for my arm. When I put on the undersuit, tape the pices together and put them on I feel like I shouldnt take anything off. 

But then i hold my arms down by my side, my chest pushes the biceps armor out, so that the upper part sticks out a bit on the exterior siden. All the leverage I have gathers on that side - I'd say about 2 cm, maybe less. I have kept the return edges on both top and bottom. Will the shoulderbell cover this or should i cut the biceps to make it more narrow on the top.

Will cutting the return edge on the top help this situation? Like if i cut the return edge of the top - I guess I will have to narrow the upper part of the biceps before gluing.

I am also afraid to cut the return edges, because I do not have a guideline to help me make good cuts. Cutting stright lines is not thing, then I can allways use the ruller. Cutting curves seems hard and - from my mistake at the shoulderbells - I see that making one bad cut can make a weakness in the armor that can result in some really bad stuff. 

https://imgur.com/6PkTUrj

Hello from Canada Fredrik! First of all, you can do it. I know the feeling of being terrified of making a mistake. I was there too. I had no armour parties to go to either. All I had was the support of this forum. The FISD members helped me through it. You can do it.

What I see from your 3 pictures if fine. Nothing horrible. First, the eye. Just use a little sandpaper to round that sharp corner. Not a big deal. Go slowly. Take your time and all will be fine.

The crack in the shoulder bell is fixable. You've started out repairing it properly. Again, not a big deal. What glue are you using? Can you get E6000 in Norway? If you can I think you would love using it. Super strong and it also allows you to pull things apart if you make a mistake. I have used two tubes of it (59.1ml) on my TK. It is smelly though and you'll need good ventilation. Another thing you could try for the repair is ABS paste. You'll need to make some. Search the FISD forum for the recipe. It's easy.

Your bicep looks like it could be a little smaller. For fitting it, try overlapping the joins and taping it a little smaller. See how that goes. Keep in mind that hard armour on a soft body is going to shift around. But joint construction is the way to go, but for fitting, before you cut, try overlapping as a rough guide.

As far as the return edge goes, they are not required at all. They look nice but are not necessary. Especially in the top of the bicep that no-one will ever see.

Post your height and weight here. There are troopers of all heights, weights and body types. Knowing your height and weight will allow troopers with a similar build to help you fit your armour better.

Keep posting questions, post lots of pics using the "Insert other Media" function and "Insert image from URL" within that. Then pics will appear on this page and not just the link.

You can do this Fredrik!  

Edited by Sean

Sean has given some really good advice there. I’d say we’re all a little anxious when we start. I certainly was - those first few cuts were a little daunting. However, after a few it gets much easier. :-)

Regarding uploading photos, personally, I find that the Tapatalk app is the easiest way to upload pictures and posts. That had I did my armour and blaster threads.

I’ll share this link but stress that it is a guide, rather than an exact. This is the maker of my armour showing how he constructs his armour. I followed this step by step for mine and (thankfully) it came out okay. Maybe have a look and see if it is helpful, but bare in mind that your armour might be slightly different to his.

As Sean said, Keep the questions coming and your chin up. You CAN do it!! :-)

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tnx Sean and Dan. 

My hight is 189cm, I think that is about 6"2' in US messurements.

I am 100kg, that would be about 220 lbs.

My biceps fit well on the low part, but are a bit wide at the top.

Is it smart to cut nothing at the bottom and more and more towards the top - ending up taking off about 0,5cm on both sides?

https://imgur.com/1qCbzrC

When i put the ruller along the side - that shows a stright line. The armor egde is not stright... It bends like a banana :)

Should I still cut it stright? or follow the original lines - just parallell? (dont know if i am making myself clear)

https://imgur.com/yAwYTlM

Even though i use Insert Media and Insert Image from URL, the picture doesnt show up. 

Are you using Imgur through a desktop browser?
If so, there’s an option to “generate links”. One of the options is then message boards and forums (or something along those lines. That one should show up okay when you copy and paste. :-)

35 minutes ago, Uxorious said:

Tnx Sean and Dan. 

My hight is 189cm, I think that is about 6"2' in US messurements.

I am 100kg, that would be about 220 lbs.

Perfect. Now other troopers of similar size might be able to help too.

My biceps fit well on the low part, but are a bit wide at the top.

Is it smart to cut nothing at the bottom and more and more towards the top - ending up taking off about 0,5cm on both sides?

Yes, cut nothing at the bottom, just like you said. More towards the top.

https://imgur.com/1qCbzrC

When i put the ruller along the side - that shows a stright line. The armor egde is not stright... It bends like a banana :)

Should I still cut it stright? or follow the original lines - just parallell? (dont know if i am making myself clear)

Cut it straight. This will help in many ways. Way easier to glue it up with a cover strip.

https://imgur.com/yAwYTlM

Even though i use Insert Media and Insert Image from URL, the picture doesnt show up. 

That's a strange one. Don't worry about that. Just keep posting pics and asking questions.

Allright - last night I jumped out in it and did left biceps. 

It looks good and in a few hours I can take the clapms off and see it finished. That excites me!

One question though - The glue is not very excessive, but a small portion is visable on some parts.

Any good way to deal With excessive glue?

Great stuff - sounds like you’re digging in! :-)

If it’s E6000, you can just rub it off with a thumb or finger. It’s wonderful stuff in that sense. Holds firm, but allows corrections if required. :-)

Hey Fredrik :salute: I saw that you looked at Tonys (ukswrath) Anovos build and Trooperbay and just wanted to recommend another great source and that is "armorbuilding with tk1636" on Youtube (in case you haven`t seen it) and he does an Anovos build - and like others said, just take it a step at a time and you`ll be a Stormtrooper before you know it :duim:

14 hours ago, CableGuy said:

Great stuff - sounds like you’re digging in! :-)

If it’s E6000, you can just rub it off with a thumb or finger. It’s wonderful stuff in that sense. Holds firm, but allows corrections if required. :-)

For tricky areas you can also use a PLASTIC knife/spudger to help with removal. Metal will score the plastic (that’s bad).

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I am done with both biceps - not a fast worker, but it has been done.

They fit me and I am ok with the result, but they are a bit more oval then what i feel my biceps is, but still i have no problem flexing with them.

I guess if i want to change the shape it would have to be waterbath - But i dont think it is worth it.

I took away most of the returnedge on the top, and about half at the bottom. I cut nothing at the lower part of the butt connection, and more and more as i reached the top, and - at the most - only about 1 cm.

I use E6000, but there is some excess glue on the side of the strips. How do i remove this best for a nice clean look?

I have never felt i have seen that on other troopers.

So the plan now is to do the forearms. Plan for that is to totaly remove the returnedge on the bottom / wrist part, and to keep about halp at the top / elbow part.

Anything I should think about?