Advice on UK silicone & clay?

Hey all,

So, I'm having trouble finding some good platinum silicone and suitable clay (no sulphur) in the UK. Or, more precisely, finding anything in the UK that gives good specifics about their silicone and whether the clay contains sulphur or not. I'm not going to get access to a vacuum chamber so ideally anything that will give me as little grief in terms of air bubbles as possible.

Doing my best to keep researching but is anyone able to point me in the right direction of good suppliers in the UK, especially if there's any good places in London that one could go into in person? Obviously, saving money is always good but I'd rather get good bang-for-my-buck then risk buying something too low quality.

Thanks.

Hi, Simon.

For silicone I like to use Bentley chemicals (Benam.co.uk) they're the UK stockists for smoothon so they have specific silicones and resins to suit pretty much every application. I'm pretty sure they have retail stores too although I'm not sure exactly where as I usually order from them online.

As for the clay, when it comes to sculpting for small to medium sized projects I use Chevant NSP medium which is a sulphur free oil based clay, and WED clay for larger projects although being water based you have to be careful with thin sections as it tends to dry faster in those areas, its easy enough to keep workable with a little water though.

For building clay walls etc I use Buff clay. 

Edited by RedSpecial

Benham have a retail in Feltham south London and I think Birmingham.

There's also PS-Composites in St Albans (call first to check they have what you want). These guys are one of the suppliers for Leavsden Studios and have been used in Star Wars films and also potters and all sorts. They sell some more oddity stuff like Gun foam etc

Mbfg which are in Ireland but popular and competitive on pricing and shipping. I suspect the R1 shore helmets use one of the resins they sell but need to order some to test for that brown hue.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2017 at 0:16 PM, themaninthesuitcase said:

Benham have a retail in Feltham south London and I think Birmingham.

There's also PS-Composites in St Albans (call first to check they have what you want). These guys are one of the suppliers for Leavsden Studios and have been used in Star Wars films and also potters and all sorts. They sell some more oddity stuff like Gun foam etc

Mbfg which are in Ireland but popular and competitive on pricing and shipping. I suspect the R1 shore helmets use one of the resins they sell but need to order some to test for that brown hue.

Thanks, that's excellent. Thanks to you guys, I've got a much better idea of how to proceed making my molds.