The new Laws TK bucket...discussion

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll certainly concede a lack of knowledge here as a newcomer, but having read this on going argument here, in other posts and even other prop forums I've learnt only one thing - I'll never buy armour from either Gino or TE

The laws helmet looks nice but why add the tear detail and NOT the other bumps????

Ā 

And i'm wondering when this tear/trap detail was taken out on purpose by the caster if it was a known fact the detail had been taken out by the people who purchased helmets from this mold or if they thought they were geting all the details of a screen used helmet?

Ā 

Just wondering?

And i'm wondering when this tear/trap detail was taken out on purpose by the caster if it was a known fact the detail had been taken out by the people who purchased helmets from this mold or if they thought they were geting all the details of a screen used helmet?

Ā 

Just wondering?

Ā 

Ā 

??

GINO:quoted

Ā 

It's nice.

Nice and idealized, re-worked and over-sharpened. What happened to all the warts that are supposed to be there?

That detail in the teardrops is NOT how it looks on the film helmets.

I'm the only one with a faceplate mold that has those tear details intact. I know because I was there when it was removed from the molds sent back to matt. Pretty smart huh? I have to hand it to my partner at the time to remove that tear detail as well as "adjust" the other surface details to a point where you could never achieve a screen accurate pull. Makes it easy to spot recasts. It was genius of him. We've NEVER offered up a helmet with the tear details present and for good reason.

Ā 

This is what i was refering to when i was asking on my earlier post. I just never knew about the tear details before reading these posts.

Guys - enough of the baiting/picking back and forth - I just deleted 6 posts and would hate to start suspending people, but will if that kind of thing carries on. Save it for the RPF.

I'll certainly concede a lack of knowledge here as a newcomer, but having read this on going argument here, in other posts and even other prop forums I've learnt only one thing - I'll never buy armour from either Gino or TE

Ā 

I wouldnt say that, what I would say is that Gino is a bit expensive for my blood and that if I were to buy a Helmet from Matt I would try to time it such that he wasnt "off his medication" at the time as he can be a bit bipolar for my taste.

By this time next year I hope to have a TK and working towards being a TD. I'm glad we have multiple vendors out there to equip the empire. We should never get too reliant on one or two vendors, or too few vendors. The more vendors we have out there the more likely we are to have many new troopers for years to come.

Ā 

As with the military and law enforcement, uniforms and equipment vary from vendor to vendor. Sometimes minor, and sometimes not-so-minor. Some differences make for higher quality products. At any rate, diversity in products is unavoidable. Again, for the good of the Legion, I'm glad their are choices available, and I hope there will be many more choices for the future of the legion.

Ā 

So I hope the artists /Vendors and their supporters will quit ripping on one another and be more supportive of each other. Always take the high road in your debates over the armor you are championing. Attitudes can either positively or negatively affect the perception and desire for your product of choice. You may find you are having a reverse of the desired results. I know my opinion has been impacted by the level of expression in this debate.

Heck I'll say it, it's the most accurate stormtrooper helmet ever. :wub: (granted, that means most accurate of the others made while not yet 100% accurate to the film piece itself, I'm a sucker for details!)

Bah, I can do better!

" Since the invention of the helmet there have been five helmets that were rated the most passionate, the most pure. This one leaves them all behind!"

:duim:

JJ

Agreed. One of, if not THE, best out there.

In light of the new discovery of the dimples in the tear traps, would someone who owns a Shepperton helmet look to see the dimples are present. If the helmet is not a recast of the TE line and is from the original molds as AA claims, it stands to reason that a Shepperton Helmet should have the dimples as well. Hopefully a Shepperton owner can put my suspicions to rest.

Oh well by TE line I meant the decendants of the DaveM and Brian R helmets. Same difference in my eyes. I talked to 1491 about his SDS and he said the dimples arent there because its a battlespec. Anybody have the stunt helemt? I rememebr Danny Choo had an SDS but it was the BattleSpec as well.

I do have an SDS, but it is a Battle Spec, openly claimed not to be from any original molds. It is their (supposedly) stylized, cleaned up product. And, it is dimple-less.

The SDS comparison should technically be made to their Stunt helmet. If anyone has one of those, it could be checked.

A quick visit to the sds website shows closeups that are somewhat inconclusive imo (if I had to guess from the pics I'd say they aren't there):

Ā 

closeups of the Stunt, from the SDS website:

popup-elmetto10.jpg

popup-elmetto7.jpg

I still believe that the bubble in the tears is nothing more than a cooling line. Similar to the ones in the cap in backs when they are formed cold. They are not consistent in the film and always appear to me to be only half shaped not a full "weenie" if you will :) The laws helmet is over emphasized.

I always thought the bubble in the tears are from the laquer that has released from the surface. But after comparing it to some other original screen used helmets it was always there. Another reason for that could be that air was catched in the tear area. If the vac machine had a standard configuration of all settings like vac pressure, heat and position of the face mold the bubble could appear always there. It can appear nearly always the same shape. So it looks like it was part of the mold. That was just a thought. The different pulls in sharpness speaks against this theory.

Ā 

Ā 

Marcus

I still believe that the bubble in the tears is nothing more than a cooling line. Similar to the ones in the cap in backs when they are formed cold. They are not consistent in the film and always appear to me to be only half shaped not a full "weenie" if you will :) The laws helmet is over emphasized.

Good thing I had the fortune of molding a real ANH helmet so that I could later replicate that detail faithfully. The second helmet Matt owned had the same detail. It was very obviously carved into the mold. Gino can attest to that.